Will Tsw Ever Have As Much Content Variety As Ts2021?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jolojonasgames, Jul 14, 2021.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, as we know TSW is not the only DTG product on the market. Many players will be familiar with the Train Simulator (formerly Railworks) franchise.

For me personally TS has only one big advantage over TSW (with TSW fitting me better in pretty much all other aspects): the variety. As you can tell from the amount of suggestions in my signature below I'm interested in quite a lot of routes, locos and new (or still little explored) countries. In TSW I'll probably have none of the routes I suggested anytime soon, but many are in TS, or TS has a route/train that is comparable.

Take for example my two '90s Germany suggestions (the Saalebahn and the Main-Weser-Bahn, please do check out both :)). These two routes, with all suggested rolling stock (including DLC) would for me totally satisfy the demand for rolling stock from this era. And guess what? All locos and rolling stock are available in TS (not the routes though), but the chances of them all being in TSW within the coming 5 years are small to say the least.

[​IMG]
    A picture from my Saalebahn in the '90s suggestion.

Then there's Dutch routes, something I and many other community members have been wanting a lot for a while now. Again Dutch routes and a lot of Dutch rolling stock is available in TS (including sections of the routes I suggested), but most of it is player-made content or at the very least 3rd party content, with a lot of dependencies on other DLC.

[​IMG]
    A Dutch ICMm, from my Enschede - Amersfoort CS suggestion
    Now these are just two examples, but there are many more (likte the ECML & WCML in the UK, Hamburg - Hannover and Köln - Koblenz, all paired with a virtual ocean of trains and coaches). I know that TS is a way older game, and has had over a decade to accumulate all it's content, however it seems TSW doesn't have nearly the same pace as TS. Someone could probably do the maths, but I don't think that TSW at it's current rate will have as much content variety in 10 years as TS does now. That probably makes some of you think 'why doesn't he just play TS then???'. Well, for me TSW is clearly the superior game, and I really can't get into TS again after it.

This begs the question how we can achieve the same amount of variety in TSW? (preferably within the forseeable future). Sadly this is not a case where we can just do what TS did, giving the editor to everyone, as DTG has already stated that licensing makes that near impossible for TSW. Besides that, I also wouldn't like player-made routes to have the same amound of dependencies as in TS. All in all I think it might genuinely be impossible to achieve TS quantity with TSW quality, unless the development process (by hiring more employees, autogen tools, etc.) gets quicker and more effecient. Perhaps some additional 3rd party studios (already known for TS) will cooperate with DTG on TSW content in the future. Also some simple things like more liveries for existing locos could help increasing variety a little.

All in all I really hope the variety of content will increase soon as it is TSW's largest shortcoming in my opinion. After all, I do think all the suggestions I made so far would all be fun additions to TSW that would sell well (except Köln-Wuppertal and Riesa-Leipzig, which rely on route mergers to be interesting in my opinion). Of course I'm a bit biased because I made a lot of suggestions which I'd like to see, but I really think no player would have an issue with the variety of content available getting larger, and that many also see the lack of variety as one of TSW's largest shortcomings.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Given that DTG didn't make the original TS build and the editor was out there already I don't think TSW will ever reach the complexity and avaibility of stock, routes, repaints etc that TS has. TS is as long lived as it is purely because the third parties can get in there, make their own stuff, amend and update old stuff and get this out to the community via their own channels.
    This has been restricted by DTG for TSW because of licensing, but also because they haven't made a method of doing this on consoles, and they made it very clear a long while ago that the TSW experience should be as equal as possible on all three platforms, only bound by limitations such as hardware capacity (ie PS4 being a potato, Raildriver being PC only etc)

Unless 3rd parties such as DPS, AP, ATS etc get onboard with the TSW development I doubt we will get much more in the form of DLC than we do now, a dozen or so per year

• Like Like x 4
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This is all speculation so it might be wrong.

As far as I can tell TSW content is harder to develop, it requires more time and effort, this will will significantly hamper variety in the short term for two reason:

1. I imagine that for a comparable route, the break even point is higher for a TSW DLC, this means it has to sell well, many non-mainstream themes and eras can be excluded.
    2. To develop a DLC takes more time, so there is the incentive to cut as much corners as possible, reusing as much as possible to make every DLC as efficiently as possible.
    As long as we don't get third parties more involved we won't have a lot of variety, with DTG centering around some "themes" and sticking to them, they've said time and time again, to consider a new nation, it has to have potential for at least 3 profitable DLCs. And "The Past of X country" is a new country.

