Nahverkehr Dresden Freight Timetable Explained

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cwf.green, Nov 20, 2021.

1. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

As you by now know, with the release of the Meißen branch TrainSim-Matt did a major overhaul of the timetable for the route. That overhaul included adding over 100 freight services, which include 112 drivable services between Dresden and Riesa. With the new timetable there are now drivable services that take the mainline rather than the avoiding line between Dresden and Riesa, and many (most) services also travel via Dresden Neustadt rather than the Dresden Gbf branch (although there are still a few that take the Gbf branch).

With so many services it is easy to get lost, so I thought I'd make a thread detailing each and every service with information of which route is taken and the train formation that is used.

Consists
    Empty Auto Transport (EA): 18 twin units of empty Laaers 560 auto transport wagons.
    Loaded Auto Transport (LA): 18 twin units of loaded Laaers 560 auto transport wagons.
    Short Loaded Auto Transport (LA2): 10 twin units of loaded Laaers 560 auto transport wagons.

Loaded Paper Train (LP): 20 fully loaded Habbiins covered wagons.

Empty Tank Train (ET): 20 empty Zacns tank wagons.
    Loaded Tank Train (LT): 20 loaded Zacns tank wagons.

Empty Intermodal Train (EI): 15 empty twin units of Sggmrss container wagons.
    Loaded Intermodal Train (LI): 20 loaded twin units of Sggmrss container wagons.
    Short Loaded Intermodal Train (LI2): 10 loaded twin units of Sggmrss container wagons.

Manifest Train 1 (M1): Medium length and medium weight manifest train of mixed wagons.
    Manifest Train 2 (M2): Long and heavy manifest train of mixed wagons.

Super Heavy Grain Train, aka Monster Train (GT): 30 wagons mixed between fully loaded Habbiins and loaded Zacns wagons.

DRA_formations.png
    Note: The Vmax (and maybe brake setup?) for the trains are based on quite old data/knowledge so it might be slightly incorrect.

Brake Setup
    The trains brake settings are already mostly setup correctly automatically when the service starts. What you have to do is to change the brake setting in the back of the cab and maybe the first 5 or 6 wagons, depending on what brake setting is to be used.

P/P: The locomotive is in brake setting "P" and so are the wagons. The player does not have to change anything.

G/P: The locomotive is in brake setting "G" and the wagons are all in "P". The player has to move the switch at the back of the cab (on MRCE BR185.5) or in the engine room (BR143) to "G".

LL: "Lange Lok". The locomotive *and* the first 5 wagons (6 single-unit wagons in case they are Sggmrss container wagons) have to be changed to "G". The brake setting selector is positioned on the under carriage of the wagons.

G/G: Both the locomotive and *all* the wagons are in "G". Since the wagons are automatically change to "G" when the train weight exceeds 1600t the player only has to change the setting on the locomotive.

NOTE: Earlier locomotives do not have this feature implemented, only the MRCE BR185.5 and BR143 that come with DRA have the feature.

Vmax: This is the maximum speed the train is allowed to run at over the route. Exceed it at your own peril ;).

Timetable
    Due to my university studies taking up too much time and also "duties" related to TSW, that I cannot talk about at this time, I haven't been able to convert the raw data timetable to a more readable form. My plan is to accomplish this in the future, but I cannot say when.

In the meantime here is a link to a google spreadsheet that describes the freight timetable.
    LINK

The readability is not great, which is why I want to make a more improved version when I have the time.
    The first block (vertically) are all the trains travelling on the avoiding line in the Northerly direction (toward Riesa/Röderau). The second block are all the trains travelling North on the main line, and the two last blocks are trains traveling South on the avoiding line and main line respectively.

Minimum BrH for given Vmax
    I have been able to get a hold of the Mbr (mindeste bremshundertstel or minimum BrH) for different maximum formation speeds in either direction (Riesa to Dresden or Dresden to Riesa). To determine your Vmax you start at the speed limit all of the vehicles in your consist can travel at (usually 100 km/h or 120 km/h depending on if the train is loaded or empty, but this can vary) and then find the Vmax that has a corresponding Mbr that is lower than your trains BrH.

NOTE: The method to determine the BrH above is for a train running according to a R/P timetable, thus you should use the R/P Mbr if using such a BrH. If you want to use the "G" timetable Mbr then you have to calculate the BrH of your train yourself (which will basically just be the straight BrH without any deductions since no train on the route exceeds 700m).

Leipzig - Riesa - Dresden
    Mbr for 70 km/h = 33 R/P / 46 G
    -//- for 80 km/h = 39 R/P / 49 G
    -//- for 90 km/h = 52 R/P / 64 G
    -//- for 100 km/h = 66 R/P / 83 G
    -//- for 110 km/h = 86 R/P
    -//- for 120 km/h = 105 R/P

Dresden - Riesa - Leipzig
    Mbr for 70 km/h = 35 R/P / 46 G
    -//- for 110 km/h = 96 R/P
    -//- for 120 km/h = 110 R/P

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 21
    • Like Like x 14
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Nice thread, thank you for sharing

3. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I like the „TSW duties“ part a lot:) last time you were involved something great came out of it…

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! Hope DTG can put this info to service description one day.

5. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I am still very much interested in the timetable informations as well, I must say. I have still not found the train which runs the short cut through Dresden Neustadt Güterbahnhof.

Anybody happen to know which service this is?

