Station Names On Map

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BjornGroen02NL, Sep 3, 2019.

1. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

So, I have a lot of hours in TSW now and there are not many things that are bugging me. Apart from this: if I press the "9" key to bring up the map, the stations are blue colored which is nice. But there are no names on it so it is very hard to remember them. TS20XX has names for the stations on the map, but why doesn't TSW have this? Especially on long routes such as Rapid Transit with a lot of stations this is a frustrating issue. I hope DTG reads this and takes note of it.

• Like Like x 50
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The more I play, the more I want this. Would be good to have a dot or blob on each station too, since the blue section isn't always clear when zoomed out, alongside the names.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I second this. The best way would be to add a button on the map to toggle the descriptions on and off.

• Like Like x 6
  4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Station names on a map is one of those things that seems so stunningly obvious, you can't help wonder why they are not already included... But, I can think of a few reasons why this could actually be quite difficult to do with scaling text, depending on the way they've drawn the (zoomable) map. But the effect that you desire can be achieved, with a bit of work...

They have managed to get the blue icons on the map (scenario markers, etc.), so it should be possible to have a large wide icon image, that happens to be made out of text that reads as a station name, pinned to the right location, or possibly a small plain icon, with some hover-text.

This would be a massive improvement to the map... in fact, it would make the current "map", an actual map....

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've wondered why they haven't (or cannot) do this, as it's been a feature in TSx since I've played it (in both the main game and editor)
    If you can do it in Dx, why not UE?

• Like Like x 1
  6. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Adding this,more, I’d like to see junction names added.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but that would require both the names themselves and an on-off toggle, which really doesn't seem necessary.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

Adding place names to the 2D map has already been suggested numerous times . . . to no avail. Perhaps when elephants fly?

9. ARuscoe

IF it works the same as TSx (which it probably doesn't) then the markers on the track which act as stopping or waypoints can be named, so no reason why junctions couldn't get the same treatment, though they don't by default in TSx.

10. synthetic.angel

I would be quite happy if they just added a static map (as an image), for each route (like the blue splash screen for the route, or the collectable maps), that you could access when driving in a module. It is important for route learning. A basic need, in fact.

As for the live map - I am not sure how they have done it. If it is a UE widget, then they should be able to put sub-widgets in (the place names), or add overlays. They have a lot of switches and signals, and train sprites running around, actively linked across many game tiles.. which isn't totally straightforward in itself (because the "map" is covering a huge area, well over a hundred "tiles" or UE "levels"...) - so a bit of text might seem easy enough to add in, but this scale of mapping could also be why it isn't easy.... If they did add place names, then you might lose the lightning fast zoom, or some other functionality - the map in TSW is quite dynamic.

I would have the station stops represented by a red circle, and then have the names appear at max zoom (and only at max zoom) - I am fairly sure that is an easy solution - to add to the live map.

All that said, it might be dead easy, but DTG might have just not bothered, as with a lot of other aspects of the UI....

If the live map is not a UE HUD/widget, but some sort of other plug-in (it does stutter a bit when it loads in), then depending on what that is, it might be tricky, or easy. Don't know.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Dakota

Dakota Member

Just to add weight to this... I'd also love to see the names. When I am blasting through a station I'd love to be able to know what it is, so I could learn the lay of the land. "Oh that's Twyford" etc. It must be toward the top of their list.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jalio

Jalio Active Member

Simple and nice, would like to see that also. Also helps to learn the route more does it not? :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I agree. It would also be nice to have track and siding labels even if it was a toggle switch to turn them on and off. At the moment you can see the next step for a scenario on the map but not for subsequent steps. If the labels were there you could work it out from the names.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

The fact is, a map is no good with no place names.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

I'm going to ask this here, since I haven't received a response in a previous thread:
    Does anyone know what the purple bits of track are on the map? For instance, if you look at Tees Valley, just below the non-functioning turntable, you'll see approx 100yd section that is colored purple. You see these on like every map. What does that purple bit represent?