German old content. They explained the problem, most of the german player base is more into simulators in general instead of being "train fans" and are mostly young people, and people generally like things from their childhood, so it makes sense that market research points to make modern german.

Instead many of the british player base, seems like market research has shown that many of those players are slightly older and are more train fans, which explains the list of all the Class 52 names given in DLoGW which resembles the trainspotting activity in the '70s.

As I said, until getting routes for TSW becomes more efficient and streamlined, or access to the devkit is given to third parties which are not as concerned with profits, having much more variety than what we have is going to be difficult.

There is still a lot of trains and routes missing which could be added before a general lack of variety becomes a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  4. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I look at TS routes and see the length and the variety of rolling stock they include and I wish one day TSW2 could be like that as there are very few routes with more than one operator represented on them and as a result what in real life is a busy station is shown as being like a small village station in terms of the regularity of services.
    Hopefully more 3rd party developers will start creating content for TSW but even then I believe there won't be as much variety and choice as there is in TS.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Will Tsw Ever Have As Much Content Variety As Ts2021?

I think it will. Eventually. It took Train Simulator a decade, if not more, to get to the point it currently is. TSW is pretty new, but the number of people playing it is already somewhere between half and a third compared to Train Simulator, according to https://steamdb.info/app/24010/graphs/ and https://steamdb.info/app/1282590/graphs/ , which leaves out any console players.

I think Train Simulator has had its best time. There's probably quite a few people who've built up a huge collection of virtual trains which may be hesitant to make the switch to TSW, and there's probably a certain audience which like things like steam locomotives, and may not jump into TSW before TSW has any steam.

I think that soon enough, TSW becomes a bigger market than TS, and thus makes it more financially attractive for businesses (third parties) to create content for it. I also think that TS playerbase will slowly shrink, meaning that developers for TS content will slowly see their income fade away. That's all pretty slow, obviously. I do hope more third parties will slowly make the transition to TSW, and third parties have always been the main source of variety in content.

And, but this may be wishfull thinking, I do hope less people will be inclined to buy the same old content (same country, same era), which *hopefully* motivates DTG and third parties to venture out to new eras and countries.

I only started playing TS back in 2016. I know little of its history and its early days. TSW released in 2017, so it's currently 4 years old. How much content did Train Simulator have, when it was only 4 years old?

So I think TSW will someday get more variety, and more content in general, compared to TS, but it may take another decade to get to that point.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

^ This. The main reason for TS‘s content variety is the sheer number of studios producing content for it (+ the shorter development time compared to TSW). We already see more 3rd parties now than before (with Rivet, Skyhook and TSG producing original content now). What TSW needs to reach is the breaking point at which developing for TSW is more lucrative for a studio than TS. Even then, however, I doubt TSW will ever quite reach the same variety because of the more difficult development process. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 3
  7. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

What I see is the debt DTG owns to the investors, if they open editor, chunks of profit will be taken away by 3rd party devs and DTG will be left with less funds.
    Meanwhile SimRail also have promised SDK like DTG promised before christmas
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. More 3rd party content = more people playing the game = more people spending money. Plenty of very succesful games have editors and modding tools available to the public.
    The reason there's no public editor is pretty obvious; licensing.

SimRail promises a lot. The more they promise, the more doubts I have they can live up to the expectations some people have.

• Like Like x 7
  9. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

No, first of all: The reason is licensing, why there is no public editor. Nothing else.
    And second: There ARE 3rd party devs who have the editor. You and I will never have access to that. But if there is a studio who wants to develop for TSW, they can.
    And every time someone would want to buy a loco DLC by a 3rd party dev, they still have to buy the base game. And also the route, if the the 3rd party only developed a loco but no route (See MSB and BR 204 by Rivet - in order to play the 204 you first have to buy MSB).

I really wish more 3rd partys start to develop for TSW. But it's not easy. And it has to be feasible. With DGT's price policy it probably just isn't that much feasible. I for example would be more than happy to pay at least twice as much for the upcoming TSG addons, but they'll probably cost as much as every loco DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

TS classic will, for as long as it is supported and has customers, have the edge with variety, because it's already got such an extensive back catalogue, is easier to build routes for, and because it's old and creaky the expectations for those routes are far lower, so nobody needs licensed content on purchase because they can just mod it in later.

