Ny-trenton: Usa Content Is Still Severely Flawed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TripleJ814, Feb 9, 2023.

?
  1. I find the issues to not be a big deal, and it’s fine the way everything is

17.1%
  2. I find the issues to be ridiculous and DTG needs to address this

76.5%
  3. I have a differing opinion - it would be nice if you could reply to the thread explaining why

6.4%
  1. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

30FPS wouldn't be ideal after seeing 60FPS, but it would be nice to have the option to lock the frames at a lower setting if it would remove the stuttering. But I suspect the issue goes deeper. It's not that the game slows from 60 to say a 45 constant FPS. It's the rapid 60-40 back and forth in super fast succession that causes the stutter to show up. Used to happen mostly when another train was passing by (in TSW2), but now it's everywhere in TSW3. The only route I barely saw it on a TSW3 branded route was on a mostly clear day run on Boston Providence. But add rain and it starts to creep back in.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

That's where playing on a VRR display makes the Niddertalbahn tolerable to me on XBox, as an example. It's constantly fluctuating between 45-60, but it's definitely noticeable the handful of times in a run that it drops as low as 40

• Like Like x 1
  3. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Ever heard of G-Sync/Freesync?

It's disgusting to read such uninformed tirades against a community member paul.pavlinovich that served us for years with unpayed work (Raildriver labels, Tutorials, [...])

Get better hardware and stop complaining FFS

• Like Like x 4
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I always thought that Paul was pretty objective when he was posting regularly. And his Raildriver contributions and tutorials were very useful for me.

I assume he was using his RD when making this video, though he didn't mention any refinements in its operation with NYT, which are supposed to be part of the update patch.

5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Well, on the subject of him not noticing the stuttering there, it is indeed possible some of the issues are FPS-related and if he's playing the game on a VRR display but encoding his video capture at 60fps, then issues that don't show up to him during gameplay will be visible to anyone viewing his video. Even to him if he were to watch it back in its entirety, though when editing you usually skip over a fair bit.

However some of the stutter as it appears there looks like stuff I am familiar with seeing even with VRR turned on, it's just an issue with TSW3 in general, and YMMV on how much it stands out to you personally.

6. Crosstie

Can't say I noticed any stuttering, but then, at my age, the whole world seems to be stuttering at times. :D

7. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

I've remoddeled the pillar model at Penn Station that stuck through trains. Mod should be up soon.

Screenshot1.jpg Screenshot2.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  8. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

Scaling is a second, making a new texture a bit longer. Most time is setting up UE Editor to export the model/textures and package the files.

• Like Like x 5
  10. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

That says more than the last 6 Railfan Streams together. Its just embarrassing at this point.

Great that People like you still putting the effort into routes that should be top notch in the first place.

• Like Like x 11
  11. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

While DTG wrings their hands and give excuses on why something won't / can't be done, you have corrected one of their long standing flaws in an afternoon. Praise to you and jeers to DTG.

• Like Like x 8
  12. flickswagen

flickswagen New Member

Probably already mentioned here, but the 13:33 service from Sunnyside Yard to Penn seems to have the wrong routing. I end up at track 12 rather than 11 and am unable to complete it. Has DTG said something about it, or maybe I'm the dumb one instead?

13. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

So how many UK routes and loco add ons in total are incoming?

14. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

1 loco dlc. Skyhooks uk route. 2 uk routes by dtg (peak forest and another new one) and another one by just trains.

15. MAX1319

Does that include the peak forest steam route?

16. rennekton#1349

I mentioned peak forest in my comment

17. MAX1319

yea sorry man. I'm old and blind lol

18. MAX1319

I guess at this point at least we are being acknowledged. I’m just somewhat confused on the matter of signaling and amount of services. So when LIRR services was brought up it was mentioned that the signaling was outdated and couldn’t handle any more been added. It was tried and basically it would eventually lead to stuck trains. So it seems that we have a new route but have same or very similar issues that the signaling can’t handle the amount of services even though on a previous statement Matt had say he was confident that the current signally would be able to handle all services that are on the route realistically.I just don’t know is it coding or just too complex to implement into TSW3

• Like Like x 2
  19. rennekton#1349

In this case, it was mostly due to lack of time since services are added little by little and tested and they simply had to stop to release it on time. There definitely has been an improvement in how acses/ases and atc works. Not perfect but still better than what lirr suffers from. It's probably complex to implement and dtg wants to continue improving it. I'm no dev myself and have no experience with all this but I would assume it isn't easy

