What Steam-era Routes Would You Like To See?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jolojonasgames, Jul 4, 2021.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, as many know steam engines for TSW are in developement, and projected to come with a 'Spirit of Steam' update. This update was announces alongside Rush Hour, which makes me believe that like Rush Hour, Spirit of Steam will come with at least one route, and possibily three.

This makes me wonder what kind of routes the community would like to see. Are you interested in historical routes set far in past when steam was still in regular operations, or would you like to see heritage railways?

Personally, I'd love to see routes from Steam's heyday. One of my favourite possibilities is the Preußische Ostbahn set in the 1910's, before WW1, which could include the prussian express engines and the well known Preußische P 8.

[​IMG]
    The Preußische P8

However, a route with SP Cab forwards and SP Daylight services (hauled by the iconic GS Classes of locomotives), a PRR route with their large steam hauled-express services (perhaps a section also featuring the electric GG-1), a LNER mainline with their A3 and A4 pacifics and finally a GWR mainline with among others the Castle Class could all be fun in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    A LNER A4 pacific, after the formation of BR

[​IMG]
    Promotional artwork for SP's Daylight services

Please let me (and others) know what kind of route would interest you, and do see this as an oppertunity to link your own steam route suggestions :).

P.S. I haven't posted this in the suggestions section of the Forums as it isn't a concrete suggestion, but a discussion about possibilities.

• Like Like x 3
  2. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a TSW version of Riviera in the 50's - a great route full of GWR goodness :)

• Like Like x 9
  3. jolojonasgames

As long as it includes a Castle class I'm all for it. That route could be great, and as DTG already has all the research on it, it wouldn't surprise me if that was one of the routes steam comes with.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

A modern day heritage line would be my favourite , the bluebell railway

• Like Like x 3
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’d love to see one of the monster American steam locos like big boy. I’d also love to see something in the Uk, a high speed steam perhaps over harringworth viaduct and then if there’s a third choice I’ll hand that over to the more knowledgeable people

• Like Like x 1
  6. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see a route with the Espee's Daylights, Cab Forwards, and other notable engines, $t3@m 3r@ C0@$t L1n3 1n 1t'$ 3nt1r3tY wH3n, as well as perhaps the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad for a foray into narrow gauge routes at some point, and I'd say a Great Central Main Line route would be nice to see as well.

7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I made a suggestion on here when Steam was first announced for the line from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Murton, closed in 1952. I totally didn't suggest it because its remains are about a 5 minute walk from me ;)

Seriously, though: I'd like to see even if it's only a small route, an LNER secondary route, going to various collieries, but also has a few through passenger services.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Great Central Railway in the latter days of BR Steam, Aylesbury to Rugby would be great. Loads of scope for passenger and freight operations, with the extensive marshalling yards and loco depot at Woodford Halse.
    Runner up would be a section of either the West Highland Line or maybe the Highland Main Line in steam days. Double headed Black Fives over Slochd and Druimachdar Summits.
    I would pay premium price £40 for either of those.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

West Coast Mainline Over Shap, perhaps in the late steam era to allow some of the earlier diesels to feature too.

The Port Road would be another good one.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Liverpool to Manchester with the original Rocket locomotive (1830)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

That would be a long run and surely would get quite boring quickly.

12. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I think that, given the way Train Sim World Updates work, that this will be the 2022 Release of TSW.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Great Central between Woodford Halse and Annesley which includes both Nottingham Victoria and Leicester Central.
    Mike.:)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Definitely give us something simple first, not the fastest, not the largest. Something where the concept tests itself.

Then... later on... give me PRR T1s :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Johan H

Johan H New Member

My prediction is that we get something for WSR, like a 7F or Hall, to work out the kinks before they release a dedicated route. The route itself shouldn't be much different than current ones, except art and design, and new (but old) signalling.
    Only my guess of course, I hope we get three routes from the go, we'll just have to wait and see.

