Out Of Memory Crash With Ts2020

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by paulspencer1957, Sep 22, 2019.

1. paulspencer1957

paulspencer1957 New Member

Hi there. I'm one of a small but select group of TS2020 owners that are currently unable to run Steam TS2020 at all. We can launch the programme and move around the menus, change settings etc but as soon as we have selected a route and click the Start button, the application crashes with an Out of Memory message and a suggestion to dial down the settings. I have been in touch with DTG support, provided logs and performed the actions they suggested but nothing has worked. I have reinstalled Steam and TS2020 umpteen times, changed Windows settings, all kind of things but nothing makes the slightest difference. I have a fairly high powered desktop pc with 32gb ram and a 1080ti video card with 11gb vram so it ought to be able to run TS2020 quite comfortably and yet something somewhere is stopping it. I also run Steam on an older lower powered laptop and I'm having the exact same issue.

Looking at the posts on this forum no others affected by this issue have found their way here but there's a few of us actively contributing theories over on the discussion pages for Train Simulator within Steam. I don't know if DTG monitor those discussions but if not it might be helpful to pop over there, take a look and see if anyone has any bright ideas. Us unlucky ones must have something in common but it's proving impossible to work out what it can be, and believe me when I say that we have tried all of the usual remedies.

I have invested a fair amount of money purchasing routes but I'm not a power user by any means, there are others that have a far greater stake in getting this problem resolved than me. For their sake and mine I hope that DTG will work with us to find a solution.

Thanks for listening

• Like Like x 9
  2. IGIcoliver

IGIcoliver Member

I have also had a similar issue with out of memory crashes after the update were I did not have them before. Weirdly in task manager it says my whole pc was only using less than 4GB of ram (I have 16GB total) when I crashed. So possibly the 64bit version for some reason is not able to use more than 4GB.

• Like Like x 1
  3. paulspencer1957

Thanks for that, seems some people are able to run 32bit but not 64bit or vice versa, unfortunately I can't run either! May be related but immediately prior to the 2020 update I ran TS2019 for the first time in a couple of months and it would also crash but this time with an Access Violation message. Seems like more than a coincidence to me but I really need an experts assistance as I'm way out of my depth and simply want to get it running like it was back in July.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Hi there, apologies for the issue you are having. Our offices are currently closed for the weekend, but I will make sure to investigate this problem first thing tomorrow in the morning and see what's happening with crashes and what solution we may offer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. paulspencer1957

Thank you for your message. I have a ticket #NCR-667-95706 and exchanged a few emails with someone in support but he seemed certain it was a Windows 10 issue, nothing he suggested made any difference. I've since tried many other ideas but no luck. There are quite a few of us in the same boat so any assistance would be very welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. nigeldarl2

nigeldarl2 New Member

I am getting the same problem with out of memory but before the update was working fine. but it does happen in the editor on 64bit. my machine has 16GB and a GTX 1070 graphics card the system is the
    ROG GT51CH machine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TrainSim-Dmitri

Hi there, if anyone is having crashes could you please forward us the crash logs by creating a ticket in our support system.

If you CAN get into the game please follow the instructions to submit a crash log: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Kn...-to-provide-a-logmate-report-how-do-i-do-this

If you CAN'T get into the game please find this folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railwork\TempDump\Logs, and copy and insert into the ticket your most recent crash logs.

That would greatly help us to identify the problem. Thanks.

8. TrainSim-Dmitri

Update:

Hi again folks, could someone who is experiencing crashes try this:

Please delete SDBCache.bin file from your content folder and see if that unblocks the game?

Content folder is located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Content

9. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

It seems that the OP has found his own salvation, by.... turning off the internet...
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/eureka-solution-to-out-of-memory-crash.18472/

Now I wonder where he got that idea.... ;-)

Anyway - this is probably my last post on these Forums, but I am glad to have been of assistance to some. It's been emotional.... (to quote Mr Vinnie Jones...).

