Huge Tsc Update Due 27/4/23

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nwp1, Apr 15, 2023.

1. chrisreb

chrisreb Member

2. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

No have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X so there is no inbuild one ;) Its also the case when i turn of Antialiasing

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

It’s not supposed to be a performance update.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gee

gee Member

5. Xander1986

That is what i have test it for people they didn't have acces to their pc ;)

6. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

For me the frame rate have been doubled in most cases. But the increase in performance is very system depended, some people only report a 10% increase while others don't notice any difference. I think TS still runs better on old systems than new ones. I would say that memory and CPU gives the most impact on framerate, and it is the base clock on a single core that matters since it can't use more than one (?).

Playing in 64-bit is for me better than 64-bit + DX12.

7. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I run mine at 4k 60fps capped, with light anti-aliasing turned on and generally get 30 - 45 fps in dense and busy map areas, and 60 fps flat out in the countryside. I don't really notice any jaggies in motion at 4k. And I'm only running a GTX 1080 with a i-7700k overclocked to 5GHz.

60fps.jpg

Also, just to see what it'd run at uncapped, here's a cab view at 73fps, which for my quite old hardware is pretty decent:

73fps.jpg

As an aside, I've begun the process of designing alternative solutions for the affected features of the MPV though even after the update it is fully driveable, all instruments and displays work including gsm-r, apu, jetter, spray, op touch-screen etc. Using the source LUA's made no difference to the outcome. Shouldn't take too long to whip something up though.

Also, with the DX12 Exp. build I get 15 fps whereas straight 64-bit gives me 47 fps in the same place with the same units.

64-bit
    47fps.jpg

DX12 Experimental
    dx12exp.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  8. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

So, having finally had time to test properly (DX12 64-bit)
    -Game seems to load more quickly
    -Definitely runs smoother
    -Starting image seems sharper?
    -Sound seems weaker, some sounds seem weird?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I've found the Three Country Corner image to be the cause of menu freeze

It is 243x144 - seems the menu has no issues with downscaling but the image must have a minimum width of 256 pixels.

Patch attached - fixed the menu issue for me

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I can start the game and go in to Build the Edit a route or Scenarios and Edit one of them and start the Scenario.

I also went thru all the image.png files and resized them to 512x 512 or less but if I try opening a Scenario from any od the Drive menu options that is not the route first shown then the game hangs and its Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out
    Tried all of those with no success.

11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

512x512? That's quadratic, 16:9 is required. Again, image format:

256 x 144
    or
    512 x 288

24bit
    non-interlaced
    PNG

name MUST be image.png

TrainSim-Steve Will an update fix this issue or do we need to rework all preview images? The old version was eating everything - due to this developers did not apply standards

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That is also what DTG Support said a number of hours ago along with a number of other routes and locos
    https://dovetailgames.freshdesk.com...99-how-to-fix-the-tsc-menu-crash-after-update

I would think if a file was not present then it would just give the missing item graphic - circle with a diagonal line?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I should have said I reduced the width to a minimum of 512 pixles and kept the aspect ratio.
    The name of each file was image.png before my edit and it still is.

Also check the files for the Riesa routes - one of those was oversized

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Seems you can also use bigger resolutions - but the two resolutions I gave are safe to use.

My career menu is fixed - working through the Standard tab... Wycombe Branch was bad... a lot of work still.

A freeze on this page - who's the suspect?

21.png

15. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

Its not the woodhead line or Isle of Wight- I checked that. My Wycombe was an interlaced .png so check that first

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xander1986

The game isn't not running on DX12 but only the update yersterday.... If you have Rivaturner it says D3D9 what means DX9 is active. So the whole shortcut doesn't run the right gamemode.

17. 5cip

5cip Active Member

with dx 12 i have only stutter thats weird i have to look on it

18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The Workshop Wycombe Branch needed fixing.