6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

cwf.green, thank you a lot for putting this together. Your contribution to TSW is incredible! I hope both your TSW duties as well as your university studies are going well :)

Still trying to find it as well. Trust me, if I end up finding it, I‘ll shout on the forums to make sure we can all enjoy it :D

• Like Like x 3
  7. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

Thank you for this piece of information (and work), and as others said I would be very curious to know which service(s) doesn't run through Dresden Neustadt :)

8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and furthermore if operating the Zacns & Laaers 560s trains put pantographs Front and following the Brake modes. Then run Main Spessart Bahn with those settings too

9. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Thank you for this new post.
    1)
    I went through all (112) freight services that are offered in my version of the Dresden Nahverkehr DLC for my sheet yesterday (for the BR 185.5, but I guess the same services are offered for the BR 182 and the BR 143). I found exactly 11 different consists. I might have missed one, but I could no longer find a consist of this kind:
    The trains that are listed in your timetable as "EA" appear (in my game at least) as "LA" trains. (Maybe a checkbox set wrong.)

2)
    According to new intel that OpenMinded came up with the other day the trains that you put to "G/G" should actually be able to run in "LL" (even though they weigh more than 1,600 tons and don't have UIC-AK couplers), because they don't have articulate/short-coupled multi-units and all the cars are beyond the weight threshold.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Super-useful! Thx \o/

11. tygerways#2596

Btw, do you have any news on the brake release bug?

12. cwf.green

Thank you for the feedback! The timetable was handed to me but it's definitely very possible that I mixed up a title, or perhaps they are all the loaded configurations. The BR185_x consists are leftovers from the pre-overhaul timetable. I will investigate.

I also appreciate the clarification regarding the G/G vs LL brake settings, this is very useful information to me.

Regarding the brake release bug, unfortunately I do not dare to comment on this more than to say that I have been aware about it at least since the release of DRA. I hope you understand :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for putting this together. Maybe it could be pinned somewhere in the forums? Also looking forward to whatever you're working on for TSW!

14. cwf.green

This new information actually makes a lot of sense to me. I asked a Swedish freight train driver that I know whether G/G is ever used in Sweden. This guy has both driven the 3300-3600+ tonne steel trains that run in the middle Northern part of Sweden and the 9000-tonne iron ore trains that run between Kiruna and Narvik (Iron Ore Line) and his answer was that the only trains that ever use G-brake on all the vehicles are the iron ore trains. This answer surprised me at the time in light of my impression that G/G was used for less heavy trains in Germany, but now with the updated information it seems more reasonable.

One thing that isn't quite correct with the German freight wagons currently is that the brake pipe drains too quickly for long trains but charges too slowly. I have data that states that it takes up to 14 seconds just for the brake pipe pressure to drop to 350 kPa during an emergency brake application on the last wagon of a 600m train. This is without accelerated application/quick service and other neat things US systems use. Hopefully this can be implemented in TSW at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tygerways#2596

Thanks for sharing! There is no way in the game to see the status of the brake pipe and brake cylinders of the cars, right? The gauges in the model as well as the gauges in the in-game HUD only read the values for the loco, no?

To have a train be forced to run in G/G in the Dresden DLC you would – according to the new information – have to include (at least) one auto transport (Laers 560) or container (Sgmrss) unit or one empty car in a 1,600+ tons train.

16. cwf.green

Late reply :D: Unfortunately this data (BPP and BCP on wagons) is only available in the editor. Matt showed how the debug tool looks in a stream that I don't remember the link to. Regarding the G-brake requirements, perhaps it is time to introduce a heavy mixed train with some lightly loaded wagons in it then? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Off topic but you swedish?

18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I missed this thread first time around so Im really glad it got bumped!! Saved for future reference.

Thanks

19. cwf.green

Yep :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. CowBoyWolf

Same here and I was guessing since your profile is an Green Cargo Rc4 in the Orange color

21. cwf.green

It’s a good looking machine :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. CowBoyWolf

Indeed it is
    The Ra one also looks good in the old SJ orange livery
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Just ran into a consist not on the list: Röderau - Dresden 1134. 10 (20) loaded Laaers 560, 325 m, 577 t.

I ballpark this as a P/P Mode M train, am I right?

24. cwf.green

Yep, that should be correct. Did it go via the avoiding line or old line?

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Avoiding line. Clean and green all the way.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. cwf.green

Update.

Minimum BrH for given Vmax
    I have been able to get a hold of the Mbr (mindeste bremshundertstel or minimum BrH) for different maximum formation speeds in either direction (Riesa to Dresden or Dresden to Riesa). To determine your Vmax you start at the speed limit all of the vehicles in your consist can travel at (usually 100 km/h or 120 km/h depending on if the train is loaded or empty, but this can vary) and then find the Vmax that has a corresponding Mbr that is lower than your trains BrH.

NOTE: The method to determine the BrH above is for a train running according to a R/P timetable, thus you should use the R/P Mbr if using such a BrH. If you want to use the "G" timetable Mbr then you have to calculate the BrH of your train yourself (which will basically just be the straight BrH without any deductions since no train on the route exceeds 700m).

Leipzig - Riesa - Dresden
    Mbr for 70 km/h = 33 R/P / 46 G
    -//- for 110 km/h = 86 R/P
    -//- for 120 km/h = 105 R/P

Dresden - Riesa - Leipzig
    Mbr for 70 km/h = 35 R/P / 46 G