10. VION

VION Active Member

Ok with the unplug from the internet connection I'm thinking it has to do with the UDP/EDP stuff entrance/exit communications exchange allowed in windows parameters.
    Just my though
    Although I'm glad that solve some problems.
    Cheers
    Gerard

11. RichardP

RichardP New Member

Hi. I have a similar issue and a case (OIX-957-58612) open for a few days now. 32bit works fine. 64bit hangs/crashes. Just tried unplugging the internet cable - no luck for me. Also tried removing SDBCache.bin as suggested above. Still the same issue.

It is a little strange as it lets me complete the academy scenarios in 64 bit - but try any of the drives and the games crashes after about 60 seconds after the train starts moving.

Any further suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

12. tvcn6229

tvcn6229 New Member

Hello guys,
    I had the same trouble with TS2020! not 2019! In 32bit with TS2020, the game crash at the opening of the line that I am busy to create. It may seems just before seen the route then after loading the Assets. in 64bit with TS2020, it's running! Memory used about 1,8Go... I have juste verify the integrity of the files. Some of them had to be acquisited again. Now, 32 or 64bits, no trouble!

Personnaly, I have also seen that TS 64 is not able to manage more than 4go!
    If there are too many trains and after (by the logical of Assets loading) there are too many assets to display (houses, trees...) and the memory is above 4.194.304Ko, TS64 crash! by unable to display all the Assets.
    Strange.... Why 4go? due to my GTX660? I have 24Go (3x8). Due to the "Windows display"? (yes I am using the windows display to see on googlemaps and other picture to be the most realistic as possible).

Vincent

13. RichardP

RichardP New Member

Just an update on my issue.... DTG Support have found that a recent change to Windows 10 has been causing my crash with my sound hardware. My 'temporary' fix is to disable my 'Dell AC511 USB SoundBar' driver and play the game using standard speakers. This has worked fine.

Big thanks to DTG Support for solving the issue and getting this working.

14. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Hi, can anyone make a suggestion. We are having the same issue on both 32 and 64 bit on TS2020. When we launch the game either on or offline the system goes through the v68.2c updating scenario database routine and then the moment it moves to the saving scenario database routine crashes out with the 0xC0000005 Memory error.
    We have tries deleting the SDBCache file beforehand but the system rebuilds a file of approx size 4,450KB every time.
    We have a ticket open with DTG NXN-407-57071 but no solution yet.
    This is running in a brand new hi spec laptop on Windows 10.
    Thanks Alistair

15. Nigel Kendal-Ward

Nigel Kendal-Ward New Member

Well, that totally screwed the system. Deleted he cache and train sim hangs on updating database.....

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you any Workshop Scenarios installed?
    If so Uninstall them using the Steam Client before starting the Game.
    Go in to Community > Workshop then remove any Workshop add-ons
    If one of those scenarios is faulty then if might cause the Out Of Memory problem

Peter

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  17. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Very annoying I know as I suffer the same problem, however if you just keep trying it will start eventually.
    Some times it will start first try but not very often, other times after 12 attempts but always starts eventually for me.
    Click 64exe, click OK in out of mem box, click 64exe
    Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.
    Very frustrating at times but I allow an extra 10 mins now to get the game going.
    I have complained when 64bit first came out as hundreds of others did too, but hey who listens.
    32 bit is fine for me MOST of the time and like most people I have more than enough memory and high specs to know that this is not the issue.
    Just keep clicking and repeating until it lets you in. Good luck.

18. robredhead

robredhead New Member

Have been getting out of memory crashes in quick drive recently in 64 bit have 32 Gb RAM so plenty of memory, also 6GB GPU, can't see it running out of VRAM in framebuffer, unless an 8 Gb GPU is needed now, game has never been that well optimised anyway.

19. Aljaž Skarlovnik

Aljaž Skarlovnik Active Member

I've got this probelm too, but strangely only when I try to run the freeware NYC Hudson from http://digitalrailroading.net/index_Maint.html

this previously got me a 140.dll error, but now that that's fixed, I'm now getting this infuriating bug.

20. Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson New Member

Add me to the list. TS2020 64-bit Version was humming along with a few crashes, but I knew that my 2009 Alienware was somewhat underpowered: 8G RAM and relatively older NVidia graphics cards (the unit is dual-powered). Nonetheless, all was good until yesterday. First, there was the "turn down the graphics" message. Second came a series of engines without textures, that were good the day before. Finally, starting last night, the game will load and run for a while before the screen goes black and the PC has to be rebooted. Ran Windows Diagnostics this morning and got the following: "Railworks.exe. Memory Overuse". The details indicated that the program was trying to use too much virtual memory. Note that TS 2019 64-bit was working just fine. Another confounding issue may be Steam. Steam just had a major update to their GUI. Could that be part of the problem? No matter, TS is a major source of intellectual pleasure and is sorely missed.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ruckowner

ruckowner New Member

After reading this having issues with constant crashing on a new computer build. Add me to the list of having an issue with constant crashing in 64bit 2020. I tried switching to on board sound, what do you know, it no longer crashes.

Dovetail, Please fix this issue with using a sound card and causing this game crash!!

Thank you for others finding the cause as I was pulling my hair out trying to fix it.

22. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

While DTG are fixing this issue and providing us with an update on same, is there any chance the Clear Cache restart can put 64bit users back in their 64bit game. Just two of the issues that are persuading me to spend more time with other PC games, but without doubt the two that cause me give up.

23. paulM-UK

paulM-UK New Member

Hi, Started trying to play TS 2 or 3 weeks back, loading my old long unused TS 2015. It updated to 2020 of course. I thought I was alone with the out of memory error due to my long unused styeam and TS so uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, then submitted ticket.
    For me, I would get the out of memory error at any attempt to hit the start button for any type of train drive, 64 or 32 bit.
    Have been through much tinkering as a result of the ticket, noithing has changed, until I saw these forums. Tried the unplug the internet thing mentioned here, and I can drive trains again.
    I wonder if its an ISP issue, are the unfortunate players with the error all on Virgin Media like me.
    Regardless Im fed up of playing the support ticket game, I will now just wait till its fixed by an upgrade to windows10, steam, or TS2020.
    Ill play Euro truck sim instead, also on steam, and works perfectly.

24. bmf165

bmf165 New Member

And all this time I thought it was just me, I actually purchased TS2019 64bit in August of this year, to run on my Windows 10 64bit OS.
    I can't remember asking or paying for the TS2020 upgrade. Never the less since the so called upgrade, I keep getting errors such as: -

"Failed to create Vertex Buffer (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
    File: DxCommon\cHcVertexManagerDx.cpp
    LINE:1234 ",

I can't for life of me understand why, my PC Specs are as follows:-

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Eight-Core 3.7GHz
    G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32Mb DDR4 PC24000
    ASUS X470 ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO motherboard
    ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB ROG STRIX OC GAMING
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
    Intel 500GB SSD

For the last couple of days I have been getting the following::-

Exception Code: 0xC0000005

Exception Info: OUT OF MEMORY

The system is unable to run this scenario on the current configuration, we suggest either lowering the graphical quality settings or attempting to run the game in the 64-bit version, if this fails to resolve the issue please contact our Customer Support Team at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com

Strange since I am already running the 64 bit version.

Also to be noted, when I clear the cache, and the game suggests a restart of the game, it automatically re-starts TS2020 32 bit.
    To add insult to injury, yesterday when I loaded a route I have spent weeks building, on, all the track, signals, and portals were missing, leaving all the rest of the scenery in tact..WTF

25. ChooChooKeith

ChooChooKeith Active Member

I am now getting this crash after the update and everything and is not specific to a scenario but I have tried to clear cache and it worked but then happened again tonight. I ran the scenario again after clearing the cache and made it to Karlsruhe. This issue seems random .. it is on 64bit and I have not run anything on 32bit.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  26. steves0835au

steves0835au New Member

Exception Info: OUT OF MEMORY

The system is unable to run this scenario on the current configuration, we suggest either lowering the graphical quality settings or attempting to run the game in the 64-bit version, if this fails to resolve the issue please contact our Customer Support Team at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com

Strange since I am already running the 64 bit version.