• Like Like x 1
  20. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Well I thought I wouldn't be back here because I wanted to move on from NYT, but here I am because even though I don't own NYT for so many reasons, it is affecting me anyway due to its recent patch which was also inexplicably applied to BPE and HAR and has made both of these routes worse. Go here if you want to to read the specifics https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/patch-notes.68977/

I am adding this to the USA content megathread as well because it provides yet more evidence of the neglected status of the USA routes. Any drive on HAR or BPE, even just one drive, would have shown the negative effects of the patch on these routes. Either nobody tested it, not even once, because they don't care, or they tested it and released the patch anyway, because they don't care. LIRR, SFJ, BPE, HAR and NYT are all in different states of broken right now, and that is all the US passenger there is. Really it is a lost cause. DTG don't know how to make US passenger routes, they don't know how to fix US passenger routes, and whatever attempts are made just make things worse. Is it all just fine because the content sells? I guess that is ultimately up to us as individuals to decide, but in my opinion the players are disrespected.

• Like Like x 4
  21. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

Surprised to see this thread alive again lol

But yeah agreed, now I just turn ATC/ACSES off when driving a US passenger route. I hope this isn’t the last patch for a long time, because it really wasn’t all that good.

• Like Like x 1
  22. MAX1319

I tried playing it with ATC/ACES off.I can’t get over how bad the timetable is. Even during the afternoon rush hour.I counted only two services to Trenton. So many awful gaps. I have gone back playing Harlem and really appreciate that route even more.

• Like Like x 3
  23. MAX1319

Hopefully things improves with new ownership but not expecting anything different in the near term. Honestly not surprised with the latest route MML.

• Like Like x 1
  24. yliu312

yliu312 Member

I find that the action of closing and opening door on acela is really fast, is that the case in reality?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I found something constructive again about the skyline in Manhattan. I've been playing the new PGA golf tour from EA since last week, because 2K can't implement its PGA golf license as convincingly as EA does. Volumetric clouds alone and a Tiger Woods don't make the gameplay any better either. Back to topic: there is a new golf course in New Jersey, west of Manahttan island. About the same distance as Sunnyside Yard on the east side. From the golf course you can clearly see what the opposite skyline might look like. Also not 100% perfect, modeled relatively low poly, only minimal textures, but convincing in the end. This way the golfer really gets the impression that he is close to NYC. An extended skyline of LIRR would also make the difference, including a light map for the night, since power outages are rather rare in NYC. ;)

Manhattan Skyline.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I see that EA went with the basic logic known as ‘we should probably try and make New York look like New York’.

DTG on the other hand seem to think that just telling us we’re in New York is good enough.

• Like Like x 18
  27. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

TBF I have seen my capital city play three different cities in a single movie, maybe DTG is inspired by Hollywood. :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. darrentee01

darrentee01 Member

It's a well representation of the route only the service pattern is lacking ,also a pity about no static freight ,however don't see that changing in the foreseeable future,but stand to be corrected

29. MAX1319

So on the morning rush between 3am and 8am you have 15 trains that go from Trenton to Penn station but on the afternoon rush hour from 15:00 to 20:00 you only have 5 trains services that go from Penn station to Trenton. Just a horrible timetable. Is like they just slapped it together. I know this route has no hopes of getting a new timetable and if they fail with the two biggest North American commuter routes (NYT,LIRR) what hopes do we have for future US passenger service????

• Like Like x 4
  30. rennekton#1349

They could create a scenic route with few services. But idk if they would create that since the route length would be long. For busier routes, idk.

31. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say no hope, definitely not soon (for the better - a timetable for this kind of route needs a lot of time put into it) but in the future. IIRC Matt was talking about looking into a timetable update somewhere a few weeks ago.
    I honestly think they should start moving away from the northeast. With the tight deadlines set for DLCs recently, I don’t think another NEC route is a good idea for the foreseeable future, and a lot more interesting stuff exists elsewhere (USA Passenger wise, like Altamont Corridor Express for example, they actually want to be in the game)

With that said, personally I don’t feel like buying anymore products for TSW anyways until their DLCs become the quality they used to be just a couple years ago. Sticking to my already owned content and TS1 third party content for now :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  32. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

NYT is a major disappointment, absolutely. The best thing to do would have been not to buy it. However, I suspect enough people did buy it that we will get a further regurgitation of NYC-centric routes. Look for the Hudson or New Haven Line, or something LIRR. Or, they may decide to finally "fix" the NYT timetable by selling you NJT routes and add-ons that can "layer in." I wouldn't expect much from other parts of the USA due to licensing that DTG apparently doesn't have.

