Community Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Guides' started by DTG Natster, Aug 11, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

What helps you when you are playing Train Sim World 2?

Share your favourite Community Guides, Videos, Manuals and other helpful information in here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  2. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

breblimator has a nice guide to North American diesel DPU set up along with cold start instructions for the AC4400 here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7zeIn-Nshe7_bzqkd7hQg2QrV0G9xNvBevPoxTunA8/edit?usp=sharing

as well as a guide to TSW Synergies in German DLC here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W5-ueaP4-UmdhZMKpdH0yTADmY4gNyMw_dRNi86G57o/edit?usp=sharing

I also routinely refer to the TSW2 Starter’s Guide by Rudolf which is quite comprehensive and can be downloaded here:
    https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator/

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. rhysrobinson336

rhysrobinson336 Member

This is what I like to use for timetables for both TSW 2020 and TSW2. You can filter by almost any option such as a station on a route or by locomotive.

https://smtimetables.herokuapp.com/

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

German and Austrian signalling guide by PTGRail:

• Like Like x 6
  6. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

British signalling guide by PTGRail:

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  8. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

When learning safety systems, trial and error is often the best way because you gain experience on what to do when things go wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  10. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

For all German-speaking people, I can recommend TF-Ausbildung with loads of resources on German signals, safety systems, installations, etc.

http://www.tf-ausbildung.de/home.htm

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of people (including me), trying to explain how to set up multiple units for Sandpatch properly. This looks awesome, get the picture and put it on your desk for reference. Note, for other routes this may not always work. Clinchfield and Cane Creek have a slightly different setup procedure.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...grade-in-train-sim-world-2.39066/#post-350816

I cannot refer directly to the comment, but look for edimans as contributor.

He refers to this site:

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/guides/martins-sand-patch-grade-mu-guide

This juts looks a lit less beautiful ...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

• When learning safety systems, take it slow and add only one at a time, starting with DSD/SiFa/Alerter that is easy to manage and then add more advanced systems. Especially PZB can be daunting at first but is immensely rewarding to use properly.
    • With the increasing number of trains in TSW, try to keep a notebook with basic procedures, locations of knobs/buttons, and notes for each train for a quick reference. It can otherwise get overwhelming, especially when you drive multiple different trains in quick succession and/or haven't driven one in a while.
    • Scenario Planner is a great way of learning a new loco or route - you can set up a simple A to B scenario without the pressure of timetable, action point, medals, and other gamification systems. This is also a great way to complete "Jobs", TSW's version of collectibles. There are usually 100 collectibles per route.
    • When browsing the store of your choice, CAREFULLY READ THE DESCRIPTION for required items. Addon trains require ownership of their "home" route as well to be available for selection. Look for a note like this in the description (taken from Steam):
    upload_2021-8-12_12-3-5.png

• Like Like x 3
  13. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I've played some of the "getting started" tutorials in german language. This may help some to climb aboard a loco and learn to drive. I will update this post, whenever there is a new tutorial video:

Class 66:

BR 204:

Amtrak ACS-64:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  14. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

i got 2
    1. Dont underestimate the Loco Brake it acts as a great means of Controlling speed downhill.
    2. Take a slightly slower but stable speed when going uphill, it helps prevent over speeding.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I've made some videos that explain how to set up certain trains, and their safety systems, over on my YouTube Channel. I haven't made one of those videos in a while, but I plan to start up the series again when Boston Sprinter releases, giving a tutorial for the ACS-64/MBTA CTC-3/F40PH-3C, and going back to older trains, such as the Class 314 from Cathcart Circle, and more.

Here's one of them as a preview:

And here's the playlist in case you would like to see more of those 'Tutorial/Train Guide' videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAqMv_57u5iGx_tbVEAVXbRfVoP5aiDvz

• Like Like x 6
  16. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'd say using the dynamic brake is more realistic, but true, especially for the lower speed while going uphill

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I've made a PDF document explaining how to set up slow speed control for Cane Creek loading activities using the AC4400CW engine. How can I post it here?

18. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I've written several guides, most of which are on this forum. Expect similar documents for the upcoming TSW2 Boston to Providence route.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  19. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  20. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

In anticipation for the London-Brighton route, I have a small tip for getting a better view when driving the Class 377.

When playing on 'Classic' controls, if you select the 'left side panel' and then rotate the camera to the right (towards the windscreen) you get a better field of view. Especially helps if you play without the HUD for oncoming signals.

I had originally posted this a while back in the 'Off Topic' forum, but some might have missed. So, here seemed a good place to re-post.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

My advice to new players:

Lower your expectations, be prepared to be frustrated, never believe any promises DTG make in their promotional materials, and don't buy DLCs until around 6-9 months after release. If you're lucky the price will be more realistic by then and the game-breaking bugs might have been fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  22. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

My advice to new players:
    Don't follow this above advice.

• Keep your expectations realistic, but do prepare for something to happen.
    • Take 'promises' as promises, and just remember: they are subject to change.
    • Buy DLCs when you feel like, if you think the price is a bit too high, wait for a sale.
    • Just remember the prices are as they are so developers can be payed for making these routes, so don't complain about it either, just wait for a sale - if on PC (Steam) or PS these are very common.
    • Remember the game's a hobby: don't go buying everything because you can, or just for the sake of it, buy what you want, when you want, if you want.

