Chatham Mainline: London Victoria To... Faversham...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, May 15, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Yep. London - Faversham. Again.
    Well, hear me out. The Chatham Mainline has been requested quite a few times I've seen. After all SEHS was a high-speed focused route (in my opinion the Kent Section is better but that's just me) So I am suggesting this to serve Southeastern and it's network with a truly Commuter-based route.
    Introduction
    The Chatham Mainline is a key is busy commuter corridor in the south of Wales, this proposal being the line between London Victoria and Faversham with the line branch to Sheerness (also well-requested)
    Route Length
    53 Miles

Operations
    Operators

Southeastern
    Rolling Stock
    Included (With route)

Class 375
    ss_80bdaef1f6300fa6d3632d2566f8d852180f51f8.1920x1080.jpg
    Class 377
    1280px-Southeastern_375501_at_Victoria.jpg
    Layers from SEHS
    Class 395 Javelin
    Ss_331fa05acc3b05bee7a9cceec1af98d3c4e4475f.1920x1080.jpg

DLC (not potential, just DLC.)
    Class 465 + 466 'Pack' (466 new)
    1280px-465195_at_Tonbridge.jpg
    1280px-466003_at_Ashford_International.jpg

Services
    I couldn't find info on what train does what service outside the obvious Javelin services.
    • 1tph Victoria to Faversham [Ramsgate] (Commuter Trains)
    • 1tph Victoria to Faversham (Dover) (Commuter Trains)
    • 1tph Victoria to Faversham via Gillingham & Catford Loop (Dover) (Commuter Trains)
    • 1tph [St Pancras] Rochester - Faversham (Class 395)
    • 1tph [St Pancras] Rochester - Faversham [Ashford via Dover then St Pancras]
    • 2tph Sittingbourne - Sheerness-on-sea (Class 466, Class 375)
    • 2tp-peak Victoria - Sheerness (Westbound in Morning, Eastbound in Evening) (Class 466/375)
    • 1tpd Sheerness - Gillingham (Class 466/375)
    Stations

Terminus Stations in Bold
    (Branches in Brackets)
    Depots, Yards & Sidings in Italics
    ------------------------------------

London Victoria
    (Catford Loop branches off)
    Mainline:

Brixton
    Beckenham Jcn.
    Shortlands
    Loop:

Denmark Hill
    Peckham Rye
    Nunhead
    Crofton Park
    Catford
    Bellingham
    Beckenham Hill
    Ravensbourne

(Lines Meet again)
    Bromley South
    St Mary Cray
    Swanley
    Farningham Road
    Longfield
    Meopham
    Sole Street
    Rochester
    Chatham
    Gillingham
    Rainham
    Newington
    (Junction to Sheerness Branch)
    Kemsley
    Swale
    Queenborough
    Sheerness-on-sea
    (Mainline)
    Sittingbourne
    Teynham
    Faversham

Route facts:
    53 Miles long
    Has 31 Stations
    Modern Day to fit in with SEHS

Reasoning:
    Read the first paragraph. :)
    Thanks for reading.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

A good suggestion. I think many will agree, me included, that the high speed part of Southeastern High Speed was the worst part. Going mostly through tunnels and a lack of stopping at stations is dull. Hopefully we get another commuter-focused Southeastern route like the one you mentioned or similar.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I'd like this and would happily purchase it. It's maddening having to end London Victoria-bound trains at Gravesend, and that will only get more frustrating when LV-B opens up!

• Like Like x 3
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and for this route if made by DTG 375 & 377 DLC Class 465 & 466 can layer here onto SEHS and implement a linked route with SEHS. In the case of SEHS Classes 377 375 465 & 466 final stop shared by Class 395 which goes to St Pancras do you wish to continue to London Victoria Yes or No? If Yes Chatham Main Line boots up for you assuming both Chatham Main Line & SEHS are owned. On the other hand, no gives you these options return to Main Menu Continue Journey, and return to free roam.

• Like Like x 3
  5. trainsimplayer

I should also add that this poses a lot of pros to dovetail should they make the route.
    1) It's local again
    2) It's also on Train Simulator
    3) Southeastern are clearly willing to work with them
    4) All trains have been prior made (I imagine the 377 would need a couple of changes from the original)
    5) The section between Faversham & Rochester has already been built (a few things could be better but thats minor fixes)
    6) A small part of the scenery at the junction for Sheerness sets that up as well.
    7) London Victoria, it's surrounding scenery and the track layout will show in Brighton Mainline.
    8) As you see in my route linking https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/route-linking.40393/ suggestion, there could be an opportunity to connect with BML and SEHS
    9) People are likely to get behind it, considering how many requests it has had.