16. jolojonasgames

I don't think WSR makes much sense as an introduction, as only a minority of players have it
    , thus preventing the rest of players from getting into steam from the get go unless they buy a route that might not interest them. I think it makes more sense to release Spirit of Steam with a route, so DTG has more potential customers for it, and if they did a route for each major market their potential amount of customers would be even larger.

As vehicle and enviroment artists are completely separate I think we'll still see a new route with Spirit of Steam, as steam will take some developement time and it probably doesn't make sense to have the route building team sit idly during all of that.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Johan H

Johan H New Member

jolojonasgames of course you're right, didn't even cross my mind that WSR isn't a included route, I've had it since release and who can remember what happened on 2018 :o

I'm blaming a weekend of kids birthday parties and babysitting for my synapses not firing as they should this Sunday evening.

Thanks for calling me out on my incorrect prediction :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

For me it would have to be the Great Central Railway

• Like Like x 2
  19. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

How about North Wales Coastal between Chester and Llandudno with Stanier Black Fives and 8Fs. Lots of goods traffic, passenger and mail trains to Holyhead for the ferry to Ireland, and the Llandudno branch for summer excursion traffic. Some nice scenery passing the coast and back when the line was four tracked in many places (nowadays the line is mostly double tracked). Also would be a good route allowing steam locos to get up to speed.

Otherwise I would suggest Bristol to Cardiff with Severn Tunnel banking operations, or Lancaster to Barrow-in-Furness past the southern end of the Lake district. Settle to Carlisle could be good too, but maybe just Appleby to Settle since the bit between Appleby and Carlisle is quite flat and featureless.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I would like to see a TSW2 version of the TS Isle of Wight Network. You could start with the Terrier, and add the O2 later. The late 1930's would be a good period, offering plenty of freight and passenger duties plus many sidings for shunting.

• Like Like x 3
  21. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the 2003 steam era personally.
    upload_2021-7-5_19-55-35.png

• Like Like x 6
  22. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think for me a TSW version Riviera in the 50's. It is an iconic stretch of line, the Newton Abbott to Kingswear section has some challenging gradients, you can get some fast running between Newton Abbott and Exeter. On a summer Saturday in the 50's and early 60's it was a very busy stretch of line, with trains often queued up at signals along the Dawlish sea wall.

Also, you have some branch line options, the Brixham branch or maybe the Moretonhampstead or Exe Valley lines to run an auto train on if they release one as DLC.

This route would have a lot of potential DLC.

I just hope that if we get a period route, DTG don't just provide a rake of mark 1 carriages as has happened in the past, although the TS1 version of the route had a good selection.

• Like Like x 2
  23. jolojonasgames

Personally I'd like the route to perhaps be set a little earlier so Chocolate/Cream GWR rolling stock can be included

• Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would be happy with either to be honest.

However, a late 50's/early 60's version could also see the early Warships and some of the other interesting diesel hydraulics. Plus I think in a way there was more interest then with the possibility of having blood and custard and maroon carriages alongside the chocolate and cream mark 1's used on the named expresses.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Clumsy Pacer

This is the most early 2000s screenshot I've ever seen :D

• Like Like x 3
  26. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

My favourite TS routes are Settle to Carlile, thw Woodhead Line and the Falmouth Branchline, so I'm hoping to se at least one of them in TSW. I'd also love any route with German steam engines.

27. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  28. jolojonasgames

I have now made a suggestion for that. I also included the line to Plymouth. Hope you like it!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

DTG prioritize salability over capability, there's lots of five mile terminal and heritage routes that they could likely do easily within the time they give themselves. But they're usually pretty obscure, and don't have the flexibility that longer main line routes provide. Thus DTG tries to things like the HST & LGV in quickly, even if it would honestly be more sensible to wait until longer routes were doable. I don't see DTG being any different towards steam.

