Train Simulator Classic - The Future

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Dec 21, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

TSC_DevUpdate.jpg

We often get asked about what the future holds for Train Simulator Classic, and it's always something we're thinking about too. We speak to Senior Producer, Steve Dark, about his vision for the simulator's development moving forward.

Read More : Train Simulator Classic - The Future (dovetailgames.com)

• Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

Let me just tell you how this makes me happy to hear. TSC is definitely my favorite train simulation game. Hearing from you that you're not actually just abandoning the game ( as it sounded like so far ) makes me really happy.

Good luck with the improvements and I hope you'll be open to listen for feedback once you roll out some updates. A lot of testing will be needed with all of the content made from 3rd parties.

• Like Like x 11
  3. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Overall, good news!
    Happy to see a lot of pain points addressed, even if carefully worded.

I use 64 bit exclusively but understand there are items out there which are dysfunctional.

While at it, please look into workshop item extraction if that's something that remains. Might be a 32 bit thing but it tends to extract garbage when handling multiple items.

Happy to hear addressing the UI for large collections. A bit worried about what exactly "web based" means.
    Regardless, would be nice to consider a "darker" mode. Less of a concern up front, however driving a night scenario in a dark room both F2 and post-drive are crazy.

One last thing to mention, weather. I'm mostly happy with old skies (which makes me a pariah but it's closer to the real sky than the patterny AP things), however, colors tend to be too dark. I noticed some improvements over the years, good job there. If you have the time, go through a page or two of my screenshots on Steam (link in signature) and consider how they are - and these are the very best, I'm not adding darker ones (such as the SD70M Roseville-Sparks) to the pool anymore.

To close it up, thanks for the news, and wishing you all happy holidays!

• Like Like x 8
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed reading the article it's good to hear that TSC is here to stay.

• Like Like x 9
  5. vitt77

vitt77 New Member

Good news!

• Like Like x 3
  6. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Great news about TS Future! Just an idea. I use Locoswap to swap some absent rolling stock in some advanced scenarios. Unfortunately it can't work with ap-files. It works only with unpacked assets. Can you consider this case in your future updates? I mean, can you make packed assets readable with Locoswap?

• Like Like x 6
  7. railroadamerica

railroadamerica Active Member

my wish list -
    a. pbr workflow
    b. upgradation of lua to 5.4
    c. mutli-core support

let us see what we will be offered in next few months.

• Like Like x 5
  8. toms87

toms87 Well-Known Member

Asset/loft search function in the editor!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Vaffelen

Vaffelen Well-Known Member

This would save so much time for route builders.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

This is terrible news!!!

For all the TSC is a dead game TSW3 is da future naysayers out there...

Well done DTG I do love it when you surprise me, Don't fluff it up!

:)

• Like Like x 8
  11. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

Great news! However, I did want to point out something as well. Is there a chance the Consist Editor will get fixed anytime soon? It has been very buggy lately and constantly crashing when it's almost fully loaded (it seems to be crashing every time it reaches 88%).

• Like Like x 6
  12. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

nice to hear future of train simulator classic. sounds like the DirectX 9 to DirectX 12 translation facility is little ways off maybe year or two. but good your looking in to it and going to DX12 will have benefits maybe when they get it going in game it have feature like DLSS etc...
    i hope Blueprint editor get updated big time in future. there are features that are needed also possibility of adding new features along the way.

core performance on engine hope can get improved. for example when i load searchlight simulator AC4400CW in route editor it take while to place it on track cause it got to load all awesome features and details and while it doing that i feel like game going to crash but it hasn't yet.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Korbin

Korbin Member

It would be pretty cool, but I get it if it is a long shot to add snow and rain/mist particle effects as the train is going by. That is one of the little things that I believe this game is missing. As well as a potential rework of the derail physics, being able to watch it in quick drive without the game over menu popping up instantly

• Like Like x 2
  14. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Great to see Steve Dark as the new Senior Producer. He developed the BR Class 40 in TSW, amongst other things he's got involved with. He also created the BR Class 40 in Trainz Simulator many light years ago, that I still have archived in my Trainz game collection, as it was a superb model in its day, kuid 30992 was his ID I still remember, that'll make him smile if he sees that, he must be a ''Whistler'' fan, just like me.
    Reassuring to learn that we have some dedicated veteran Rail/Train Simmers in the production set up, hope we can get the likes of Ed Fisk and a few others on board with the development of TSClassic and then we'll be really going places.

