Upcoming Release Master The Electrics!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Nov 29, 2022.

1. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

But then again for cross city, there aren't any trains in tsw that would run there and make the route feel busy. And you need the right train and livery. Whenever you start a new route in a new region of the uk in a big station, it's not going to be busy at first cuz of the lack of trains, especially if you need new rolling stock.

2. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Only there is no way of telling how long "at first" is. Could remain deathly quiet for getting on for 1½ years like Glasgow Central on Cathcart.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I'm on the opposite front here. Especially community feedback gets wild around releases. And I'd rather have them focus on fixing bugs rather than change the PIS font to calm the raging 5+ page thread saying it's a gamebreaker that stops them from buying it.

But despite that, aren't routes leaked weeks before announcement anyway ... ?

• Like Like x 7
  4. Kangaroo we dont like leakers so if your one of them go away please thank you

5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

You’re using the term ‘we’ pretty collectively there.

• Like Like x 11
  6. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

So you don't like JD? ;)

• Like Like x 7
  7. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

that’s right, but if you look on the internet in general it often has been the case :)

8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is amazing how many unelected forum spokespersons there are!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  9. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I am not, and besides that, it is neither my not your concern how to deal with that topic. The only thing we can do is make suggestions, and here is mine.

DTG could follow the example of the Hitman Forum, who created a secret board with threads about leaks and the devs politely asked the community to not let it spill over into the usual forum parts. You access it by asking one of the mods for a "tag" that allows entrance. Normal users and people browsing for advise don't even see it. And it works greatly. That way, the devs can have a condensed overview on what's leaked and it's not public knowledge the second it's been posted.

DTG JD

Not sure if possible or even needed here, only a suggestion.

• Like Like x 5
  10. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

I found an interesting video on youtube. Could this be the museum railway tour that was posted in the article?

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's a constant problem on the forums. Posters voicing their own opinions, yet claiming to speak for everyone, using words like " we " and " all ".

We don't all experience the same bugs or problems, unless it's a platform-wide issue like 64GB. Even the red light concerns on BML and Harlem are not universally experienced.

How about trying " I " or, perhaps, " some of us. "

• Like Like x 9
  12. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I mean part of that is due to the real life nature of rail in those countries. DTG doesn’t create new trains just to populate AI layers, they only take from the catalog of what they already have in prior DLC.

Germany has nationalized rail and a unified network. The same red DB locos appear all over the country so in TSW it is easy to layer and sub them on multiple routes with no requirement to change the models.

Britain decided to privatize their network so there are dozens of operators with different liveries and branding. So even routes where the correct train exists in the game (ie HST at Birmingham) they can’t just layer the current HST because the livery and interiors are all wrong, they have to build a Crosscountry one nearly from the ground up which is a lot more work than the German routes need.

Maybe when the Great British Railways brand takes over things will be easier for DTG but that’s still years away.

13. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

Still it would be wrong to see the 110 for example in front of any IC on HRR.
    The 110 was never regularly used in front of long-distance IC trains and the few Fernverkehr 115 (renumbered 110.3) were only used on a few trains, mainly the IC between Stuttgart and Zürich as they don't run on any high speed line. Those were Swiss carriages though.
    Otherwise the 115 were used for Fernverkehr ECS (not EuroCity but Empty Coach Stock, named PbZ in Germany), so many photos with white IC coaches may show these.
    Before the 115 were assigned to DB Nachtzug and pulled motorail trains.

• Like Like x 1
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

DTG Alex, DTG JD I have a question about layers.