Related to that DTG have said routes are more profitable as they sell better, seeing as they don't require anything but the base game. I highly doubt they're gonna want to make they're first steam product be something which requires a bloody route for that reason. They're gonna want to get their costs back from developing all this steam tech, and doing something like a addon for Somerset isn't gonna make as much money for that reason.

Furthermore they really don't seem to future proof their routes, Adam mentioned that they had trouble adding freight content to Rapid Transit as a lot of the trackage for it was scenery only. All those steam facilities on WSR are gonna be in the same boat, and without those they can't add steam to the route. So you need to update the route, that ain't simple to do as shown with how long preserved collection's taken.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

MeshTools have already worked on TSW, so perhaps Maerdy?

And going back in time to the old days of TS, I'd like to see the Granfield Branch or Somerset and Dorset.

HTML:
    <obligatory suggestion>And of course Phorum Peninsula</obligatory suggestion>

• Like Like x 2
  31. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I get the feeling Spirit of Steam will be a bundle like Rush Hour.
    I think for the UK, Settle - Carlisle could be a good option, for German if it isn't the Prussian one you have suggested I would be surprised, it sounds like such a wonderful route.
    As for America I don't know.

• Like Like x 2
  32. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Anything around the lake district/cumbria. Maybe a scenario carting Dolly Blue? :)

• Like Like x 2
  33. jolojonasgames

Totally agree, it will probably be a bundle. As for Settle - Carlisle, that could be good, but Riviera in the '50s is also a strong contender I think.

That's great to hear! Though personally I think DTG might go with a '50s DB route instead, as I do have a feeling that would be slightly more popular with the wider audience (i.e. the ones that aren't that into German steam). However, I would absolutely love that route to come as the historical significance and rolling stock make it on of the moat interesting routes for me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  34. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about the Essex valley railroad during the New Haven RR era pre Heritage Railroad 1971-present. If DTG decided to make that one as a Steam Heritage RR then the starting locomotive is a 1989 build SY 2-8-2 steam locomotive 3025

For a Russian steam era route they can do Khasan/Tumangang-Ussuriysk Railway pre Korean War era. that way if players are bored with operating American and German steam locomotives then they can try a Russian Steam locomotive the FD 2-10-2 and the YE 2-10-0 locomotives some of that class are in the United States. Making the Russian YE 2-10-0 steam locomotives being capable of operating both American and Russian steam routes. However the couplers are going to be different from what we are used to the Buffers and Chains and AAR Coupler. Because Russian locomotives use SA-3 coupler which is compatible with DB BR189 C-Akv couplers and their track is 1.520m.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Sorry for being stupid but what's MeshTools & Maerdy?

36. Clumsy Pacer

"Maerdy" refers to 2 small TS1 DLCs set in a colliery in Wales, called Memories of Maerdy and Return to Maerdy (the latter being abit more fleshed out and includes a battery loco. Both include the J94 though).
    MeshTools are the people who made them, along with the original Class 50, some steam locos and wagon packs. They've worked with DTG as a 2nd party for a while now.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Wolfovizer

Thanks for that info :)

38. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

They also worked on the Class 33 for TSW (I think they did the physics).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

I think the first steam route is likely to be something a kin to the GWR Falmouth branchline, something relatively simple, locowise, but hopefully with plenty to do. I always thought The (Port Road) Western Lines of Scotland was a great route on TS, but they dont do such mammoth routes on TSW. A route focussed on Whitby, (North Yorkshire coast) would be interesting - 4 lines went there and some great scenery to boot. Any trans-pennine route (a steam version of the one we have now, for instance) would be terrific and challenging, My money is on a GWR branchline though, which would be no bad thing, loads of reference material out there!

• Like Like x 3
  40. Wolfovizer

I hope your right about GWR its what got me into trains. I would love a Scottish route as well in the future :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

you have the old cinder line there which is good scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Bluebell Railway

43. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Anything N&W for the USA