For Wycombe Railway and Joint Line Plus, fix is already provided here:
    http://www.pgdl.co.uk/vpris/

This fixed the page I've posted :)

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

TrainSim-Steve

I am concerned because of the official guide to fixing this.

You are telling people to extract their .ap files whilst it is enough to create a RouteInformation\image.png next to the .ap?

I can see a lot of trouble coming up with this. How long do we have to bear with this Scaleform menu system? Any plans?

When the next update arrives, Steam will likely trigger a verification as all .aps are modified / extracted.

I know how to handle this, but it might be very difficult for players who don't have the skills to manipulate their files.

• Like Like x 4
  20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I could not get past the first page when doing a Quick Drive
    I corrected the files for
    Albula Line, Allgaubahn, Amstetten - Klienreifling, Albergbahn, Ay Valley, Bahnstrecke Leipzig - Dresden, Bahnstrecke Riesa - Dresden, Bahnstrecke Strasbourg - Karlsruhe and Berlin - Leipzig but it still hangs there.

21. Xander1986

I have here a picture of my screen that the game doesn't run DX12
    You see in the picture in red "D3D9" what means DX9
    [​IMG]

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just attempted to start the game in DX12 but that comes up with an error
    Screenshot (279).png

23. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Same here. It's just using DX9 as normal.

24. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I’m probably wrong, but I don’t believe it’s DX12 in the same way MSFS uses DX12. I understood it was some DX9 to DX12 conversion, which might explain why riva is reporting 9.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Pookeyhead

It seems to make absolutely no difference to anything... at all. If it was being converted to DX12, then the GPU should be reporting it's using DX12. It shows D3D9, and everything is utterly as it was. Also, I have ReShade set to use Railworks64.exe as a DX9 application, and that still works as normal as well. I can find no indication that anything has changed at all.

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The second post in this thread suggests Deleting D3D9.dll fixes the problem
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...pdate-feedback-dx12-experimental-build.69715/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Pookeyhead

28. Pookeyhead

OK.... menu freeze issue fixed here. Basically... just loaded in all thumbnails from routes on the frozen page into Photoshop. Made sure they were the correct size, then saved back over the original "image.png" files with no compression. All menus work as normal now. Game working as normal, with no apparent issues with anything.

29. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Gave DX12 a try and honestly I got worse framerate when loading up the Keihin-Tohoku Line, so I quicky gave up. Might still do some testing later on.

But the basic core update seems to gave some performance improvemens, which is nice. Though it's hard to tell, as the framerate can vary from 15 fps to 50 fps on the same route. But I think I might see some improvements.

As for issues, I can also report what others have said, that the 4 camera no longer follows the train, just remains stationary.

And on the Hidaka Main Line I have noticed that the parking lot decals are no longer on the ground, but float in the air. Has anyone noticed this on any other route?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Pookeyhead

Yeah, DX12 isn't really working yet. It was experimental after all, but it's just unplayable here.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

you must be the only one lol

32. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

That is the whole point of a EXPERIMENTAL version. They have made that pretty clear in release notes. Saying something is useless when they are using an experimental version to gather information for future updates is a bit harsh.

also what is your pc specifications of this decent quality pc would be interesting to see what you have to compare what others have and are getting.

33. Sproutmask

Sproutmask Active Member

On the PBC issue, if it is any help at all, I had a go at the Chat Moss scenario that comes with the MPV, and found that the PBC worked fine, including stopping and starting at a couple of signals, until about 15 minuts into the scenario. I was running at 60mph with speed climbing a little, so I braked a bit to avoid overspeeding, and at this point, the brakes became stuck on (according to the F3 HUD) 2%, whilst the throttle in max position read 98%. Engine RPM was stuck at 600, and I slowly lost speed regardless of throttle setting. I know you're working on fixes, so thought it may be useful to describe how I experienced the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Xander1986

That was more a warning for people they dindt know what they could expect. Not everyone have the time to sleep near the pc and wait until there is a bell goes of ready to turn on the pc ;)

35. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Your reply makes zero sense to your original moan of it is useless. Perhaps try reading changelogs and notes next time before jumping into install an experimental version of something before calling it useless.