Who slated me for being an old TS dinosaur and TSW was going to rule? lololololololololololol.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

I really only have one thing thing to say to this announcement: Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

This is really great news for Train Simulator Classic. I am really glad to see that it will be getting a new lease of life and further improvements planned. I do wonder with the improvements being made, would it be recommended to run Train Simulator with mods or would that possibly corrupt the game or files in any way.

I think it would be a good idea to make the editor more user friendly, similar to the tools in the surveyor route creation utility for trainz. It would be great if the editor was more user friendly to allow for beginners to easily transition to.

With possible multicore support and Direct X 12 implementation, I wonder if this will correct how map tiles are loaded or if there are plans to improve the fps

• Like Like x 7
  17. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, my respect DTG - TS is still my favorite game (even though it is already godlessly outdated). The game needs more support, because many people play it and continue to create content)

• Like Like x 5
  18. mikeov1985

mikeov1985 Member

TSC is my favorite train simulation game. I am so glad that it officially has a future. I look forward to the updates. :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

This is the news us TSC users needed to hear.
    Especially being that I just recently purchased a new laptop that actually struggles on there, despite the fact it’s more powerful than the one it’s replacing, which also runs TSC in better fidelity I might add without it crashing. It is a rather odd thing for an older game to do that on hardware than is more than capable of running it.

But this definitely a win for those who are more invested in TSC

• Like Like x 3
  20. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Very good news indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  21. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

This makes me a bit nervous. Cleaning up the code is all well and good, but it has to be done carefully so old content is not broken.

• Like Like x 1
  22. robix61

robix61 New Member

Great news really...

• Like Like x 2
  23. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Quite a number of people expected TS to be discontinued entirely, so it's nice to see that's far from the case. Hopefully any major engine changes will come with the ability to launch a different version if needed to prevent things breaking in the same way the 64-bit upgrade did. Something like the Minecraft launcher would work well, allowing players to have separate installations of TS for different versions if newer ones break things. (It would also be nice but unlikely to have older versions available in this launcher, perhaps going back all the way to RailWorks - while RailWorks 2 is partly preserved, every past version other than that and their features are long gone, such as relay scenarios, the old HUD with the very cool and quite useful minimap and countless other things, but I won't suggest the multiplayer demo they had running :D)
    It'll be down to the developers of Locoswap to do this. AP files are effectively just ZIP files, and TS Tools extracts them as part of its standard operation.
    I think it may have something to do with memory issues. I haven't experimented with it but I theorise the long loading times when it does work is because it's loading every train into memory and therefore causing the game to give an out of memory error. Obviously ~200GB of trains going into 16GB of RAM won't end well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

Its great to hear that DTG decided to give Train Simulator another midlife revision that it so desperately needs. I hope DTG will, just like is happening with SimRail as we speak, do playtests with new pieces of software so we can trace bugs, find erros and fix them on a daily or weekly basis.

I also hope that DTG will communicate with the community what they really want and communicate what the scope of these upgrades will be, as the article states its 'the tip of the iceberg'. This has already been downtrotted a bit that things might not continue depending on the development time or costs or whatever the reason is, which is reasonable I guess.

I would love the core getting an upgrade so we can get 60 frames per second on busy stations with lots of assets, better loading times with custom assets (.ap quickload settings have improved things a lot, but third party still takes quite some time) and a quicker loading menu, which for me, usually takes about 30 seconds because I have so much stuff in it. Oh, and a wildcard search bar in the editor, pretty pretty please (search 'tree' and get every item with 'tree' in the name).

That's why I'm asking DTG: What is the scope of these upgrades? Can we, overtime, expect a complete overhaul of the core or will that be completely out of the scope and will things be more minor?

I'm glad this has been announced and I hope we can work together to bring Train Simulator into a new phase in its life.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Excellent news!!! I'm so happy to hear this!! Thank you!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Very good news indeed. Excited to see what is to be announced in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  27. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

A lot of these questions will be answered in a future article like this, but we would like to beta a lot of the more widely-impacting changes, yes. Whether it'd be a public beta, or a smaller group of players is still up for discussion at this stage.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  28. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

As a general note, thank you for all the interest and questions on this thread. Steve is on holiday until after Christmas now, but we'll collate the questions and feedback for him to review in the New Year (or before, if he's feeling particularly keen to jump in during the festive window!).

