Train Sim World 2 - Climb Aboard The Clinchfield

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Apr 8, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

If this is a switch open on main 'suddenly' - probably unintentional :)

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You are saying that, based on an invisible obstruction (and no signal), the driver of an 8000-ton coal train is going to stop it on a 1.6% upgrade, just to check whether points are set to avoid the obstruction he's unaware of (it would require him walking half a mile up and another back to find that out). And is he to do it at every switch he encounters along his route?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  3. solicitr

Note that this isn't a shunting scenario. It's a Point A to Point B, with no stops at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

So you don't use the map to set your switches? That's admirable. Wish I had that kind of energy!;)
    Seriously though, setting your switches isn't just for yard work. The game repeatedly reminds you to clear your path before you set off even if the objective marker is miles away. Admittedly, a lot of the time, switches are set for you in scenarios, but I never take that for granted. Your unfortunate experience is a case in point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If any part of your train is in a tunnel, it will not work. Not just your lead locomotives.

breblimator did not assume anything. He merely conjectured a possible scenario. Now you have only made an arse of yourself.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

:D

It is enough that some part of the train is still in the tunnel. On PC left/right arrows works 100% - console - I don't know :(

7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Let me be your console informant again :D

On a basic PS4, left/right arrow works 100% as long as no part of your train is in a tunnel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blackwolf

Blackwolf Member

Dosen't matter if it an A to B scenario as long you have manual points and you have to leave the Main line. Probably in the real world some of this points a locked with a Key to Secure the point.
    That mean that you have to stop unlock the points and check the path.
    Normaly also here is Norway when you are shinting you are a 2 man crew.
    A driver and a conductor. The driver is driving and the conductor is using the points, couple cars and are the eyes of the driver when you are backing a train.
    In every aspect of those operations you need to check your path. Its a part of the job.
    They way DTG is doing it here is just it how its working irl.
    They giving the player a challenge and the main thing when driving trains like this you need to be well in advance.

9. solicitr

Again, this was not shunting! This was a line move.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blackwolf

Blackwolf Member

K
    I know but that is not taking away the responsibility to check the manual points.
    For me is half the fun to expect the unexpected.

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

Manual points with which there is nothing discernably wrong when you pass them; the obstruction/collision is invisible, half a mile away around a bend.

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When you switch to dynamic brakes it releases the notch mechanics in the control stand that allows full control of the throttle for the fine adjustment of the dynamic brakes. This is how it works in the real train.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. solicitr

Seriously? They did that in 1948?
    There would be some serious clockwork mechanicals inside the control stand, to make that work.

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I believe it was an electromagnetic device of some sorts. I read it in the operators manual that I found online.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Lamplight

Just checked the official SD40 manual:
    C375E1D5-1DC3-47A9-BFDB-3F5DF5FF9C07.jpeg

Source: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/sd40-man.html

Edit: Just to clarify - the very last paragraph is the important one and proves what stujoy said.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  16. Crosstie

Not invisible on the map, which you seem reluctant to use. We!!, I think we're all barking at the moon, here, so I'll wait until I get to that scenario and see for myself. But I will play it my unrealistic way, I'm afraid.

17. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Also if I can I throw in my 2 cents about the switches here there is something very common in real life which DTG hasn't seemed to take into consideration.

I'm talking about Spring Switches!

So most lines in the US use spring switches which are designed so that once the train rides over the points they automatically fall back into the original position so that one doesn't have to get out and realign the points after going over them. These absolutely would be used in the areas where you have to back into sidings for loading coal etc. Perhaps those don't exist in Europe but they are super common here.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The SD40 is quite a bit younger than that.

Cheers

19. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

I have a question regarding whistle posts, are they on this route? It’s hard to know where crossings are without them.

20. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

That's why you enter into a contract with the using company.

21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

But do you have permission from who you recorded to obtain the audio from to use it in a commercial application? If not, they still cant use it. Period.