6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I have to ask, what's the difference between a 465 & a 466? Is it length? Do we need yet another EMU?

Nice idea for a route ☺️

7. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

They are both EMU Networkers and run on 750 DC Third Rail. A difference between them is that, the 465 has 4 coaches and the 466 has 2 coaches. Also, the train formations with the 465 and 466 together can be: 6, 8 and 10 coaches.

• Like Like x 2
  8. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea. Thank you very much for suggesting the Chatham Mainline. It is one of my favourite UK Mainline routes, and we can have a Southeastern route that does include the Class 466 Networker.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainsimplayer

I should add in regards to the Class 465/466 'Bundle'.
    This would be the current Class 465 DLC.
    The 466 would only come on this route (so not SEHS) and would be what I call a 'Dual-DLC' where the requirement is SEHS OR Chatham Main.

10. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

Yes! Would love this! Though have you considered the branch to Orpington as well? I think it would be worth it (and also I know the area and am biased...)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

It would make sense to include the Orpington branch as there is a 4tph service that operates between Orpington and London Victoria along this route, plus i think the train simulator version of this route includes the Orpington branch as well

• Like Like x 1
  12. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion but I think its time the north or the Midlands get something modern. Plus we already have enough electrostars

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'd much prefer the North Kent Lines... The CML services tend to run fast from VIC to Bromley South and then fast again to Longfield.
    North Kent lines would run from Gravesend to Dartford (2tph, class 465 for the main) where the line then essentially splits into three, via Sidcup, Bexley and Woolwich.
    Joining up with the Kent Mainline and with another split at Charlton (one going to Lewisham, the other via Greenwich) the lines then converge between Lewisham and Millwall (just after New Cross) and go on through London Bridge to Cannon Street and Charing Cross.
    this would give huge service possibilities for the 465 and if they wanted to remodel the 375 into the 376 this would complete the whole line

Add to this you could then run aggregate and oil services from South of Strood and from Hoo / Cliffe all the way to Lewisham junction
    There are stabling sidings at Dartford, Plumstead, depot at Hither Green and Slade Green and a freight depot at Hither Green too.

This gives much greater service flexibility than the CML

***EDIT*** All of the above discounts the class 700 because I don't think it'll be in game for a long while. The 700 runs from Rainham to Gravesend then onto Dartford (additional 2tph to the above) then Abbey Wood, Woolwich Arsenal, Charlton then all stations via Greenwich to London Bridge before taking the spur off towards Blackfriars and Luton / St Albans City

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but maybe it's not the time for another south of England 3rd rail commuter route. I'd much rather see some electrified mainlines north of London.

Your suggestion is still good, but in my opinion DTG has to wait a while before doing another route like this (definetely now BML is coming).

• Like Like x 2
  15. trainsimplayer

I mean the majority of my recent-ish suggestion have been north and/or West:
    South Wales Network - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/south-wales-network-class-800-143-150.40378/
    North Clyde Line - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...helensburgh-balloch-airdrie-springburn.39708/
    ECML North - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/east-coast-mainline-edinburgh-newcastle.37930/
    ECML Scotland & Fife Circle - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/east-coast-mainline-edinburgh-dundee.40384/
    Riviera & Avocet Lines - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/riviera-avocet-lines-exmouth-paignton.39682/
    West Highland Line North - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/west-highland-line-fort-william-to-mallaig.39700/
    Ayrshire Coast & Paisley Canal Lines - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ayrshire-coast-paisley-canal-lines.38687/

The main reason I suggested this was so Southeastern Commuter services would finally get to London. I personally would rather something northern however considering the poor way that the HS1 section is I would like to see this. But I agree, the rest of the uk needs more.

16. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The only thing I have against this (right now) is that we don't have any traction for that area, and knowing DTG would probably only produce one train for the line you'd have a very barren looking run through North London.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think if this route were to be done, the opportunity should be taken to go retro, i.e. pre high speed anything, when CEPs (BEPs), VEPs and EPBs worked the trains. One of my favourite routes in old MSTS was the London and South East add on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kevint1972

kevint1972 Member

I'd love to see this, having spent much of my life commuting back and forth on it. My best friend even drove trains on part of it, from Orpington and Sevenoaks to Victoria. From a gameplay perspective it's also an interesting and challenging route, especially keeping the speed right going into London. Would be nice to get the Catford and Herne Hill branches like in Train Simulator if possible.

• Like Like x 2