• Like Like x 10
  29. orb

orb Well-Known Member

For as long as TS will still work under Proton, go ahead with the update.

• Like Like x 1
  30. robix61

robix61 New Member

It'd be great to definively fix the "Out of Memory" error.

• Like Like x 1
  31. steve1023

steve1023 New Member

Great news guys. Really happy with this.

• Like Like x 1
  32. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Finally! TSC is definitely my preferred game due to its versatility, and the fact it's finally being brought into the present is awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  33. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

35. ZaphodScotsman

ZaphodScotsman New Member

Will this update include finally fixing the out of memory error?

36. HaskyRo

HaskyRo New Member

any chances to implement the "bail off" function ?

37. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Sorry, the link text is misleading, it points to a post in that thread regarding the forced validation when you purchase new dlc, link text now changed.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

There was no update read my reply to Michael above.

39. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely good news and some of them can be enlisted to work for the sister game train simulator world for example ChrisTrains can help DTG on cross border Germany to Netherlands Road examples are Bahnstrecke Bremen Delmenhorst Oldenburg Leer Deutschland Niederlande Bad Nieuwschans Groningen Hollandstrecke Duisburg/Bochum-Utrecht

40. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

I don’t know if i am in the minority here, but i wouldn’t mind paying for a substantial core upgrade, if that would ensure thorough betatesting of backwards compability.

• Like Like x 1
  41. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Make ap file structure togglable.

42. Doomotron

It isn't an option as far as I am aware, any content released via Steam will be in the AP format.

43. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I definitely feel that consist editor building should be in the same way route building is done. Or make it where consists created in the editor can actually be saved to use across on any route.

The editor as it stands has been one feature I haven’t been able to use for a good couple of years.

I’d also like to see better workshop support where modifications can be uploaded and used with going through the hassle of acquiring them through 3rd party websites and possible installing them wrong which can cause all sorts of issues within itself.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Doomotron

Hopefully a separate folder for mods can be used so verifications don't delete every mod that's been installed in Assets.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

1) That would either break literally every modification out there (10's of thousands by now maybe?) or would (have to be) be backward compatible which would achieve nothing because everyone would keep their old modifications exactly where they currently are (not in a mod folder) that's a huge waste of human man hours and resources to effectively change nothing made in the last 9yrs. Also see point 2 because that's relevant to this part also.

2) A verification deletes nothing, it will replace files that don't match what's in its database but will not delete anything outside of an .ap archive (it is called an archive because all an .ap is is a renamed .zip archive), there are older routes that are not in .ap archives and any modified files within those archives (absolutely the wrong way to modify this game anyway) will be replaced, also the same applies to files in other locations for example a custom HUD texture file in data/textures/frontend will be replaced (just keep a copy somewhere else on your system to replace the replaced files after the verification).

You need to get to the bottom of your particular issue because affixing the blame with Steams verification process is incorrect and it's stonewalling you from finding the real culprit.

I'd advise you to read this post as it explains very well what a file verification by Steam can and cannot do. >> https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...tion-what-it-does-doesnt-do-an-opinion.62821/

• Like Like x 1
  46. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

47. QO1922

QO1922 Member

This is very good news but it comes late (too late). In my opinion there are too many updates and I don't know how it will affect to the old DLC. At the moment I am still waiting for the bug fix of the pantographs of the TGV réseau (irony)

48. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

They can be saved, I do it all the time as it saves hours in scenario building time.
    The editor is the best feature of TS20XX/Classic. If I, at nearly 75, can use it, with ease, it is not a DTG problem. I build routes, scenarios and do repaints. I use the editor every day.
    In view of both the above points - have you actually read the manual or watched any YouTube videos showing how to....?

• Like Like x 1
  49. I'm happy to hear that the game is gonna receive a few upgrades in the near future.
    I'm also worried what this will mean for older content? A few times in the past changes have been made that have ruined routes that I've spent months working on.

My main question is.... if the upgrades do pose a problem can we leave tsc where its at and not be forced to upgrade it?

• Like Like x 2
  50. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Then change the ap format to 7zip.