Route France - Rer D South : Villeneuve (or Gare De Lyon) - Melun/malesherbes Via Corbeil Essonnes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ElBriseto, Oct 1, 2026 at 10:01 AM.

  1. ElBriseto

    ElBriseto Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2024
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    662
    After that I'll have another idea for french route, the last one I promise (maybe).

    At first I wanted to start to Juvisy (which is a terminus for Melun and Malesherbes trains) but if a second route has been suggested or even implemented, which is Creil - Melun via Combs without Corbeil Essonnes I thought it was a shame to forget Vigneux-sur-Seine station which is between Juvisy and Villeneuve Saint Georges. So the line will start at Villeneuve Saint Georges where the two principal branches separate even though it's strange because Villeneuve is not a terminus (it only adds 5 km more from Juvisy, it's not much).

    The RER D South line on the Malesherbes/ Corbeil Essonnes branch + Shuttle between Melun and Corbeil Essonnes, it might seem like a strange choice, given that when we think of the RER D, we mostly think of the section that passes through Paris. But we mustn't forget that the RER D is an extremely long line (197 km), so it has to be cut, unless one day DTG/Third Party team do that but I'm not entirely convinced. Besides, I think it's a nice change to choose the section that isn't in Paris. :D

    I chose this branch of the RER D because, firstly, it's one of the trains I'll be presenting later, and secondly, it offers a pleasant journey, a welcome change from the RER that typically runs through urbans areas.

    The section Melun - Corbeil Essonnes/Melun Branch is magnificent because you drive along the Seine with lots of greenery and stops in small towns here and there. It's hard to believe that we're actually on the RER D personally, when I think RER in general I think the Parisian suburbs with lots of buildings, roads, and a very urbanized feel—in short, a suburban town but but that's not the case at Malesherbes and Melun Branch; on the contrary, we're as close to nature as possible, which feels strange for a suburbanite like me.

    The Malesherbes branch is simply magnificent. Plains, fields, it really feels like we're in the countryside unlike Melun branch where you can see some houses, there are places on the Malesherbes branch where it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. There's also the fact that the stations are often 5-6 km apart where it's usually 2-3 km on the RER D (and RER in general) . That's why the branch is so long : 44km for 9 stations, where Melun branches : there are 9 stations too for 24 km almost half.

    What is the scenary between Villeneuve and Corbeil? It's urban between Villeneuve and Corbeil Essonnes which makes a good mix urban and rural.

    Fun fact : The RER D is the only RER line that goes beyond the Ile-de-France region ; Malesherbes being in Centre Val de Loire , there is also north of the RER D : Creil, Chantilly Gouvieux, Orry La Ville Coye and La Borne Branche who are in Oise region.


    There is also the very important fact that it is not a linear line (unlike the Creil - Melun route via Combs who is a linear but it's a good route but linear) with two ways of doing Juvisy - Corbeil Essonnes (via Evry Courcouronnes said by the "Plateau" or Ris Orangis said by the "Vallée") and also two branches (to Melun or Malesherbes) and all this with a mix of old trains that no longer exist today and current train at least during the period I am going to suggest. :love:

    Now let's introduce the length, train, and service : Villeneuve - Melun/Malesherbes route is 89 km/55 mi, it's a two track electrified route with two branches and 30 stations. With 30 stations, it's more feasible than my RER B suggestion with a 9 km difference but we're forgetting about the overground-underground mix and unfortunately and unlike the RER B, it's not an end-to-end route for trains that go beyond Villeneuve.
    Period : 2012-2018 before Regio2N
    IMG_20260930_220138 (2).png
    I used this site for the map because I was too lazy to use photo editing software (not that I don't know how to use it, just laziness).

    The trains that pass through the Plateau are mostly long-distance trains originating from or destined for Gare de Lyon and other termini further north. And for the Vallée , these are the small shuttle trains that start or finish at Juvisy.

    And that's just 89 km. For those who don't know anything about the RER D, here are the full 197 km of the line :
    RER_Paris_plan_ligne_D2024.svg (1).png
    Yes it's big, it's not the longest RER line for nothing. :o

    Rollings stocks :

    - The most iconic train family of Parisian suburban trains : the Z2N precisely with as the first suggested train: Z 20500 a dual-voltage train (1.5 kV DC and 25kV 50Hz AC), it can be a 4-car or 5-car vehicle (with or not one VB2N trailer) , which was used and always used but less than before almost everywhere on the the Parisian commuter train on other lines and even beyond with the TER Nord Pas De Calais which used it (Z 92050)
    OIP-2206077276.jpg
    In Ile de France livery

    And personally, I love the sound of the engines when the train is stopped and when the train starts up. :love:


    Sound of engines at 1:30 - 1:40 (Watch your ears and lower the volume I didn't expect it to be so strong , I hurt now...:( but I love it:love:..the sound I love the sound I precise, ok? ) :


    Departure sound :


    - Next, Z 5600s (Z2N too) which were on the southern part of the RER D line only, since they can run underneath 1.5 kV DC. The northern part is at 25kV 50Hz AC so impossible to Z 5600 to run there. Today, they are only on the RER C and Line V which have all types of Z2N (Z 5600, Z 8800, Z 20500 and Z 20900).