Also to be noted, when I clear the cache, and the game suggests a restart of the game, it automatically re-starts TS2020 32 bit.
    To add insult to injury, yesterday when I loaded a route I have spent weeks building, on, all the track, signals, and portals were missing, leaving all the rest of the scenery in tact..WTF[/QUOTE]

Add me as well. Been a while since I played and game updated from TS2019 to TS 2020. Also was working on in editor 64bit creating a build, after 2 days work, crashed on the saved. Which wiped all track work laid, signaling work, fencing and leaving the buildings and trains. search to find this forum . following the instruction laid out here / "In the Launch Options window, add the following text: -LogMate -SetLogFilters=all (Note: this must be entered EXACTLY as shown, as launch options are case and whitespace sensitive. Just select the text, copy and then paste into the box.)" once I have the required info will add a ticket.

27. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Hint: To always start in 64 bit, create a desktop shortcut from RailWorks64.exe located in the RailWorks folder and place it on your desktop.

• Like Like x 1
  28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

My problem seems to have been part of my recent upgrade fro Windows 7 to 10
    A possible solution was suggested on another forum and so far it works

Close Steam and TS
    Navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content and delete/rename the following 4 files:
    SDBCache.bin
    SDBCache.bin.MD5
    RVDBCache.bin
    RVDBCache.bin.MD5

I added .OLD to each file - like SDBCache.bin.OLD

When you start up TS2020 it takes a few mins longer to rebuild these missing files and then it seems ok.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  29. PaulLovesPhotos

PaulLovesPhotos New Member

I went into the TS2020 'Railworks' folder and renamed Railworks.exe to "Railworks32.exe" and Railworks64.exe to just "Railworks.exe".. and now the Steam app restarts in 64-bit after clearing cache or starting straight from the taskbar :).. also, you could rename your renamed Railworks32.exe as "Railworks64.exe" if you ever want to use the 32-bit version from the Steam app.
    I saw that someone in this thread was fed up of using the 64-bit and Steam only restarting the 32-bit.. but, it's only good until the next update.. lol
    Nothing to do with the crashes, but a fix to a problem all x64 users keep having.

• Like Like x 1
  30. moponi

moponi New Member

Add me as well. Been a while since I played and game updated from TS2019 to TS 2020. Also was working on in editor 64bit creating a build, after 2 days work, crashed on the saved. Which wiped all track work laid, signaling work, fencing and leaving the buildings and trains. search to find this forum . following the instruction laid out here / "In the Launch Options window, add the following text: -LogMate -SetLogFilters=all (Note: this must be entered EXACTLY as shown, as launch options are case and whitespace sensitive. Just select the text, copy and then paste into the box.)" once I have the required info will add a ticket.[/QUOTE]

Railsimulator64.exe is not a true 64bit application, that is clear to me by now. DTG has put some sort of pseudo code together where the executable reports 64bit but with memory allocation nothing like 64bit. Not surprising, actually. The level of competence is... not the highest.

31. Dom Whibley

Dom Whibley Active Member

Right then. So whenever my game hits a usage of 3GB of main memory, I get the well known error:

"The system is unable to run this scenario on the current configuration, we suggest either lowering the graphical quality settings or attempting to run the game in the 64-bit version, if this fails to resolve the issue please contact our Customer Support Team at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com."

I would like to point out that yes, I am running 64 bit edition and that secondly, I am using no more than 16GB of my 24GB when this occurs and I'm usually using a few GB less than that.

I'd be interested to know how much memory usage other people's games are using when they crash.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  32. Dom Whibley

And now it's just happening whenever it feels like it.

33. bernsa737

bernsa737 New Member

I have the same exact situation as holt.alistair posted in post #14 above:
    Exact same situation here. This started during and immediately after the installation of the following workshop item:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=473466457 - Seemed the scenario descriptor XML was corrupted and a path to an asset was corrupted.

I have done all the tricks including:
    • Validating Files
    • Removing SDBCache.bin
    • Disconnecting completely from Steam (Turning WiFi off)
    • Inside and outside Steam
    • Removing the Steam Workshop folder 24010
    • Unsubscribing from ALL workshop items
    • Deleting the actual scenario files from the route
    • Removing and Reinstalling the route DLC
    • 32bit and 64 bit - does not seem to matter
    • Running log collection and no error seems to be generated other than the memory error
    What else can I do at this point?? The game will not launch even into the main menu at this time.
    Does uninstalling re-installing involve re-staging the DLC and will it fix it?