If TS classic loses support, or all its players, and TSW continues, then probably TSW would eventually get there, in many many years time, but let's see what the future holds. I absolutely do not want TSW to turn into the living fossil that is Train Simulator 2021, and yet it seems relatively unsustainable to expect that every year that passes 10 or so new DLCs come along, and then DTG have to update them, as well as all the old ones, to a new Unreal Engine version. I have my theories as to whether another paid-for update and subsequently unsupported DLC happens, but only DTG know.

We'll have to see where things go regarding third parties, there are possibilities for sure. The complexity of TSW means it will take much longer for third parties to warm up and find a decent rate of throughput, but to be honest TSW2 isn't even a year old and Rivet are already planning their third route in the game, that's not bad going. It's mostly just a case of more third parties getting involved or taking the plunge and investing the time and money to develop for TSW, on that only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

Do not only count 3rd party devs who are connected with DTG.
    There are plenty out there who do not have connections with DTG and making good business from the game addons.
    e.g Digital Traction, Caledonia Works, Bharat Stream, AKTrains, VictoryWorks etc.
    What about Bus Simulator?
    It have an editor, game is based on UE na?
    Where does licensing go now?

"With DGT's price policy it probably just isn't that much feasible"

• Like Like x 2
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Because the TSW editor DTG use is basically the Unreal Engine editor with some custom plugins (this is the editor they always intended to release), so a releasable editor would require one to be built from the ground up, and could possibly break a whole bunch of stuff. The licensing issue isn't with train companies, it's with Epic Games, and they're not happy it seems about DTG releasing what is still Epic's software and IP.

They're also apparently concerned about people releasing stuff with logos DTG have no license for (prime example being BNSF), going so far as to describe TS1's editor and openness as "a mistake", but then again we've got that with the livery editor so...

• Like Like x 1
  13. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

If I were given £1 every time SimRail was brought up in a conversation, I could buy myself a few TSW2 DLC packs!

I doubt TS Classic will die anytime soon if ever, the third party community will see to that. I came into TS less than a year ago and am slowly building up my collection via sales. Even bought myself some Armstrong Powerhouse stuff before finding out you need a plethora of other third party stuff to make the scenarios work! It's quite overwhelming for a new player to dive into and can be off putting when it comes to third party - despite this rather crafty practice, one can't deny the quality of this content. The AP Class 37's are a thing of beauty! :love: I imagine DTG may stop making content for it maybe in the far off future but the third party scene will keep it alive.

I started my virtual train driving career just over a year ago and it was with TSW2020, I think HRR was just coming out at the time. I've enjoyed watching the game evolve, going into TSW2 and driving the ICE for the first time at 250km/h was fantastic! We've had the first routes not part of the TSW Big 3 (UK,GER,USA) in LGV and Arosa, dynamic PIS systems, working level crossings, passenger improvements are coming in Rush Hour and if you listen close enough you can hear the chuffing and whistles of steam locomotives in the far distance ;) TSW may be coming along slowly for some people but I'm fine with how it's developing, there's a lot of gameplay in the content we have that by the time someone finishes it all 100%, there would be another 10 new routes waiting for you, possibly with layers for the routes you completed!

Thinking about it like that, TSW possibly has more content in a gameplay sense as once you finish the scenarios on TS, there's only quick drive and custom content whereas TSW has service mode in it's favour. If we're counting individual DLC content then TS outweighs TSW.

TSW is a more technical game than TS to develop for so while it may take longer to create content, I'm sure it'll eventually catch up to TS. DTG are still finding ways to streamline development.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Taking into account DTG's DLC releases for TS, it almost has. I doubt there are many more than 15 people working on TS, and it's probably less than that. The end of TS is far, far closer than many people expect (or, for some, want).
    I'm actually surprised at the amount of copies sold; at most 2 million. That's huge, but then again the game's been on sale since 2009...
    Not strictly true. The new NEC route was actually mostly made by one person who was given access to the editor to play around with it. But is it likely we'll be able to use it? No.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Well, thats an easy question:
    TSW will never have as many DLC at the same time as TS, because new TS Content is still developed and always will be, at least from third partys or single persons. In 10 Years from now, I think TSW will have nearly as much variety as TS today, but it'll never overtake it (sadly).
    Things take time, and they need to build up a steady collection before addressing more niche Content like different countrys apart from the ,,big three".