1. Article info:
    2. Stream info * no word about HRR, HBK, DRA:

TSW.04.png

The questionable part is this:

Nahverkehr Dresden's BR 185 (with Zacns and Falns wagons)
    DB BR 101 + MRCE BR 182 from Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr and Hamburg-Lübeck.
    DB BR 363 from Nahverkehr Dresden

Are HRR, HBK and DRA layers for this route? If so, could I ask for more precise information?
    saying layers I mean additional traffic

THX
    BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
  15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

These were the trains that were available on the route. The ones that came with the pack were the 110, cabcar, 155 press and the 425, the others are all layers. Note ICE1 at the bottom.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

not the substitutions but layers what mean additional services?
    EDIT and what with HRR? The host for the 101?
    thx 4 your answer!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
  17. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

204 and G6 were also noted to be available that substitute the 363, just not installed at time of streaming

• Like Like x 1
  18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Really happy to hear despite initial reports of no improvements to the 155, that it has been reworked with working PZB /LZB and working brake modes added.

• Like Like x 8
  19. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

The BR 110 on stream sounds amazing, exterior sounds are spot on and sounds like the real thing. Good work TSG :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This is fantastuc news!

• Like Like x 1
  21. rennekton#1349

Yes. Layers and substitutions. The freight locos just sub in. 101 adds services in (unique ones too such as it hauling freight). Skw for ice1 adds a good amount of services. There's also the 612 from dcz. 363 adds museum runs. There's also a lot of ai only services

• Like Like x 1
  22. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The BR110-3 is going to be interesting to operate with a rail driver. The tap wheel, I figure, will be put on the rocker switch and not the throttle. Be interesting to see once I get it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Nice improvements, but once again... this should now be implemented in the previous version. All versions should be up to date. We now get a new loco (two actually with 425) that behaves in two different ways based on which one you select... This mess is only getting bigger, DTG...

• Like Like x 7
  24. animatiker

animatiker Active Member

Just one correction and I hope it will be changed:
    Since the cab car still has it's luggage doors behind the cab, it's technically not a Bnrdzf 463, but a BDnrzf 463. Bnrdzf were the cab cars which had their luggage doors removed and a window in their place, the luggage compartment was rebuilt into a multi-purpose compartment with folding seats and bike racks/straps. In fact the unrebuilt BDnrzf were quite rare at the end, almost all were rebuilt into Bnrdzf.
    I'm quite surprised a cab car with luggage doors was chosen as well as why a 110 with MFA and LZB was chosen - most BR 110 didn't have a MFA until the end.
    But still - finally a 110 and n-Wagen for TSW!

Edit:
    OK, I watched parts of the stream now and I'm quite disappointed. The ampere meter is totally off on the 110 and doesn't work at all like in reality. The BR 110 had a maximum ampere of 400, later 350, and going over the maximum ampere would lead to an overload and cutting the engine out. Matt overloaded at around 70-80 ampere. (why should the ampere meter have a scale up to 500 when it rarely goes above 100?)
    Matt explained you should look at the newton meter when accelerating, but you would only do this when running up from a standstill (as giving 350 or 400 A from a standstill would cause wheelslip in most conditions) - later you have to look at the ampere meter because especially at higher speeds you would easily reach 350 A before reaching 60 kN.
    Later in the video the ampere meter reached around 130 without cutting out the engine, so I am not sure on what condition the engine is cutting out, but it's not "physics" like often said about TSW...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

There are two conditions where the MCB pops out. First, the transformer input sides current draw from the wire (Oberstrom). That cannot (should not) reach 420A at a standstill. The max current of 420A can only be drawn at around 80kph and above when the motors getting the max voltage of about 520V. That's also why the possible max TE starts dropping at that speed (roughly 280kN max.). The second condition is motor current (Motorstrom). That can reach quite fast a point where the motors can burn out (somewhere between 3000-3700A) and therefor the loco cuts them out when that happens. Since this loco uses a high voltage tap changer with an attached low voltage transformer (W29t Hochspannungschaltwerk mit Tyhristorlastschaltern) and uses no active filed weakening (Feldschwächung), you can easily overpower the motors at a standstill after a few seconds, even with only a few amps from the wire.

Maybe i'm completely wrong, but i read a lot about that stuff before i did that loco.