UPDATES:
    I have seemingly isolated the problem by removing 3 routes in particular. I'm not sure what the issue with them specifically are, but I seem to recall that at some point I entered Route Editor in 64 bit on them (Accidentally) or they had some workshop scenarios associated with them with assets I did not known. "Uninstalling" the 3 routes allows the game to enter into menus. However when I re-installed 1 of the offending routes, the problem has re-appeared.

FINAL UPDATE: Time spent debugging: ~3-4 hours.
    Isolating the routes using the logging tool helped to identify any scenarios that were not properly loading. I had several that seemed to be causing the issue as they may have had hidden DLC that was either no longer available or their asset keys are no longer consistent. A few of these I thought I had eliminated earlier, but the one that caused the major disruption seemed to trigger all the rest.
    After unsubscribing to workshop scenarios, Using the logging tool and route name tool, I was able to find the 3 routes with issues and un-installed the route to make debugging easier. I removed any lingering scenarios that were note associated with assets (Locos and Route assets). This involved examning any remaining scenario's XML for metadata which at best hinted where the scenario came from. I removed the Scenario DB, reinstalled the routes, and I seem to be operational once gain.

Lessons learned is to really pay attention to workshop scenario meta tags for hints on assets needed. I wish this was better delineated on Steam, but a lot of scenario creators seem to struggle with listing all the required assets. For route/scenario #1 on the Northeast Corridor, this may have been from expecting a "Merged" route where I had the component routes installed. For route/scenario #2 ECML London-Petersborough this appeared to be an asset that no longer is available in the database. For route/scenario #3 NJT Morristown - Not sure but I think it was a "merged" route issue once again (Same package of routes as #1).

What seemed to trigger this was when I downloaded a scenario for a 4th route which might have been looking for assets not on my system. Once I cleaned that up, the remaining issues seemed to be blocking the scenario db validation causing the error memory.

It was far from user-friendly and I feel bad for casual computer folks who may have to debug stuff without help. I feel the error reporting might have been better if it provided a hint as to which scenario triggered the issue, rather than digging through various internet forums about how to enable logging, learning about the scenario database, and using the asset keys to hunt down the offending material. It's just not the most graceful user friendly way to handle the situation to say the least. My engineering background helped to sort of triage the situation, but the lack of tools and insights as to where to start was frustrating. It was obvious that the last scenario downloaded was creating issues, but not that other scenarios were causing issues.

FWIW it looked at one point that workshop listed a scenario some completely foreign material that looked to be assocaited with a space battle game (I forget the name but let's just say it was like "alien sci-fi" in nature - human readable but a name more appropriate for like a space battle game along the lines of "Terrainthians vs Xenos" I didn't capture it because that's when TS2020 first crashed).

The fragility of the system is well known and documented, and it seems some basic key validation and graceful error handling, scenario management tools would go a long way from saving users from some future headaches.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Dom Whibley

I don't wish to be rude, but I would like to know whether or not this issue is actually being looked into by DTG, as no developer has commented on it since September, despite it still being a common issue among many people playing the game. I have a few friends who are currently playing the game considerably less due to this issue. I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I personally think that this issue should take priority over new DLC, as whose going to buy additional content for a game they can barely play.

• Like Like x 2
  35. 2cme

2cme New Member

Hi,

Here's my general observation on the 2020 memory error, when I get this error it's seems linked to a sound bug in the 2020 version, it happens only on some DLC, mainly stream engines when the chuffs change between 30 - 40 mph, it can happen with Ai coming in the opposite direction, the 395 hitting 50 mph in a tunnel for example, It doesn't happen on all DLC, but it seems to happen on DLC with more complicated sound set ups. World Editor and scenario editing work fine, I run a lot of custom ambient sounds that I did for Uktrain sim packs, these all run fine and never crash the game or editor. So am pointing the error in my experience at some change in the game how it handles certain DLC sounds in 2020, this causes it to hang abruptly.