36. Steve1408

Steve1408 New Member

Wycombe route, my favourite route, has interlaced/compressed PNG. Opened Image.PNG in image editor and saved as uncomtressed. Problem solved. Stainmore seems to have the same problem of freezing in main menu but haven't fixed yet.

37. Pookeyhead

Yes. This is the fix. I did this with all routes on any menu pages that caused the freeze, and now everything is working fine.

38. Kim Olesen

I wonder what ETA the fix from DTG has? Maybe an official can answer. If it’s within a week or so, i wont bother fixing images, since i also use the Vr101 as my main loco, and the afb is broken in that as well. Might as well wait till a fix for the briken dll comes as well.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  39. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I gave the BR 101 a quick run and although the AFB does not work the loco seems to operate correctly.
    So I will have to drive it "old style" until a fix appears

40. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problems seem to be with some of the Freeware Routes
    I removed everything not downloaded thru Steam and no problems with the routes in the Drive Menu.

Slowly reinstalling them and a few are still causing the crash/freeze.

41. Pookeyhead

I just noticed that the Vulkan API no longer works on the new 64bit update. Anyone else having the same issue?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Xander1986

That "useless" was a reaction on people they say it brings more FPS... It could be possible but that's more in relation to the earlier update on Thursday I guess... For me personally it was useless this update in anyway....

43. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

I do understand that people are in bad mood as evrything is clearly not "all right". Hope to see those fixes rapidly, mostly for the less straightforward problems.
    I fear that freewares not working actually may not get through however.
    Despite those quircks i m really glad that TSC is advancing. The stability gain is really here and should receive due praise as it was a chore to get a CTD on some "heavy" routes.

• Like Like x 1
  44. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

FPS is fine for me also something else i noticed the OHLE is now showing at Wembley on WCML south.

upload_2023-4-29_19-34-47.png

• Like Like x 3
  45. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

The update seems to have caused a massive issue with my CPU. The game is causing my new AMD 7800X3D CPU to run at 80 degrees in the menu screen. And that's with CPU usage under 10%. Something is seriously wrong (and it's not my CPU since it isn't doing this in any other game, also I'm not using DX12 experimental).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Try to lock the FPS at 60 or so, see if that helps. Might only affect the GPU..

47. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Buy your self at least a 500 GB SSD and connect via USB. Simply drag and drop your Railworks folder there, now you are backed up. If you are into modding and mess up you can simply drag and drop that file over to your installation. You can even play TSC from your backup drive.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It is also an option to only backup the core files, which is quickly done - meaning everything except for Assets and Content folder.

I really think they should have used the Beta option on Steam, so people can decide which version they want to use for the time the issues with thumbnails, lua scripts and "4" camera are not resolved.

I've backed up the core files, so I can swap to the previous version if I like to.

Has anybody noticed what has changed in 3D weather, because all data\SilverLining files got updated?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  49. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

This is from Smokebox. Quote "
    The TSC update has broken the injectors on at least the Big Boy, and probably on the other locos too.
    Edit: I can confirm that the TSC update has broken the core code's exhaust injector functionality. It's doesn't have anything to do with the loco script or setup. The Big Boy correctly sets the two controllers ("ExhaustInjectorSteamOnOff" and "ExhaustInjectorWater") but the water level in the tender stays at 100% and no water enters the boiler.
    Edit: The live injectors are also broken. The script correctly sets "LiveInjectorSteamOnOff" and "LiveInjectorWater" but no water goes from the tender into the boiler."

• Like Like x 1
  50. Kim Olesen

No luck here with thumbnail fixing. My TS hangs as soon as i press the DRIVE button.

I renamed all image.png files to image.png.bak (a solution that has worked for most users on rail-sim.de, there is a patch that will do it)

So my problem must lie elsewhere.