To be clear, I am not explicitly saying that this is such a bad thing, either. I would be interested in a new MNRR route. LIRR probably less so, because DTG would likely insist on reusing the subpar assets from their previous DLC. I also am not categorically opposed to Amtrak routes where the commuter license doesn't exist, such as for instance Pacific Surfliner with Amtrak and freight filler only. In fact, DTG could probably make a nice Amtrak route if they weren't so flummoxed by the signalling requirements. NYT was probably the most difficult route that DTG could make as far as US passenger goes. So, I wouldn't say that there is no hope. Perhaps DTG even learned something about player expectations from the NYT reaction? Ha ha no

• Like Like x 4
  33. MAX1319

All good points. Is good to have these conversations and hope something good comes out for all future DLC but especially US content.

• Like Like x 6
  34. MAX1319

What are the chances we hear some good news about NYT and maybe some new content for US route? It seems lately and for all future content is UK and German related.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Honestly I want the brakes to be put on any new content till the existing stuff gets fixed and released.

As well as the dial turned back and DTG to think on where to go with US content.

• Like Like x 4
  36. rennekton#1349

Trenton, acela and up heritage pack and the bnsf sd70 released quite recently. Probably in the next roadmap or maybe June or summer release. Most of the uk content and German content was due to it being made by 3rd parties, not only dtg.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Maybe one of them will even have the NY skyline.....

• Like Like x 3
  38. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I have a feeling something is in the pipeline as the April roadmap is devoid of any US content (both first and third party)

39. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I wonder what US content we may get next. Maybe New Haven Line or fixes for New York to Trenton. I vaguely recall in one of the streams from 2022, mention of a possible Pacific Surfliner route

40. MAX1319

Unfortunately If previous history holds,a freight route should be the next US route

41. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Given the recent US freight DLC's released and ideas that DTG has recently released. (Underwhelming Cajon Pass, Out of Era ATSF F7, horribly rushed UP Heritage Pack, lazy BNSF SD70ACe) I'm not looking forward to a new US freight route.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Crosstie

I would welcome a freight route actually, perhaps a Norfolk Southern coal route rather than a Western run.
    I would be nervous about a passenger route and I would not want another segment of the NEC quite frankly.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Oh we're discussing potential future US routes? Personally, my most wanted route for TSW has to be New York - Trenton.

I mean, imagine that! We could get such a busy route with all those NJ Transit services that run on the line, all those trains on not only the NEC line, but also the NJCL, and perhaps fictionalize some AI to do some of the other lines. The ALP-46 looks a lot like the ALP-45DP anyways. Also, we could have a bunch of LIRR trains running at NY Penn, so the busiest station in the country can finally get all of its services fully represented! And of course a freight layer to fill up all of those yards and sidings on the route...

And imagine how much they could improve on the old NEC: New York! Building the section to modern standards where they fix things such as properly adding overhead wires wherever needed in Sunnyside Yard, and especially if they fixed the trains clipping through platforms at Penn Station! Perhaps it could have a proper improvement on the signaling too, and no issues with the safety systems on the trains and all.

Ah, but I'm just dreaming. It would be incredibly cool if we had a route like that in game...

• Like Like x 12
  44. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

I believe it is.
    I hope it's gonna be CSX since CSX was the first US Class 1 RR presented in TSW and it's been about 5-6 years since TSW: CSX HH released and wouldn't it be nice of we get another DLC presenting CSX territory.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  45. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I will be happy if DTG will remaster their first route - Sand Patch Grade. He deserves more love. New lighting, environments, new schedules, additional rolling stock, and new vegetation could make a big difference. It can become one of the best and spectacular routes. I really hope this happens.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Crosstie

It's already the best freight route.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Despite the only 3rd party that did US routes is Skyhook so far, and between both their Cane Creek and Horseshoe Curve there were, at best, decent but not that much great compare to other routes from DTG.

As for the next route in DTG's US cycle. There's no denying that, after Cajon and Trenton, I'm not that hopeful for the next US freight route at all (not after Peak Forest). Not only for the locos of what we already have to be reused, again, but also the scenery and timetable being subpar due to the lack of know how the route actually looks and works irl.

Edit: And after looking the roadmap today, glad there's no mention to the next US route yet (But that might change for next month).

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  48. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

• Like Like x 10
  49. MAX1319

Yes!!!! I knew once Joe gave a thumbs up to my pat earlier I knew we had some good news …. Finally
    • New [TSW3] NEC: New York – Trenton timetable improvements

• Like Like x 5
  50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1