Tsw 2 Survey Discussion

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimfan94, Aug 3, 2021.

1. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

For those who responded...
    Me i want more modern routes.
    I can enjoy historic routes but they have to be enjoyable.

Sound, graphics and lightning are a priority.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I wonder who will read the German and French contributions ... At least all people we see in the streams have some difficulty with the German language ....

• Like Like x 1
  3. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

They missed out Xbox One X as a platform.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I voted for historic routes. The poll lacked an option to vote for a variety of railroad eras. "I don't care" didn't feel like a right answer, and there's already quite a few modern routes available.

I also voted for longer express passenger services, but I hope they won't mistake that for high speed routes with no stops in between :P

Interestingly, there was an option to vote for something that hinted to a route editor. Got that one on top. Also graphics&sound improvements, and steam locomotives of course.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sound & graphics were my priorities.

I could lose the livery editor and scenario editor and still be happy with the game. I’d rather a real focus be made on getting routes sounding, looking and feeling right. Immersion is paramount for me. I’d also like routes to be longer and more inclusive where appropriate.

• Like Like x 6
  6. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I voted for historic routes over modern.

Graphics and sounds were high up on my priorities alongside new gameplay options. Another thing I ranked high was cross platform saving, as someone who plays across two platforms, this was a big YES! :)

I put scenario planner higher than livery designer as there's some really good gameplay opportunities with it if DTG gives it some much needed attention. Route maker was almost bottom alongside VR support, it's not something I personally would bother with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

On the Eras, I voted modern, simply my preference, I like NTP but I doubt I would really buy that many future BR routes. (I only really take an interest in UK Content).

Some of the options were interesting to see, the previously mentioned Cross-Platform saving, it would make me at least consider buying the Steam version if content/saves transferred between it & the Xbox version, which I play on.

I was slightly surprised to see the Passenger stuff being included there, despite it being in production, it's not as if we are saying "this should be a priority in future development" when it's likely to be out sooner rather than later.

It's also somewhat good to see the Editor get a reference. Whilst obviously not a promise or such, it does imply they are at least keeping it on the list, even if at the bottom.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I voted for more historic routes. Having grown up as steam locomotives were being scrapped, the UK's railways have steadily become less and less interesting to me over the years. And I have no desire to sit down and recreate the present day. As for desired route, I asked for the Woodhead route from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield. Something very different from what we've had so far.

• Like Like x 6
  9. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I think surveys are done mainly under 2 circumstances:
    1. To see what the population thinks/prefers
    2. To gather feedback after a particular event

DTG is not a developer focused on feedback from its clients but this happens in many companies regardless of the field of activity.
    They are set already on a series of new releases based on their own internal assessment (it usually has the cost factor at the top followed by time to develop). As such, feedback is used to see how far away they are from the expectations and how to steer the ship to remain somehow tangential to clients.

We know that sounds are a big issue overall, then the accuracy of rolling stock and some graphical and simulation-related elements (such as weather, skybox, and rendering at distance). They don't need a survey anymore for these yet here you are filling in forms every once in a while.

I don't bother with them to be honest, we know the type of "beat" we are dealing with so it makes it worthless.
    Don't harm yourselves by setting expectations following these surveys.

• Like Like x 5
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

What survey?

• Like Like x 1
  11. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

12. solicitr

13. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Not seen this elsewhere other than on this thread, no mention of it tonight in the quiz, quite surprised.

Some odd questions, am a bit worried about the subscription idea and the continuation of offering multiple routes bundled up. It is clear people are all different so why not just offer coupons for any 3 routes for £/$/€ x amount and allow people a choice if they commit to multiple purchases. Some people go on geography, others on reviews and it is clear that some routes are awful while others are hidden gems even in the same country setting. Equally others never buy country Z material as they don't like it. RH is a nice proposition but going forward I wouldn't like to see every bundle mandating 1 German, 1 American and 1 British route.

Am going to write up a suggestion of "hubs" which I started in the last free-form box as it got me thinking...

• Like Like x 8
  14. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

twitter and facebook

15. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I was also surprised to see no questions regarding DTG live streams this time around given that the presenters have all come on board fairly recently’ish.