16. BjornGroen02NL

My guess is that it are places where in real life trains or wagons would be "parked" but since this has never been explained, I can't guarantee you that.

Also, 6 months after I created this proposal I hope DTG will consider this as relevant. The more I play, the more I need it...
    TrainSim-Matt , please? ;)

17. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

I have certainly considered the "parking spot theory", but the Tees Valley example I use is, for lack of better term, the main line through, the up & down, the only two tracks there. A parked train would block all traffic.
    Back to the subject, an improved map with names, junctions, etc would be an excellent addition indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  18. esteeleiv

esteeleiv New Member

How do the actual engineers know when they are coming up on the station they need to stop at anyway?
    Curious question.

19. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Route Knowledge. During the driver training, you will get a set amount of time to learn the route. For example, you may get 30 days to learn Paddington to Reading. From knowledge, I know that if you are stopping at Slough on a HST going West, for example, then give it step 3 at the end of Langley platform. Or if you want to leave it a little bit later, you can give it step 4 at the next signal protecting Dolphin Junction.

Things you need to learn during route learning include but not limited to are the following:
    1. Linespeeds (and braking points).
    2. Stations (and braking points).
    3. Junctions including speeds and type of crossing. E.g. will you get a flashing yellow sequence or will you get checked down for the ‘approach release’ signals.
    4. Type of signalling, e.g. 3 aspect signalling, 4 aspect signalling, absolute block (semaphores), etc...
    5. Route risks. E.g. areas where signals are close together so you have to brake harder; SPAD risks and where all the Multi-SPAD signals are located- e.g. signal hidden around a bend; areas where TPWS is ‘sensitive’ so you have to get speed down against a red signal.
    6. Gradients
    7. Tunnels and viaducts
    8. Method of dispatch at stations (assuming no guard). E.g. At Slough, you have a dispatcher with a green flag/light. At Paddington and Reading, you get ‘CD’ (close doors) and ‘RA’ (right away) indications. All other stations in between is self dispatch.
    9. Areas of low adhesion so care needs to be taken when approaching those stations particularly in Autumn
    10. What platforms at stations are prohibited for certain traction, train lengths or services. E.g. you don’t want to be accepting platform 14 with a HST into Paddington
    11. Indications required in order to be able to stop at a station. E.g. if you need to stop at Burnham, you must be in the relief (slow) lines so you need to ensure you are routed onto the relief at Slough West junction if you’re still on the fast lines at Slough (Westbound).
    12. Stations that require selective door opening (SDO)
    I could go on all day but you get the general idea.

In order to learn the route and the above, you can go to the route school which each company will have- they will give you highly detailed route maps and DVDs. Also, you will have a route learning cab pass in order to either observe or drive trains over the route with a driver. At the end of the route learning period, you will be assessed by a driver manager to ensure competency of the route. Within the roster, you will get a route refresh day every few weeks to refresh routes that you don’t go over much such as diversionary routes.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  20. LastTrainToClarksville

Olaf,
    Could any of this training be added to TSW routes. The current "training" modules have always struck me as extremely elementary: not even adequate for situations that occur in scenarios or sessions [now called, ridiculously, "timetable"]. I'd like to have available, at minimum, training sessions covering all the procedures for starting up, shutting down, and changing over every engine, since the "Quick Start" guides found in the manuals now are far too elementary and lack illustrations. And that's just the beginning. How much real-world training you've described do you think could be added to TSW?

21. ARuscoe

All of it CAN be, but I think for some it would ruin their want of "jump in and drive"
    I did some playtesting with DTG last year and suggested a process similar to Gran Turismo for "gaining a license" which would start with the basics and work up from there, from fully prompted "starting up, moving off, put the brakes on here..." through to no HUD, no help etc to gain an "alpha license" or something like that. Nope...

22. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I've just resigned myself to the fact it's not worth the effort for DTG to do anything more than that which they already do. Very few people actually care about following procedures, route learning and correct train handling. Most people just want to start up the sim, have the train ready to go, and then drive to A to B using the HUD in lieu of route knowlege.

One nice thing about TSW is that you can ride in the cab without having to drive. This means you can do at least some route learning in the real world way. Break out a pen and pad, sit there and watch the world rolling by. Draw diagrams of the track layout, the speed limits, the signals. Make notes of any landmarks as you approach each station or junction. When you're driving you can pause the game, make notes about the changes in gradient, braking distances etc. You can learn enough this way to drive TSW without the HUD, which is a pretty decent challenge; It's just a shame the game doesn't recognise it and reward you for it, in fact it's what I thought 'Mastery' was going to do.

In terms of a realistic start up procedure, it doesn't really add much to the game because most of the features aren't modelled. For example, testing safety systems, setting up the Train Management System, setting up the cab radio etc etc. It's just not there in the game to be used.

23. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Getting back to the OP,
    Can anyone from DTG give a reply as to whether or not it is possible to upgrade the in-game map to include various other items of information such as names.
    As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not a real map without names.

• Like Like x 3
  24. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

I agree with Dean055, names on the maps would be so much better. Please!!!

25. BjornGroen02NL

I hope they will let us at least know whether this is possible or not. I hope that the "maps" will start to become real maps, instead of what it is right now.

26. BjornGroen02NL

I also just realized this is the feature thread with the most upvotes (40 upvotes), after "Guard mode" (66 upvotes) and "Animated Station Time And Display Boards" (60 upvotes). Shouldn't this make it, together with those other threads, a priority at DTG?

27. synthetic.angel

Absolutely fabulously helpful post...! I really wish DTG would put stuff like this into a manual, in order to explain the implications behind the difficulty settings (and make that available within the game). It's all obvious to a train driver, of course. And you can work it out if you are industrious and curiosity-minded.... but the average person buying the game would have no idea just how deep the game can go, and the average person doesn't read these Forums, let alone your specific very helpful post.

NB: Please do not "Like" my post here - the work was done by Olaf - so please "Like" or "Helpful" his post, at post #19.

• Like Like x 1
  28. synthetic.angel

Oh I think there are quite a few people that would give all of these things a go, if there were any effective training modules and/or tutorials, and/or any in-game manual explaining this stuff. It might make some of the rolling stock and scenarios slightly more difficult to script and design, but surely developers can learn those skills if they don't currently have them.... But it would be worth the effort - it would make the full potential depth of the game accessible.

One thing that would be helpful, regarding route learning, would be if TSW flashed up your location as you went through it, say, in the bottom left hand corner.... thus:

"SLOUGH STATION"
    "Mile Post 13"
    "Rogers Junction"
    "Gantry TW-1385"
    "M99 overpass"
    "Frodo's Tunnel"

You get this in a few racing simulations (mostly bike sims), telling you what corner you are approaching. And of course you get in GTA, telling you what intersection you are at.

And another thing, which sounds simple, but might well be extremely tedious to fix (although not at all difficult), would be if the distance to objective was in rail miles/kms, and not as the crow flies. Or, as a short-term measure at least, for the HUD in the bottom right to have a trip odometer.... (however realistic* that is, or not, cos I don't know....).

*EDITED TO ADD Just realised - this might be on the Class 66 computer - I haven't checked to see if I am right though. If it is, then a repeater on the HUD (or somewhere in the On Screen Display) could be helpful.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  29. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

It is certainly possible and is on the list, but not a top priority at the moment and must be added part of a bigger update, most likely to be in the future core updates.

Dmitri

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the kind words, it is nice to know people appreciate it. I have continued this discussion on a new thread as I didn't want to hijack this thread (see below)

P.S. I liked your comment :cool:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...tionality-general-discussion-continued.20602/

• Like Like x 1
  31. BjornGroen02NL

Thank you for your answer Dmitri, It´s great to see that it is at least on the list of priorities ;)