Linke Rheinstrecke Preview - 19:00 Utc - Question Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, Mar 7, 2023.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That would explain the use of the old DB logo in gray

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Apart from me wishing they had gone back to 1982!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I was considering that as well. All of the talk about having to build up a library of older rolling stock before going further back, as was done with BRO before the Rheinstrecke, might hint at that.

However, if they purposely backdated the 103 too much, then why does she have an EBuLa screen? That should not even be present in 1997, strictly speaking, and is exponentially more inaccurate for a 70s 103.

I can’t make heads or tails of their decisions regarding the 103.

4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

You might have hit the nail on with this one. It will simply layer further into the past, though they will need older rolling stock, these Orientrot coaches can't go much further into the past.

5. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Yes, the EBuLa does not fit. But it keeps another hope of mine my up that maybe, just maybe, DTG is actually still considering to develop one for TSW at some point. At least all locos have one installed, until now…

In the end there may not be another reason but that the representation we see of the 103 was simply the easiest way to model and research what was needed. There were so many different variations of this loco throughout the decades. I, for one, are happy that we are getting one at all! I think everyone of us is prioritising different things and we will never get something that everyone wants. Personally, I would have liked to see a representation of a later build, with the bigger cab, however, I don’t mind the skirts at all, I do actually like the optics much better, this way, well knowing that they did not drive around with them any more.

Still looking forward to the route, even though I will probably not have the time to pick it up next week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

This would be where an interregio DLC would come in handy:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

They were originally built in the late 1970s, so they're just a facelift away.

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Getting the 103 has long been a dream of mine. I even posted a suggestion for it a long time ago - something which I rarely do and only for select things I really want.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

exactly, so they can't be just a layer like the 103

10. solicitr

If DTG take the 103 back into the Bundesbahn era, I'm sure it will be as a TEE with all the appropriate (new) coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Watching the stream now. I don’t know if it was the quality of the stream, but there seemed to be a lack of texture on a lot of the buildings and the tracks.

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Also an awful lot of ‘popping in’ quite close to the players view (trees, shadows, details on the trains).

13. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Beware this version is a dev build with a lot of extra rendering and this is not present the release version

• Like Like x 1
  14. Xander1986

A small extra in the timetable I saw that the 110 is used to drive D-züge! The Amsterdam Austria Ski train for example. I can only think this means a 110 with the IC coaches :love:

15. solicitr

The Durchgangszüge were never ICs. They weren‘t even F-Züge. They were in fact the predecessors of the Interregios, although they overlapped as the latter were phased in and the former phased out.

16. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I also believe the term D-zug was retained for nightly long distance trains (often with couchette couches and even full sleeping coaches) for quite a while after practically all daytime D-züge were replaced by InterRegios.

The coaches used on most D-züge, which were mostly m-Wagen (also named UIC-x Wagen), which would later be rebuilt intensively with all new interiors into the InterRegio coaches. Later InterRegio coaches were also converted from East-German (DR) UIC-z Wagen. It is on these UIC-z Wagen that the IR and later IC cab cars are based, while the IC dining coaches currently in use are ex-InterRegio coaches converted from the West-German UIC-x Wagen.

This also explains why it is very time intensive to model both the West-German IR coaches (which were most on the western routes) and the IC BordBistro that is part of these, the IC cab car which is based on the East-German UIC-z Wagen converted for IR use and the 1st and 2nd class IC coaches which are mostly Eurofima coaches from the '70s (and are the ones we have in game). Hopefully we will see increased variety in this as time goes on though, with an IR expansion pack with the UIC-x based IR coaches (including a 1st class/restaurant composite) for LFR (see my more detailed suggestion here). Then perhaps on a later '90s route we'll see the UIC-z based IR coaches and cab car aswell, with a new IC add on that enhances the current IC formations with a BordBistro and cab car being more sensible and likely after that.

Sorry, I kinda sidetracked there :)

17. solicitr

The "middle tier" of DB services has always been sort of the odd child. The RBs and REs and their predecessors have always been straightforward, as also (mostly) the luxury expresses. But it's never been very clear how to define the province of the D-Züge/InterRegios/InterRegio Expresses/InterCity 2's, except that they fall in between the other two groups.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jolojonasgames

The InterRegio was hecking confusing for example. It was long distance, but not high speed except sometimes when it did go 200 km/h. It was meant to be quite comfortable, but didn't have aircon, even when the lower placed REs and RBs slowly started getting it in the mid 90s with new Dostos and EMUs. It stopped at bigger and smaller stations, but not the smallest stations except those that were somewhat busy due to tourism sometimes. It mostly used longer winding routes equipped for slower speeds, but sometimes cut off sections on newer rail lines. They were strange and seemingly random, which for some reason made them very useful as they connected many places that would logically require a change or more (which means standing around for at least 25 min on a desolate station in Germany), but still had travellers between them. And because the IR wasn't all that logical, it of course offerd a (nearly) direct service, making it very convenient.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Xander1986

I have never written that I talk about a IC... The D Zug was a night service between Amsterdam and Austria. Exemple... D217 Amsterdam Klagenfurt. I only mentioned that in TSW this service is running with IC Coaches.

https://www.fernbahn.de/datenbank/suche/?zug_id=19900100217

I grow up in this time and I have used some services from Holland to Germany. I live near Utrecht so I have seen them very often.