    Moreover, it will be an advantage to have the Z 5600 and Z 20500 trains, as they could then be reused on other routes, and for the RER C line, we could add the last two Z2N trains and reuse the Z5600 and Z 20500 trains to have all Z2N without having to create all 4 at once. (Even though the Z5600 and Z8800 are very similar in themselves, with very few visual differences, the same applies to the Z20500 and Z20900)
    Of course, it's a Z2N like the Z 20500 so the two trains can be coupled together for passengers services, however they will necessarily terminate at Gare de Lyon because, as I said, the Z 5600s cannot go north of the line.
    OIP-202274772.jpg
    In Transilien livery


    There were two sub-variants for this train : the normal Z 5600 (4 cars) used for short journeys and the Z 5600 Evolys, Z 5600s with two VB2N trailers in addition, which transform them into a 6-car train for long journeys.

    And the reason I thought of this route....

    - Z 5300 or known as P'tit Gris (Little Grey in English)... or even cans due to the fact that it is made of stainless steel without paint, so it retains the basic grey color, this nickname is also given to the Z 6100. Z5300 were on the RER D line from 1972 to 2018 , 46 years old of loyal services.
    OIP-2556738202.jpg

    As the Z 5600s, they only ran on the southern section because they only handled the 1.5 kV route.

    Service :
    Please note that the times are approximate and because I couldn't find the exact time at this period, so I'm using today's journey time. But I think the journey time in 2012-2018 shouldn't be so different from today (I hope).

    - Z 5300 : Juvisy/Corbeil Essonnes - Melun via Évry Courcouronnes : 50 min start to Juvisy and 30 min start to Corbeil Essonnes
    Even though it's a shuttle, it goes through the plateau because it was to help the Z2N trains when there was "a gap" in the timetable and avoid saturating the Z2N towards Paris.

    - Z 5600 and Z 20500 :
    Juvisy - Melun via Evry Courcouronnes or Ris Orangis : 50 min

    Corbeil Essonnes - Malesherbes : 42min

    (RER D North or/and Gare de Lyon -) Villeneuve-Saint-Georges - Melun/Malesherbes/Corbeil Essonnes via Evry Courcouronnes : 55 min, 1h10, 27 min in order

    IA :
    - Z 5600 and Z 20500 at Juvisy for RER C , at Villeneuve Saint Georges for RER D (to Melun via Combs la Ville or to RER D North) and non stop service at Villeneuve Saint Georges for Line R

    - Z 5300, Z 5600 and Z 20500 at Melun for RER D via Combs la Ville and Line R

    Possible Extension :
    Gare de Lyon - Villeneuve Saint Georges (+14km/9mi) so 103km/64 mi in total with new 5 stations, that would make a big route with a logical terminus and with more services for the two Z2N. Moreover, it will create a mix of urban (more urban areas with the extension) and provincial/rural routes, like my previous suggestion with the RER B and if a second route/extension is ever built between Creil and Melun via Combs la Ville, the stations could be reused but I don't know if 103 km is too big or not, I wonder what you think about it.

    New Stations :
    Gare de Lyon Underground (Terminus for Z 5600)
    Maisons-Alfort-Alfortville
    Le Vert de Maisons
    Créteil Pompadour or Villeneuve Prairie
    (if before december 2013)
    Villeneuve Triage
    Villeneuve Saint Georges

    That would add 20 minutes to the journey time.

    New IA :
    - TGV visible between Gare de Lyon (Overground) not necessarily to be modeled and Creteil Pompadour where they will branch off towards the LGV.

    Cab Ride (even they are Regio2N trains except for the first one) :

    Villeneuve-Saint-Georges (at 40:32) to Corbeil Essonnes via le Plateau/Évry Courcouronnes


    Juvisy to Melun via la Valée/Ris Orangis


    Juvisy to Malesherbes via la Valée/Ris Orangis


    My others suggestions :

    RER B
    Nantes - Les Sables d'Olonne
    Tram Train de l'ouest lyonnais
    Ligne De Tende (Nice - Tende)
    Saint Lazare - La Verrière/Versailles Rive Droite
    Lyon Metropolitan 2020
    Ligne De Hirondelles (Andelot - Saint Claude)
    One day we will have our Holy Grail

    If I've made a mistake, given how long I've written this (I let my love for the Z2N get a little too carried away), please tell me. ;)
     
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2026 at 12:13 PM
    • Like Like x 1

Share This Page