• Like Like x 1
  16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

In terms of number of dlc's. I don't think tsw will overtake ts. Tsw has been out for almost 5 years and in those years, only 26 routes have been made. TSW 2 has 25 routes in total because nec wasn't ported to tsw2. TSW2 so far has 8 british routes, 5 U.S routes, (most of the American routes are freight. There are only 2 U.S passenger routes) 1 Canadian route, (which is freight) 8 German routes, one French Route, One swiss route and one Scottish route. Rush hour will increase the route count to 28 when that comes out this summer. Train Simulator 5 years after release had way more dlc's than tsw along with longer routes. Heck tsw has been out for almost half a decade and we still don't have a 100+ mile route let alone a 75 mile route. Not to mention ts has many third party routes as well because ts has a public editor compared to tsw2. Tsw doesn't have a public editor because tsw2 uses the ue4 editor with some tweaks done by dtg and if they were to release it it could cause a licensing issue with Epic Games since epic games made the ue4 editor, not dtg. They probably wouldn't be happy if dtg publicly just released Epic Games software and IP.

TSW is more complex to develop and dtg seems to release things based on themes they think the community will like. Also dtg seems to like to make routes in the U.S, England and Germany even though people would like to see more countries and variety. It's easier and probably much cheaper to stick to making U.S, U.K and German routes since they could just reuse the same assets and don't have to make new assets. A reason why we don't have historic german routes is due to the simple fact that most German Players tend to perfer modern German routes instead of older German routes and they are more into simulators in general and not all train fans. (I have a bias towards modern German routes as well I'll admit nor am I a hardcore train fan lol. I'm just an American who likes simulators) British players on the other hand seem to be a tad bit older hence why you can usually find a historic British route and older British content. There is a bit of a balance in British content hence why there is some variety with British Content.

I do think tsw2 will have similar variety to ts2021, but not anytime soon nor will it overtake it. TS2021 still has a cult following and with all of the community support along with dtg making dlc's for ts2021 despite having worse graphics, that's a game that won't die anytime soon. DTG seems to be focused on U.S U.K and German routes which isn't bad considering there is still much to be explored in the U.S, England and Germany. I too would love to see new countries outside the "big three" come to tsw2. China and Japan would something I would like for example, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. With dtg seeming to release things based on a theme like the high speed theme during the fall and winter of tsw2 with HMA, LGV and SEHS for example and them still sticking to making U.S U.K and German routes, unless more third parties get involved with tsw2 or more improvements to autogen will come along with a more streamlined development, we won't see alot of variety of routes for a while imo

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I don't think so, with how publicly available the route editor is on TS1/TS Classic/TS2021, and with how much 3rd Party devs have given to TS over the years, I dont think TSW will ever compete with its variety.

I mean just look at what 3rd Partys have given TS so far....

RSSLO has Austrian content.
    Newcomers NTZS gave us a New Zealand Route.
    Johansteam gave us South African content.
    3 different Developers gave us Chinese content.
    And Union Workshop gave us Japanese content.

And that's not even counting the 3rd Party stuff you cant find officially on Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I must admit I’ve put a lot into tsw 2 but bought ts2021 as I wanted longer routes, good scenarios and a better map. Kind of ironic I have to visually downgrade to get this. From DTG point though it’s matters very little as they have two dlc income streams from me now

• Like Like x 1
  19. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Ironically, DTG’s TSW route currently does not have a direct mileage of more than 100 miles, and there is no solution to the expected route extension.
    From this perspective, DTG has no way to expand or integrate routing, or just want to stick to the 40-mile mileage.
    Obviously, DTG must now brainstorm to solve the problems of short routes and long production cycles.
    Currently, I am happy to rely on the summer update to purchase three routes at the usual price.

20. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Route mergers are possible. It was done by a modder who combined rro and rsn. Maps can also indeed be expanded in the unreal engine to make an already existing map larger therefore route extensions are possible. The technical hurdle it seems is signaling, how can you have them connected when you own both routes, and potentially having to create new timetables that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Sales would probably factor in as well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  21. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Matt actually went into this in a roadmap stream. Signalling isn't the issue. The issue is letting the game know on the client side that routes should be merged because someone owns both routes, or nog merged because someone doesn't own both routes. I made a discussion thread about this just after the stream in which he discussed mergers, do check it out!

Also, I made a suggestion for how money can be made with route mergers: by selling them in a pack with a loco add-on, which might also help with the issue mentioned above. In that suggestion I've also outlined a few possibilities for which routes currently in game could be merged, and where an additional route inbetween existing routes is needed to merge them.

All in all mergers don't seem that impossible at all. Matt said it was possible, just not actively pursued at this moment. So it seems that if we make the demand for it clear, and give them a way to make money with it (like in my suggestion :)) route mergers might actually be a thing one day! I really hope we'll see them, definetely when you couple very different routes together, as you can have entirely different gameplay at one end compared to the other end.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  22. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

This will never happen unless we get a Public Editor, and if my numerous sources are correct, that will not happen. However, if it is Epic Games Licensing that prevents the editor from being public, then why did they promise it. What they may find easier is creating an Add-on for UE4 that installs all the mods. In fact, I think this is what they wanted to do from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Because back in the day DTG (or more precisely Matt) made promises because they said what they wanted to do as if it was going to happen.

This is what Sam has brought to DTG's output. Clarity. Rather than saying "Hey look what we can/might/may do" they stick to what they ARE doing

• Like Like x 2
  24. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

It is an interesting question, I expect the answer would likely be no jolojonasgames for a couple of reasons
    • TS in one form or another has been around since 2001 and a lot of the content developed over the time since then is still available and still works - especially after it became Railworks.
    • While much of the content is is commercial, the community generates so much of it and given there is no editor available for TSW2 for the community is able to modify existing content (visit https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/ for mods) but not create new content
    If DTG were to release an editor or the guy trying to build his own succeeds then this might change, but there is still 20 odd years of time to catch up on. Many TS providers might be interested in porting their content perhaps...

That said, you never know what the future might bring.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  25. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

TS, the one formerly known as RailWorks (and Rail Simulator before that) came out in 2007 and published by EA, though technically the first RailWorks (published by RSC/DTG) release was in 2009. MSTS (released in 2001) is on a completely different engine and so content developed for it is completely irrelevant to TS players.

Still, that is a decade in favour of TS content. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  26. paul.pavlinovich

Its an interesting question about TS and Railworks that I've never seen formally resolved anywhere Callum. Railworks does have the Kuju engine in a highly modified form from what I understand of it and still mentions Kuju in its credits. Not that it overly matters one way or another - its really just a thing of interest form the past. Either way, yes most of the community contributions came from the most recent decade.

Fortunately TS has not shed content over the years, the N3V franchise "Trainz" which started out as Auran Trainz Railroad Simulator in 2004 had a horrible habit of killing 3rd party content. While a lot of it still works, some of it explodes and some of it has simply vanished over the years as its developers gave up trying to keep up with the changes. Even payware fell by the wayside. It makes me happy that DTG have resisted the urge to break everything in TS.

Paul

27. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of this but it would not surprise me!

This is because Kuju also developed Rail Simulator for EA, with a handful of people moving on to form RailSimulator.Com Ltd. which eventually grew into Dovetail Games. So both MSTS and Rail Simulator are Kuju games, but they are distinctly separated since content is not cross-compatible.

Yes, absolutely. I tried to get into Trainz years ago and, apart from a lack of immersive physics, I was painfully disappointed by the DLS and how difficult it was to find working 3rd-party content. A centralised hub of user-generated content is very cool in theory, but in practice it was very frustrating to use! On the other hand, even legacy Rail Simulator addons should still work perfectly with TS2021, if such addons are even available online anymore. It is definitely impressive, even if it means that the game will likely never see any major updates from here on.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  28. paul.pavlinovich

Longevity of content is probably the best reason to get into TS Callum B. That and I agree, as physics go while its not perfect its up there with the top of the simulators that are available. I think of everything its got the very best representation of water and the fact that I can develop and publish my own scenarios makes me happy. Have a good one mate and enjoy simulating.

Paul

• Like Like x 1