To test this, I've rolled back the installation to TS 2019 v58.4 (I think) which is (IMO) reliable install. The error has disappeared, DLC/sound runs normally. I'll test more and update here but so far so good,. I run large TS DLC/route install in full settings at 4k on a Nivida 980tdi card/16 MG/I7 processor/window 7.. so it's pretty demanding on intensive routes with a frame rate around 20/30 which is fine,

I can't hammer home the importance of backing up versions of this game when it works for you, it's always been buggy and will break your heart if you don't. If you have a back up try that and see will it run. Keep your current buggy install Assets & Content folders very safe, this is where your recent DLC/routes live You need these to bring your install back up to date in terms of DLC & routes. losing these are a whole world of pain... They might be causing the error, but that's another story...
    H

36. moponi

moponi New Member

I feel like maybe DTG think they are clever by leaving a half baked so called 64-bit version (it is not) of TS2020 for people to fight with, in order to see more buying into the TSW franchise instead. But as I understand, people with TSW are having the same sort of experience as always, with DLC launched with obvious shortcomings and errors to be abandoned by devs for new shiny and buggy DLC. It's a certain ethic, it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  37. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

One more thing to consider on this. Do not run external sound cards or USB sound devices. Only use native/onboard audio.

38. hightower

hightower Guest

Just to add to the list, I’ve been getting more and more of these dumps recently.

It’s nothing to do with which version you’re running, or how much RAM you have. There’s something fundamentally sketchy going on with the game.

They actually seem to be getting more in number with every day that passes. Grrrrrr

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2020
  39. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

DTG has pretty much washed their hands of this issue stating that it is most likely content conflicts with DLC. See posts # 14 and #33. I tend to agree. It does not happen to everyone. It happens to me only in certain DLC. If I have this issue I run logmate and the last few entries will help point to the most likely problem folder. 80% of my content is 3rd party or workshop. To prove this to yourself download a pristine copy of the game to another drive (internal or external) and play it from there and make sure that you are playing on a machine that has adequate specs and not marginal for this game.

40. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I ran into the Exception Code: 0xC0000005 OUT OF MEMORYOut of Memory as well today after downloading a route and some workshop scenarios. Clearing the cache did not help. I also unsubscribed from all the workshop items - it was a bit out of control at around 125. That didn't help. So I tried to delete the workshop items directly.

I found this folder: … Program Files(x86), Steam, steamapps, workshop, content
    but the files were blank. Moving them didn't solve the problem. What are these files?

From one of you earlier posts, I went to: … Program Files(x86), Steam, steamapps, common, railworks, Content, Routes
    and deleted everything I had installed today. That allowed me to open the program so that I could manually delete all my Workshop items and things seem to be running fine.

Interestingly, when I go back to the Routes folder, everything is dated 12/24/19 even though I have now redownloaded the route I purchased and 3 workshop items.

From now on, no more than 3 workshop items in my game at once! This was not the first time an out of control workshop list got me in trouble.

Thank you for your posts on this subject. They bailed me out today!

41. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I notice sometimes, the Out of Memory errors can occur if modifications are made to a route or if the graphical settings are higher than what the computer can efficiently handle for Train Simulator. I could be wrong on this but the errors I have received so far revolve around these instances. A fresh install of Train Simulator with no workshop items and no mods often fixes the exception error too.

42. hightower

hightower Guest

FWIW,

I submitted a ticket regarding this (you’ve all
    done that right?) and the following came out of it;

- the issue is still being investigated by a 3rd party (whoever, or whatever that means)
    - The dump error that gets shown (the OOM with the advice to run in 64bit) is the only dump error message the game has, so irrespective of what it’s dumped for, you’ll get that message. Rarely will this be the cause.
    - I disabled all the audio devices on my machine except the one I use. That seems to have made it a bit more stable. They suspect audio may have something to do with it.

If you haven’t submitted a ticket I urge you to so. Without them nothing will ever change.

43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have been using TS1 again for a couple of months in 64 bit mode with no problems, until this afternoon. I have made a scenario for Riviera in the 50's, there is quite a lot of traffic on it. Last time I worked on it it went from the editor into drive mode with no problems. I decided I wanted to play it this afternoon but it won't load even in 64 bit mode, which it helpfully tells me to use, even though I am! I turned the settings quite far down and it still won't load, neither will it load in the editor. Other scenarios starting from Kingswear load okay so I don't know whether to report it as maybe it is just a scenario with too much traffic in it, although I have done them on other routes with more. It is disappointing as I thought the 64 bit mode was supposed to fix it, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had happened in 32 bit mode as it was quite a regular occurrence when that was all we had.