22. sd9043mac

sd9043mac New Member

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to argue. So you're saying that if someone records the horn of a locomotive from public property, they can be sued by the railroad if that recording is used for commercial purposes. That's the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

23. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

That's what DTG said, I'm just saying that's why they wont take community supplied audio.

24. solicitr

No, not really. The point is, you could very well record a passing train from public property. But DTG don't know that you did. You have no proof of it, and they would (sensibly) require a paper trail before they dared use a recording of (to them) completely unknown provenance. As far as they know, it could have been taken from a commercial train video, or recorded while trespassing. Without proof that the recording is clean, they can't undertake the legal risk.

Now, it might be different if one, say, were to contact a heritage railway and secure permission, in writing, to come and record their engine. Hypothetical, but it's the legally safe way to proceed.

25. solicitr

Whoops, you're right. Momentary confusion with the F3/F7. But 1965 is still quite a long time ago.

26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

More hours behind me. It is still very good and sometimes even phenomenal.
    But, enough of these flatteries. End of summer.

Perhaps CRR will receive (following SEHS) some post-launch patch.
    I ignore unrealistic wishes, I only present 'small' requests that may be fulfilled:

-- possible fixes
    - SD 40 AFM indicator (it is not working)
    - inverted selector lever bindings for dynamic brake
    - SD 40 improper ~10 PSI initial reduction (should be 6 PSI)
    - buged (?) F7 headlights & other similar SD 40 lighting problems

-- a matter of honor :D
    - promised proper SD 40 horn (Matt & Sam, stream)
    - manuals & / or tutorial videos (I suggest thematic eg brakes settings, cab tour...)

-- TSW core prayers
    - buged horns (& bells?) - no audio / looped audio (occasionally) (TSW core bug?)
    - missing objectives after loading a saved game (DTG ask for broken files samples) (TSW core bug)
    - PCS open during coupling - explanation (or fix) for this community trained professionals :) (TSW core issue perhaps)

-- dreams
    - tiles without grass - maybe this is some procedural fauna possible fix in these places, without scenery reworking?

This is not a complaint or the beginning of a new difficult discussion, only a report of minor nuisances :) BR o7
    PS I almost forgot about <wild turtles attacking conductors during yard switching> request!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  27. vogelm10

Nope DTG seems not to place these on any of their NA routes...same problem with LIRR, SPG, and Oakville Sub.

It's obvious now when it comes to NA lines they really don't have the same level of knowledge as they do for European ones which is understandable saying as it would be hard for a smaller studio to fly out scouts to photo the line and all. I really do wish that they would listen more to all of us players who do live here when we point these mistakes out though. 1 line ok, but to keep repeating it for 3 or 4....less ok.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  28. Lamplight

I don‘t quite follow. SPG does have whistle posts. As does SFJ for that matter. It doesn‘t strike me like DTG don‘t place them as a general rule.

Please don‘t. I‘ve just gotten used to the way it is :D

The F7 works correctly in my experience, but you‘ve got to move the transition lever away from off before you set the headlights. The SD40 headlights are odd though. Specifically for the last loco of your consist.

Might I suggest manual transition as another topic? I know that the F7 has automatic transition, but it‘s fun to play around with manual transition. I already read a lot about it in an F2/F3 manual. :)

Edit: spelling

Edit 2: added a lot of words I forgot

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I sometimes think of the 2D map, which I also consult frequently while driving, as a partial substitute for a real-life engineer's knowledge of the route. I'm not at all hesitant to press that 9 key while driving.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

I do remember Matt explained in the first stream of Clinchfield about the headlights. They would be too bright during the day and would washout the signs. He did say he hasn’t found a way to code them to light up the ground only at night. It just means he had to tone down the lights for American trains

31. vogelm10

K signal guide made in the creative commons.

• Like Like x 1
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

where exactly? :D

33. vogelm10

Crr line guide is the title. I stuck it in creative center.

34. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

I notice sometimes the horn doesn’t work

• Like Like x 1
  36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

source

37. solicitr

I don't quite understand what you're saying. The selector lever (for me, on PC), works the same way whether in-cab or on keyboard: 4-3-2-1-Off-B, in that order

38. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The more I play CRR the more I love it, I don't even remember the last time I had so much fun in TSW. You've done a great job at capturing the feel of the line here DTG and it's a very enjoyable experience. I just wish there were fewer bugs, as they can be quite annoying.

Perhaps a GP7 loco dlc could further improve the variety and add one or two mainline runs to the timetable, as there aren't that many right now.

• Like Like x 7
  39. LastTrainToClarksville

In the tutorials (much better than average, I think), we're told that switches are manually operated, meaning, of course, get off your duff, climb out of the cab, and walk to that switch and back. However, the next time one or more switches must be changed the instructions don't mention it and the change can be done via the 2D map. Should this be referred to as the "switching honor system"? Should we use the 2D map and just pretend that a brakeman has made the change or stop at each switch that needs changing, & etc.? Personally, I usually prefer a mixture of techniques and am willing to compromise with realism and what some folks refer to as "immersion", but consistent or at least complete (i.e.: specifying that one or more switches will have to be changed) instructions would be preferable.

40. solicitr

What's worst is when manual switches that need resetting are hidden behind a "Go Via" instruction that blanks the rest of the path

• Like Like x 2
  41. breblimator

breblimator Guest

True. I would prefer general instructions like rail cars from track R1 switch to R2 any way you like.

42. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

It would make me such a happy camper to have LABLED yard maps and just instructions on where to put stuff, you figure out how it gets there just put it there. I’m not a fan of being spoon fed everything you need to do, often to a very inefficient extent.

• Like Like x 6
  43. Crosstie

No question that the map needs text to indicate locations, especially in the yards. The TS202X map is so much better in that regard. So, instead of just "couple to 15 cars" or "stop as indicated" we could have "couple to 10 tankers in siding 1123" or " stable the loco in engine siding 2" plus stations and yards could be named. As it is now, we have just follow the blue line ( bouncing ball, as it were). I can't see it on the Roadmap, though I thought it was there at one time.

• Like Like x 4
  44. solicitr

Back to the issue at Moss: there is no way IRL that that situation would not have been guarded by a signal. There should be a Restricting light or a Stop-and-Proceed.

45. solicitr

I have never understood what's so hard about just transferring the TS map system to TSW. It works fine and is extremely informative.

• Like Like x 2
  46. LastTrainToClarksville

Here's another example of contradictory instructions, this one occurring in the SD-40 tutorial:
    Instructions 1 & 2: climb aboard and sit in the engineer's seat. So far, so good.
    Instruction 3: Set Main Breaker to closed. Whoa!!! The main breaker is located inside a control cabinet that cannot be accessed while sitting in the engineer's seat. Does anyone ever proof-read or, perhaps, test-drive these activities?
    Of course, having left the seat to open the cabinet, turn on the main breaker and close the cabinet, it becomes necessary to once again sit in the engineer's seat. Are there instructions for these movements? NOOOOO!!!!!!

Now, some one will scold me by pointing out that any lunkhead who has cold started an SD-40 will know these things without being told. However, isn't it entirely possible that said lunkhead has not previously cold started an SD-40? Of course it is, so the tutorial should include the above instructions {quod erat demonstrandum}.

Finally, I will once again point out that a user's manual would easily contain this information (well, perhaps, knowing DTG;s manuals) -- but such a manual is not yet available for Clinchfield, is it?

A tutorial should make learning easier, not more difficult; shouldn't it?

Basta così!

• Like Like x 2
  47. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea that has potential to change the way we interact with our objectives!

• Like Like x 1
  48. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I believe the reason for having to sit first is so the physics engine is enabled in the unit you are starting (as otherwise you would not be able to start it).

I do agree however the return to seat instruction could be a good addition.

• Like Like x 5
  49. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You can get there successfully while sitting.
    Use available other interior cameras or arrows <- -> (PC) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
  50. Crosstie

Exactly right. Are you sure that this is a real problem? There are probably dozens of instances in the game where you have to get off your tush to reach a switch or lever.

• Like Like x 1