I also didn’t like the subscription idea at all although I assume if that was introduced then the current just purchase what you like would also still apply.

• Like Like x 2
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Some questions are phrased a bit oddly. One asked what I would change to allow me to recommend TSW2 to my friends. After answering a separate question earlier saying I would definitely already recommend it to a friend 10/10 I was at a loss to answer that. If it had just asked what I would change for me, I could have written an essay. I was expecting an ‘Any other comments’ question for that but there wasn’t one or I missed it because that was it. I don’t have any friends who like trains anyway!

As I have been in the position of reviewing questions for questionnaires in the past, I know that some questions can contradict others or seem to the person filling it in to have already been answered earlier or miss out seemingly obvious answer options because the objectives of different sections of the questionnaire/survey can be for slightly different purposes.

It’s always good to be able to put the options of possible improvements in an order of preference though. It’ll give DTG a good snapshot of how the current wishes of players match their own views of what’s possible and that’s never going to match any individual’s needs exactly but should be good for the game.

I remember the last survey was promoted everywhere except the forum so that’s not surprising. I just happened upon it on the Dovetail Live news page.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TinTin_57

There is a notification about it in game I noticed also earlier

18. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

I love DTG,

and what do you think why DTG handles it that way? The end for the MP or is it already being planned?
    DTG like this: "Nobody wants a multiplayer."
    User: "How do you come up with it?"
    DTG "Nobody chose it in the survey"
    User: "Was it possible to specify?"
    DTG: "No, of course not."
    Bazinga.

• Like Like x 3
  19. solicitr

As the article says, and not wrongly, the forums, the Discord, and the stream chat all cover different, and relatively small, segments of the userbase. Surveys pick up another, and a potentially larger one.

20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Judging by the entire contents of the survey it looks like multiplayer is coming and therefore it didn’t need to be included as a clickable desire. I expect to see it appear on the roadmap soon. Conspicuous by its absence.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No we know nothing. The forums here are only a small portion of the playerbase, probably the most active portion and the one with most critics on board. Lets say we are a vocal minority.

A survey held under a larger portion of the player base could unveil whatever the masses think is important. Who knows they're not all that bothered with sound because they may not know the ins and outs of how every single type of locomotive is supposed to sound. Lets say they might as well be the silent majority.

• Like Like x 7
  22. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

thanks for the hope <(") If we speculate, I would prefer to wait for the roles that have been addressed and then the MP straight away. Because I really believe that it would be good for TSW2 to have more than just drive.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Yes, we do know about these issues, DTG knows about them too. I have not said that we know what other people think but that we know that these are existing issues that the preservation crew touches upon every once in a while. So they know, we know.
    Remember that they produce some of the sounds using material they have at hand and try to get close to the real thing but most of the time this is not achieved. They don't have recordings for everything and even if they would have it's how you mix them as well.

Masses have never driven evolution and never will. It's always on the shoulders of smaller "nerd" groups that push things further or go rogue and start their own thing if they have the knowledge and the frustration is that high.

It's all about choosing whom to listen to. To whom it's easier to listen. Who has the closest opinion and feedback about the game as their own.

24. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

That's strange because I see it in question 4 under which platform do you play?

25. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

On the English survey I see Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox Series S/X as options for Xbox. No Xbox One X but went with Xbox One.

26. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Dont like the ideia of subscription at all... lighting sounds and graphics for me are number 1...

• Like Like x 1
  27. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

Until what a subscription involves are made public I remain deeply unconvinced. It would have to be a compelling argument to justify a monthly outgoing.

Season pass / ticket on the other hand sounds like a good idea. I have both of them for Wreckfest and 1 for Civilisation VI.

• Like Like x 2
  28. trainsimplayer

I agree with Easilyconfused a subscription would really need setting out before I'd be convinced. However season passes are often good, the Civ 6 one being one I have used before, really good way to expand your content library on the game.

29. TinTin_57

30. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

31. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Felt like they were setting themselves up for some rough answers with the subscription price point question. Given what you get with the price of Xbox pass, hard to argue that TSW2 should be even similar.