• Like Like x 23
  23. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  25. KCRCRailway

KCRCRailway Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Manuals, but DTG can't be bothered to produce them.

• Like Like x 6
  27. LondoSpark

LondoSpark Member

One pretty cliche piece of advice that I would give is enjoy it. Make mistakes, do silly things and have fun - it's not real life and there are no lives on the line!

• Like Like x 11
  28. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I was gonna create a thread about this but it seems wasteful when I could just ask on here.

Is there any way to hide the AP display in the top right? I swear I've seen Matt do it on stream on a controller but I don't think he said which button. I'm on PS5.

29. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

ctrl 6, use Bluetooth keyboard if on console.

30. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Ah. So in other words you can't with just a controller. I take it it's not buried in the options somewhere? I don't believe I've seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. paul.pavlinovich

Sam reckons the survey wanted in game playable tutorials rather than manuals. I have to admit I fall into that category. Manuals are shelfware. Opened once, never used again. A printable signals and signs cheat sheet for each route would be nice though.

• Like Like x 6
  32. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

I don't understand a word of German unfortunately but I watched and was surprised to see the in-game tutorial for this loco. When using it on SEHS, you don't get this tutorial ... so where can I find it please? Also a similar video to this in English? Or Class 66 manual?

Thanks, guys.

33. mancunian#7861

OK I finally found this on YouTube - from the East Coastway route. Begs the question why isn't this included with SEHS for those like me who don't have that other route and are left floundering? It appears from this, although sadly he cut out the audio part at the crucial time, is to HOLD the automatic brake in the release position to charge the brakes before the train will move. DTG - don't you think this is kind of crucial advice players would need to know for SEHS the first time of playing/using this loco? So why wasn't it included?! Anyway hopefully this will help other players if, like me, they experience this problem.

34. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Because the Class 66 doesn‘t come with SEHS. If you buy SEHS there‘s no Class 66 there, it‘s only added if you own ECW. It‘s the same sort of layering system the German content uses.

• Like Like x 4
  35. mancunian#7861

Well maybe I have ECW then but I don't recall - unless it's the Eastbourne to Brighton route? I do have that but never driven the 66 as yet there but then I've only been playing the tutorials and scenarios so far. This was listed as the first timetable job after scenario 5 on SEHS. Anyway thanks, Lamplight. I'll go start a new thread for questions. I don't wish to stray away from help/hints etc here.

36. LastTrainToClarksville

I agree that this ought to be mentioned in the tutorial. I managed to figure it out by remembering that all brake pressure reduction keys usually have to be held down until the pressure reaches zero.

• Like Like x 1
  37. mancunian#7861

Yes, useful to remember that, LTC. Once bitten ... :)

38. paul.pavlinovich

I've made a tutorial on the safety systems for ACS-64 ATCS, ACSES and the alerter and how to drive with them.

• Helpful Helpful x 10
    • Like Like x 5
  39. LastTrainToClarksville

Lately, I find myself returning to previously completed scenarios and sessions. (Who says that nostalgia isn't what it used to be?) Yesterday, for example, I went back to "Cutting Closure" on the East Coastway route. After carefully following all of the opening instructions which, among other actions, require setting the brakes in both leading and trailing engines, the time came to advance the throttle, which resulted in very little movement even at the top "8" level. Rather than just give up (after all, I had successfully completed this activity previously), I clicked the "Restart" button. This time, a light on the "dashboard" caught my eye: it read "PASS" and this was a freight train. Oddly enough, I remembered not only that this is a matter of "brake timing", but also how to set it to "Freight". As a result, the throttle led to a respectable level of speed, although it still seemed slow for a train that included 2 locos and only 6 empty freight cars.
    This setting is not mentioned in the route's users' manual (yes--"Gloriosky, Sandy"--there is one), nor as far as I can recall is it noted in the loco's tutorials (one for each route in which it appears) or in any other scenario or session.
    If you find yourself in similar difficulty, try this setting. Meanwhile, I'll get to work preparing a guide to its use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

This video really helped me to weather my liveries ;D

41. paul.pavlinovich

There are lots of great little gems like this sprinkled through the game :).

Paul

42. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

Boston-providence collectibles. All 100 to get the respective trophy/achievement NEC BP-Job Done.

Isle of Wight Collectibles IOW: Pack Rat trophy/achievement

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. paul.pavlinovich

You found all of them? Well done you.

44. paul.pavlinovich

Mastering penalty brake stop recovery in the MTBA CTC3-C cab-car and FP40PH-3C tutorial

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. paul.pavlinovich

Mastering Mods in Train Sim World 2 - How to find, install and manage them

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Route Guide: Cathcart Circle Line. I take you through how to set up the train realistically, get it moving, and how to operate the route from Glasgow Central - Newton with the HUD off. Hopefully you enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. KCRCRailway

KCRCRailway Active Member

Good to see someone else doing the route guide, really useful (at least for some of us)

• Like Like x 3
  48. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

How do you start in your cab? I don't want to be running around looking for a train. I have just tried to use a route with the little shunter in the new German Route, apparently I started 34KM from the train, what am I supposed to do? When I see videos with the team, they always start in the cab. Pressing 1 does nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I think this is a bug. I have experienced the same issue with a few different services, both spawning me at a station far away from my service.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1