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  26. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

So I’m guessing without weakening the field the 110s are not as good at achieving higher speeds? With DC traction-motored units that I’ve worked on, weakening the field helps gain that extra speed due to it reducing the back emf allowing more current to flow. Without reducing that back EMF, the traction motors will eventually just hit a wall with a lower running speed no? Or is it that by just pumping enough current through the traction motors, then it will just get to a higher speed?

27. Maik Goltz

I'm not an electronic engineer so, i can just tell what i read. Field weakening is mostly used to gain more torque out of ta slow running motor at lower voltages but more umpf (Ampere) and also to stop the infinite acceleration of it at higher rpm to not destroy it. The motors used in the 110 can theoretically spin up to the point where they mechanically break when there is no field weakening. Of course, they will not have much torque then anymore, so, the loco can maybe reach 200kph with it before it gets stuck at that speed. These old locos are highly inefficient i would say. Lot of the current just generates heat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  28. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell what Matt was doing wrong but he kept getting caught out by something that wasn't a safety system per se but cut out the engine as you describe. It seems the 110 might need a bit more of a tutorial about this sort of thing.

29. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I noticed several of his cut outs were caused by either SIFA or Exceeding about 60Kn, didn’t particularly notice any other time.

I’ll have a watch back through of the stream soon and edit this post back if I find one those wasn’t ecountable

first edit:

Noticed a total number of 7 in the first hour of the stream

train stops/cut outs (not station stops) during the stream.
    1. The first was to demonstrate what happens when 65KN ish is breached

2. Right hand doors not closed properly resulting in what appears to be an interlock remaining, once doors were closed brakes released.
    1. Second demonstration of 65KN ish breach
    1. Either accident or intended 65KN ish breach
    1. Quite hard to tell but either breached the Kn Restriction or done something with the brake handle, the thing I think happened was the brake was applied whilst not powered down on the tap changer as Required.
    1. Did not acknowledge PZB at Light as Required
    1. Did not slow down enough in time for 500HZ
    I’ll continue to check the other hour tomorrow of the stream

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  30. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

Is there a reason Germany has locomotives and went to the trouble of putting screen displays in them but never have them working? Noticed it on the stream with the 110 and N-Cab. Or is it just they do work but in the stream noone turned them on? If this is the case how do you turn them on?

31. rennekton#1349

Tsw does not have ebula simulated, so that screen is just empty. And you can't really interact with the screens cuz they also need to be set up as interactable which takes time to implement. Some functions you wouldn't use I'm assuming, but then again I know nothing about german trains other than they exist. You could change the destination, brightness, etc but that's about it.

• Like Like x 1
  32. rennekton#1349

You don't want to go above 65kn cuz it would cause the engine to shut down. So it is all about adding a little bit of power over time to make sure you stay below that. Another issue was that the safety systems were not audible from the outside such as sifa and unless you really are looking, you don't know sifa is going off unless you hear it go off

33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Let's not forget, the 110 is nearly as old as the EMD F7, and older than just about any of the "old" British diesels in the game. This is really antiquated technology from the age of vacuum tubes and cloth wiring insulation. Like a Fender tweed amp.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I thinking that they were inefficient too hahaha. Thanks for clarifying, I’m not used to Tap changing so it’s a new area for me haha. Cheers for that :)

35. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the stream but it seems very similar to the first gen UK AC electrics with the tap changer. You cannot just run up to 100% and let the electronics take care of it. You need to tap up gradually and not go into the red zone, on the UK stuff. If you have WCML North and or Shap on TSC, take a drive or two with the 86 and 87 to refresh how it's done.

Likewise running down from full throttle takes 30 to 40 seconds, which is why you need to think ahead for neutral zones (not a feature in TSW) or braking.

I actually think this could be quite fun. I just need to decide over the weekend if it's £30 worth of fun. By chance, did anyone mention how many runs are in Journey mode?

36. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

No, I specifically asked whilst Matt was showing the timetable but sadly they never answered (not that I expect every question answered). Hopefully we get an answer prior to release here.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Watched the stream last night. Looked pretty good imo. Will be a day 1 purchase. It will probably be the last one as I'm nearing 50 DLC's on my PS4...