The EC services from Amsterdam to Basel and Zurich/Chur are also in the game but that part of services is fully correct.

20. solicitr

Ah, ok. I see. Yes, the D code was retained for night trains, long after the original D-Züge had stopped running. Interestingly, the Amstelland ran from Amsterdam to Berlin as D341, but in the reverse direction as IR340.

• Like Like x 2
  21. jolojonasgames

I do have to add to this that the stream also showed the n-Wagen (Karslruher Kopf) cab car also operates D-züge in the timetable. This would lead me to suspect the 110 doesn't haul IC coaches but n-Wagen. However, there seemed to be less cab car D train services than BR 110 cab car services, so maybe a few of them are with IC coaches. We'll know soon enough :).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Xander1986

Ah yeah that's strange services pattern than. n-wagen for me are more off than IC coaches.

23. Xander1986

I guess in the D-zug are sleeper wagons and the IR doesn't have them.

• Like Like x 1
  24. solicitr

A big gap in passenger rolling stock that DTG are going to have to address is the lack of any form of m-Wagen, which were the backbone of the Bundesbahn's passenger service. Up until now, with modern routes, they have been able to use Dostos for everything.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Xander1986

That's true for me the IC wagons are more set in the DZuge and Silberlingen are a no go in reality. But noting rare in Germany... Sometimes they have some Silberlingen in fern Zuge. but not IC... More in D Zuge or other rare services

26. solicitr

The Silberlinge were really uncomfortable over any distance. Even DB realized this (this is back in my day, ca 1970)- if there weren't enough m-Wagen to make up a D-zug, they might grab a blue 1st Class coach off an F consist, and tack on old Umbaus, rather than make people spend four hours on those n-Wagen seats (with one very cramped little toilet). Actually, the Umbaus were a little musty, but very comfortable except on really hot days, and Germany doesn't get many of those.

27. jolojonasgames

Yeah, I had a long discussion about this in another thread, and I agree with your notion. I also think that Karlsruher Kopf cab cars on a D-zug are weird, I surely never say one like that. The cab cars weren't of any use on the international destinations of these nightly D-trains anyways.

Hopefully there are some D train services with the BR 110 that do use IC coaches (as it seems there are more D trains with the BR 110 than with the cab car, and one would expect an equal number if all were with n-Wagen consists. Meaning it is still possible that on the extra services the BR 110 has it hauls IC coaches), I'd certainly appreciate the variety. I'd also like to see the occasional BR 110 on an IR service (like quite rare, as these werent scheduled for IR workings, but did replace failed engines regularly).

• Like Like x 2
  28. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There were also D trains in the daytime, several running from Hoek Van Holland (now reduced to being a metro station) connecting out of the overnight boat from Harwich. Most well known probably the Holland Skandinavian Express running to/from Copenhagen. When used it in 1982 it was most emphatically not that comfortable being formed of the UIC stock I referenced above, second class was in BM232 coaches with the sparse plastic seats. The overnight Nord West Express fared better using DSB UIC stock which at least had proper upholstery and seats with a full backrest in the compartment. Really don't know how DB got away with providing such uncomfortable coaches for a journey of over 10 hours!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Xander1986

Yeah the boat trains are very nice of historical perspective. It was in the early stages a train for Passengers with a good income and I highly qualified live standard. Seems like the Orient Express period but in the late 90's the Skandinavien services was more a interrail low cost service like the now day winter Alpen Express. The other services are better seated and also better in sleeping. It was also I higher price range I guess. It's possible that was on purpose. The lower price services are for other passengers than the North West Express.

30. jolojonasgames

I actually rechecked this, and it seems like nearly all BR 110 hauled D train services have an opposite service with the Karlsruher Kopf cab car, meaning these are probably all operated with n-Wagen. The only one for which I didn't find a return service with the cab car was Dortmund-Klagenfurt, so perhaps this one will be operated with IC coaches. Hopefully we'll see an IR pack one day, with the IR pack also changing these services to m-Wagen, albeit in InterRegio colours, if this isn't changed before release. I'll add that detail to my suggestion for an InterRegio based passenger DLC for LFR.

• Like Like x 3
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

There are missing locomotives DB BR 141 knallfrosch 140 150 120.
    There are two versions of this white and green the other one is orange and cream which makes up the equivalent DBB IC DR Städteexpress. I have suggested them way back as part of the legends of East Germany