Sales Festival Of Rail 2023 Overview

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the info.....that does seem kinda short looking at Google Maps.....would the 158 and HST layer on Birmingham at all?

2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I suppose the 158 could work the ATW/TfW Birmingham International to Wales services, however the EMT HST model with its VP185 engine is completely unsuitable for Cross Country services.

The current would GWR HST model would be more suitable.

3. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info- seems like another odd route choice then, but reserving judgement until we know all the details...

4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Is there any substance to this info? 158 alone would be great.

5. D00B3RRY

D00B3RRY New Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this? Also it was 110mph north out of Leicester so it's quick.

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Don't mention the war...

• Like Like x 2
  8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's from the leaked summit stream. It's actually true

9. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't mention the war.

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it...

10. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

As a Leicester lad I'm really hoping it's true lol. Thank you l.

11. TeumessianFox

TeumessianFox Member

I was really hoping that 'Diesel Legends of GWR' was going to feature in the FoR2023 at some sort of discount but, I guess I'll just have to wait. Maybe it'll creep in there later in the year ...

12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG love leaking things

13. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

even tho it’s not the same eras, i wonder if we could have AI emt hsts at st pancras on sehs to make st pancras feel more alive

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

It was an unlisted video, DTG didnt leak it. Someone managed to find it whilst looking around their You Tube page.

• Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I don't see what the problem is. After all it's been over 500 years now and Dicky 3 was finally dug out of that car park. I think we can smooth the ruffled feathers by now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

spot on and for JD he accidentally spoiled the Niddertalbahn for us

17. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

driverwoods#1787 Do you think we will see the train on your user profile picture?

18. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I finally got the std Edition and Bremen-Oldenburg...and plan to migrate tomorrow, 170 GB download is running, 12 hours :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. rennekton#1349

For the us route, no. Maybe in a future njt route.

20. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Aren't we going to see NJT Trains as well on this line that is supposed to be the case, especially since NJT run on this Line as well? It doesn't make any sense not to get NJT Train at all since DTG already have the license for it FOR A LONG TIME Already, and for a new US Route to be released there should be AT Least two trainsets. NOT TO MENTION Amtrak Acela is A LOCAL DLC BY ITSELF, Also NJT and Amtrak Are ALL Terminated at NY Penn Station!!!! :|:(

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  21. rennekton#1349

Relax. There is a njt trainset with the us route, but it comes with multilevels, not single levels. The profile picture of driverwoods is a single level variant.

22. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Got LGV Méditerranée on the Steam sale as it was 80% off. Pretty fun route actually. Love the viaducts and the elevation changes, feels like a roller coaster on certain parts.

• Like Like x 3
  23. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Cause that would be crazy!!!!, Sorry i probably don't understand what you mean lol, :D;):)

24. rennekton#1349

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not lol

• Like Like x 1
  25. kobo

kobo Active Member

I'm trying not to take what you say seriously until the supposed leak that i did not see comes official tomorrow. However, based on this comment, I think you just confirmed what the US route is. If this isn't a false comment to throw off what the actual US route is, I for one am very excited for finally a US route that has NJT equipment on it.

26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

There have been screenshots, it is more likely than any of the other leaks (barring the Acela).

27. kobo

kobo Active Member

well i was at work when the leak happened and when DTG squashed it. So I haven't seen anything. I'll need to wait until tomorrow. BTW, i meant to ask, is tomorrow's schedule in error? i was re-reading the festival of rail post, and tomorrow's schedule is showing the same entry 3 times before the summit segment. Is that a mistake?

28. rennekton#1349

I was lucky enough to be able to see the whole video before it got taken down so I know what's coming and all that. In terms of the same thing 3 times, it's a 3up challenge where they will drive a particular service a particular way or they get disqualified basically. So they will be on Birmingham cross city driving hudless without safety systems but from the rear cab

29. kobo

kobo Active Member

that sounds scary. driving hudless i mean. As for what was said about tomorrow's announcements. Someone earlier in the thread tossed out the possibility of NJT Raritan valley line coming. I personally have my doubts on that. While I would LOVE to see that line made for tsw3, mostly because i work on that line daily and i'm biased, given they just announced the acela, i really doubt they would then shift to a line that doesn't utilize amtrak equipment at all. Now I'm not asking you to tell us what's coming, I will patiently wait for tomorrow. But, my final prediction before tomorrow, given there have been strong hints we will find out what the US route is, the NEC from NYC to Philadelphia, with Acela, Sprinter, and NJT equipment on said route.

As for the video that you said got taken down, I presume DTG will put it up again tomorrow when they intended to put it up. At least this time, it's a leak I wasn't able to see, so with any luck I'll be very surprised to see what we get. I will be watching live tomorrow too since I'll be off.

30. rennekton#1349

With practice and paying attention to landmarks, you'll be able to play hudless. Once you're able to do it, will feel very rewarding. Of course not required and not everyone can do it.

31. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

• Like Like x 1
  32. driverwoods#1787

You mean the Arrow III and the NJ Transit route NEC line it runs there although the Comet V MLV III express. 15:25 New Brunswick to NY Penn is express from New Brunswick to Newark Airport then Local from there to NY Penn Station

33. kobo

kobo Active Member

Those arrow 3 MU units are a pain. For anyone who hasn't ridden them recently, they are getting worse by the day. The faster they get replaced, the better. Hearsay from my coworkers though, given i haven't worked on one in about 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  34. driverwoods#1787

SEPTA ACS-64 can be made by Reskining ACS-64 600-670 into 901-915
    That's an EMU the Arrow III built in 1977-1979

35. driverwoods#1787

Acela goes to Boston after NY Penn Station

36. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about them and if they were to be replaced these will be a power car of MLV III with the ability of MLV I-II cab cars controlling them. My complaint with the arrow III is the lack of Automatic Train Announcements and you need to use the end doors to get out of them. the center doors are also used however southbound at New Brunswick you need to use the trapdoor to leave

37. driverwoods#1787

What station do you actually use the Raritan Valley Line mine are High Bridge Annandale (I-78 exits 16-18) Raritan (I-78 Exit 18 US-22 East & I-287 Exits 13-17) Plainfield (I-78 Exits 36-40). 40 minutes from Newark Penn Station you are still a Plainfield on the other hand that duration on the electric Northeast Corridor line you are already somewhere at Metropark or Metuchen assuming you got an Express out of New York Penn. RVL trains get Priority over NEC Line at Hunter Interlocking towards NY Penn.

38. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

no way Really :o:D, I did not know that. Do you think we might see them add the extension to Boston?

• Like Like x 1
  39. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

The only rolling stock we don't have for Amtrak is the Baggage Car, sleeper, mail, and dining coach which I wonder if they are going to add to this upcoming USA Route as well Hhmm? :cool:

40. rennekton#1349

Also missing the aem7 and hhp8. Maybe a p32 even lol

41. rennekton#1349

I feel like they would no new york to new haven as one route and possibly new haven to providence. In the future could also see washington to baltimore and baltimore to philadelphia. Idk how they would devide it up honestly

42. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

We have ALOT more missing than that. ALOT

Amfleet II's
    Viewliner's (Baggage, Baggage Dorm, Diner, Sleeper)
    Superliner I's and II's (Transition, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach Baggage)
    Auto Train Autorack
    Horizon (Coach & Diner)
    California & Surfliner Cars
    Siemens Venture

This doesn't even cover the older "Heritage Fleet"

• Like Like x 4
  43. driverwoods#1787

You are correct and stand on Boston Providence during the late nights when the power is shut off you will see a Twilight Shorliner trains 65-67 Service comprised of Viewliner II Sleeper Baggage Car coupled to Amfleet I P42DC lead rear ACS-64 remember the driver has to get out from the acs-64 and run P42DC since the late night hours of Boston Providence have a routine power shut off occurring for wire maintenance

44. driverwoods#1787

You would do it as something like this Washington to Baltimore Baltimore to Trenton basically the American version of Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg Kassel Würzburg section.

• Like Like x 1
  45. OldVern

Was toying with getting this but always put off by only two stations, very quick run and reports of less than accurate South of France scenery depiction. However for a fiver I'm assuming it's worth a punt?

46. kobo

kobo Active Member

Your info is flawed a bit. RVL trains do not get priority at hunter. If any NEC train is running behind, they get priority. Doesn't matter if it's NJT or Amtrak, RVL trains have to wait. Sometimes trains I've worked have had to sit at hunter for almost 10 minutes waiting for trains, one time because an acela left NYP late, and amtrak's dispatcher needed to keep the tracks clear to let it go first. To my understanding, Amtrak gets fined a hefty sum by washington if acela's arrive at their final terminal late, whether it be Washington DC, NYP, or Boston.

I don't want to start an argument on who's info is more accurate here. I've worked for NJT for 10 years, all of them on the trains, and about 6 years exclusively RVL. Based on observations and experience, I have a pretty good idea of how the operations are run. Sometimes decisions made are awful and there's nothing I can do about it, but that's how it runs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

If you're on PC and get the mod that changes the ballast to be more light grayish, that helps with the overall feel of the route a lot! While the scenery is not flawless, it does use plenty of unique assets - mostly the city buildings and the different fields/vineyards really give it that mediterrian feel.

I do wish it was longer, but for 6 euros it is really fun and I think worth it, even if it will get boring due to the low variety quicky.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. OldVern

Thanks Dino. Sounds like a good route for a quick blast before bedtime. Will add it to my collection later.

Just grabbed that and Arosa, which I think leaves the only routes absent from my collection, Rapid Transit (maybe if it's on sale for £5), LIRR (another £5 jobbie) and Lubeck which is just another identikit German plains commuter run.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  49. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'd definitely say go for it! It's always been my favourite non British route, however I appear to be in the minority with my love for the route.

Edit: Never mind, just saw above. Hope you like it nonetheless.

50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The AEM-7 has been retired for five years; the only HHP-8s still in service are with MARC. The ACS-64 replaced them both in Amtrak service over the course of 2017.