Also I notice that I have missing textures on the passenger information screens on WCML Over Shap, don't know if somehow those are connected so will verify the cache and see if that helps either problem!

I might submit a ticket about the scenario not loading anyway even if it might be my scenario.

44. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had a problem yesterday where some buildings and signals did not appear
    Parts of the buildings and the signal lights were visible but not fully.
    I closed down TS and restarted and that seemed to fix it

I have a few problems with crashes in the last few days but my Graphics settings were maxed out
    I dropped Scenery Quality and Scenery Density back a notch and it seems ok so far.

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  45. juerg.schumacher

juerg.schumacher New Member

Hi guys, since yesterday (or was it the day before?) I'm no longer able to edit my own route. It's not even possible to run the most recent copies which I made at least 2x daily after having lost the complete tracks.bin with the work of about 600 hours (the same desaster as written by one of our colleagues above).

Is that really true that the 64 bit version of TS2020 can not handle more memory than 4 GB?

If that's true, the reason at least for my issues might be clear. I use the assets of 2 Rivet Games routes (each about 1.6 GB), one Thomson Interactive route and one route from Virtual Railroads. I guess that all these assets will exceed the 4GB limit.

The last action which was possible was to change a very specific signal link after having contacted Alan Thomson. Saving the edits was fine. Since then I was no longer able to start the editor.

BTW: I use a HP OMEN X 900 with 64 GB RAM, i9 processor, 2x GTX1080TI SLI and Windows 10. All recommended hardware tests are fine. All drivers are up to date (verified each driver manually).

In my opinion there is at least one big fault in the core application of TS2020. And it's annoying to get always the same answers from DTG that there must be a faulty RAM or VRAM or sound card, especially when all other applications and games work fine.

Best regards
    Juerg (George)

46. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you have heard that "the 64 bit version of TS2020 can not handle more memory than 4 GB?"
    I think the 32bit version has problems with memory but the 64bit does ok for me.

The one item on your list that does cause problems for some games is Windows 10
    I was thinking it was doing something the other week causing it to hog the memory and crash the game.

Peter Hayes might have some ideas

Peter

47. juerg.schumacher

juerg.schumacher New Member

Hi Peter

I've studied all posts in this thread and there is more than one time a hint that the 64 bit version seems to be a sort of "Fake 64 bit" application.

Meanwhile I've used hours and hours to run all possible hardware tests, not only from Hewlett Packard, Microsoft and the manufacturers of HDs and graphics, but even from independent test laboratories. There can not be found any fault.

The only thing I have not yet done is to remove and re-install the TS2020. I'm really afraid to kill my tracks.bin again or to loose my bought routes which have not been delivered by STEAM.

48. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You do realise the game dates from 2009 and because everything bought since then will still run with on TS2020 is why the core engine has not been updated beyond allowing 64bit to use more of the memory. Does not matter you have a computer with a lot of power and memory the game can only use so much of that.

Have you downloaded anything off the workshop as that can and does cause problems

Why are you losing anything you have not bought on Steam - do you not have a backup drive?
    IF you go down the reinstall route -
    Copy your Assets and Content folder to a backup drive and then copy them back later - you don't lose anything.
    I had to do that when my 500gb hard drive was getting full so I purchased a I Tb drive and copied everything to it.

Have a read of post #33 and see if any of that info helps

Peter

49. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I know its not the same as making a route. But having spent most of a day making a reasonably intensive scenario on the Riviera in the 50's route, which ran when I started it from the editor, to find now it can't open it at all even with the settings down I do wonder why I bothered and whether I should do again.

It must be utterly gut wrenching to lose a route.

An internet search reveals quite a few people having trouble getting the programme to run, some can't even get it to run at all and all get the same unhelpful generic message telling you to use 64 bit, when you already are as it is supposed to make things better!

I will send a support request but as it is my own scenario using many third party add-ons I am not sure I will get any help.

50. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Maybe going to Steam directly and lodging a complaint as to fit for purpose may give you leverage.

• Like Like x 2