Disagree strongly that season pass is a good idea - paying up front for products that aren't out yet isn't my idea of a good time, particularly given what happened with the recent summer pack.

• Like Like x 4
  32. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat surprised it's taken until now for them to do one.

33. solicitr

Buying a DTG release sight unseen is poor policy.

• Like Like x 8
  34. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Same for me :) Trains need to look and sound nice.
    PS I like the potential subscribe concept.

35. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Why is this survey hard to find? Where is it please?

36. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. chieflongshin

38. chieflongshin

DTG Natster will there be transparency on the results at all so we can see some nice pie charts of what was voted for?

thank you

• Like Like x 4
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a season pass, but I'm not clear on how it would work in practice. Because I'm in the habit of buying all dlc when they're released, the only viable method for me would be to buy a season pass at the beginning of the year, covering 12 months of dlc. It could be a calendar year or a "season" from August each year. Or it could cover a specific number of releases out of the total for the year (my choice). But then I would have to know what was coming in advance, like a baseball schedule, which seems unlikely. It would certainly be a way if saving money for me, while guaranteeing revenue for DTG.
    I have no interest in a subscription because it means losing control of my assets. Any one of them could be withdrawn without warning, I think, or you could forget or become unable to pay your monthly "dues" and lose it all.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  40. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It is like an optional periodic bundle. Like upcoming Rush Hour. SnowRunner is a good example.
    ** You buy everything, at a discount, paying in advance. **

EDIT Subscription has advantages too. When starting your adventure with TSW, you could try all the DLCs for a relatively small amount. Possible platform change / purchase of console / PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Crosstie

Highly unlikely, I would think, at least in any detail. It might predispose DTG into doing things they're not ready or able to do. There really is no direct correlation between survey results and future policy. Anyway, I think we already know what the community wants or doesn't want in a general sense, don't we? I mean, for example, did anyone vote against better graphics, lighting and sounds?

• Like Like x 1
  42. chieflongshin

My concern with a season pass with this game is I'd want transparency a season in advance as to what I was buying. My other concern is the recent releases and how they've been. If everything was spot on all the time and the routes had better scenarios etc I'd consider it. It's just not viable how it is now.

Don't forget to vote up VR too ;)

I personally think a better way of route creation and releases would be to put it out to the community. Surely if they said in September your choices for the routes to be released in January are Route 1 , 2, 3 etc then the community could vote and we'd get more of what we liked.

Even if that was a wildcard route twice a year , it's community chosen and they'd have an idea of what would sell.

Also

istockphoto-496792842-612x612.jpg

Please can we put how long it completes a scenario or timetable next to it please. It's done on older but not new routes, I don't want to blindly go into a 2hour ride when I have 30 mins spare. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  43. breblimator

breblimator Guest

A Season Pass / Subscription would help stabilize Dovetail's budget and improve the quality of premieres - time pressure would become secondary. This is, of course, speculation. I assume that would be an optional purchase method :)
    PS I would also like to see the results of such a study.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Crosstie

Well, I think there's a world of difference between a season pass and a subscription. Rather like owning or leasing a car, or apartment. Each has advantages and downsides.

• Like Like x 2
  45. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

How would a season Pass cater for those people that only buy routes from a certain region?

• Like Like x 1
  46. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

upload_2021-8-4_19-30-16.png
    :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. trainsimplayer

They could theoretically do a "Regional" season pass every now and again.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this the other day, about how much it would make sense for DTG to offer a subscription model for its DLC catalogue, and how much I absolutely fear and detest to go down such a path. Subscription models are money pits. I understand that a subscription would be an "option" to existing players alongside purchasing permanent licences as normal, but what often happens is the subscription customers become priority and receive extra perks or benefits not available to traditional customers. I am very wary of the paths that TSW could go down.

EDIT: Did I miss something, or was there really not a single mention of multiplayer in the survey?

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  49. solicitr

There was one, but not by that name. Instead there was a question about whether we would like to be able to play as a guard, conductor, brakeman etc.

50. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I, too, thought that at first but on second thought such modes are not explicitly multiplayer. I don't much care about playing brakeman for an AI but I certainly would love to coordinate yard movements with another human player.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2