Only niggles I had are:
    - PZB on the 110 needs to be fixed ASAP. Dashboard lights did not blink 70/85 when PZB was in restricted monitoring, only the 85 light was blinking. Matt noticed this, but said it wouldn't be fixed before launch :( Hope we won't have to wait months before this is fixed, as this is a pretty big oversight.
    - The 'train-barges' are a nice folly, but as a gen8 user, I can't help wandering: if these were taken out of the route, would that free up enough memory so we could get back some of the content that will currently be cut out of the gen8 version of the route. I would much prefer the ICE to be included iso the barges I will probably never pay any attention to.

• Like Like x 5
  38. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I found this interesting. This bug found its way into the TSW world with the ICE1. Despite highlighting this in various threads there was no word or acknowledgment from DTG. At the time I thought it had something to do with the new MFD layout of the modernised BR401, however, now it seems something more fundamental…

• Like Like x 3
  39. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

OpenMinded Interesting. I hadn't noticed it on the 401 yet. Probably because a lot of time is spent in LZB. I'll have to check on that

40. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  41. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

So I also watched the stream and… I’m flabbergasted! This is lookinh unbelievably good! The only thing I noticed that is a bug is the already noticed PZB-Wechselblinken which is missing. On the other hand:
    There are soooo many small details I like!
    First of all (which is the biggest) the cars are actually driving towards the level crossings and stopping there!
    Secondly, I really like the fact that there are the names on the Br425!
    Third thing: The new collectible map looks great with the additional information on the routes that go off the mainline
    These are only three of them, but there are man more!

The only thing I was wondering about is, that as Matt was driving the Br110.3 the PIS on the cab car showed “Nicht einsteigen” although I thought that since an eternity they displayed the destination automatically?

42. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

It is a hand cranked destination display in the cab car that is not set automatically. I assume that when you start a 110 run, you will have to move into that cab (walk or control +/-) and change the display appropriately.

I was quite impressed by the stream and look forward to some old school driving with the 110 and the cab car.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Field weakening has the exact opposite effect. It is used to gain higher speed due to lower reverse flow current. At low speeds field weakening reduces the torque. In case of the BR 110, I guess the missing field weakening means, that a low resistance motor needs to be used, so that the high speeds can be achieved without it, however for low speeds this means the motor can easily overheat itself and this causes the cut out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. Maik Goltz

Ok, then it is this way. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like Like x 2
  45. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

I'm happy that we got the E10 with the N-wagen but it's really sad, that we didn't get another new train

46. rennekton#1349

Creating new trains take a lot of resources to make from the model, simugraph, setup, new features, passenger carriages etc. It's not a simple task anymore. It's not always possible to make completely new trains each dlc release. And besides building the locomotive and a cab car is basically building 2 locomotives cuz you each side behaves/ is set up differently. And we got 2 reworked trains

• Like Like x 3
  47. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Yes, but hasnt Bremen Oldenburg the Most new stock on a route in a while. One absolutely new loco (No traxx etc) and entirely new coaches with a cab car.

When was the Last time we had a new train set, not just a single new EMU/DMU per route, complete with a cabcar, abeit no 1st class coach. MSB?

• Like Like x 13
  48. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"First class" in an n-Wagen was always kind of a joke anyway. Even modernized, it ain't all that:

[​IMG]

(This is the same rebuild set as the game-modeled 2nd class coaches, one undertaken in the 90s by OFV of Verona, to go with the "Mintlinge" turquoise-green exteriors)

• Like Like x 2
  49. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

First class on regional services is always a joke, i mean even the 422 has a first class section. (Which are the same seats in reverse colors)

But there are two real compartments in the First class section i think, sat there illegaly when they ran replacement trains here, as the guard was only there to explain to people this was really their train instead of checking Tickets.

50. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In Poland mostly it is about 3 vs 4 chairs in a row with is a huge difference in a long trip :)