PC Route Mergers In 2022 Lets Build A Network….

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jan 3, 2022.

?
  1. Yes

314 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. On the fence

17 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Just imagine if GWE had been built in the same way as BML
    Paddington would be alive.
    AI Heathrow express trains, AI branch line trains, AI Heathrow connect trains.
    It would have been buzzing.
    Hey ho- technology moves on. GWE is fun to drive, but its deathly quiet compared to Victoria!

D

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And presumably a similar level of progression will be made between now and five years time...

3. ARuscoe

AI Heathrow express? They were class 333 at the time and we don't have those in game
    AI Heathrow connect? They were class 360??? Again not in game

The thing that BML has is that almost all the stock on the route IS in game

• Like Like x 2
  4. dave from Cornwall

ARuscoe yes, I totally agree, I was thinking if they had built GWE now...they would have had something there?

5. ARuscoe

We don't have the 80x or 345 so all we DO have is the 37x for the Heathrow Express which would only run as far as Airport Junction anyway

If they DID have the 80x and 345 in place of the HST and the 166 then we wouldn't have the branches (run by the 166) or the HST and 166 on BML so it kind of doesn't work

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That should be a Class 387. Playable to Hayes and Harlington then AI to Heathrow Airport.
    802s 800 including 800 321 Express to Cornwall and Wales.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ARuscoe

Yeah, that
    And 800s to Bristol as well, almost half I think terminate there as the Bristol shuttle

8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

As above. I mean it in terms of there needs to be a line drawn in the sand so that any new route has a modular functionality and that they can be joined together in the future if chosen with timetables that don’t kill one another but equally operate equally as well as independent entities.

if for example a connection to Paddington to reading was made I think it would introduce no end of hassle and require too much work to be done for the older route. If however a network was chosen where we do not have much then if there’re future proofed to the concept from inception it could potentially give us modular experiences for the future

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

This bit would enable that, but would essentially orphan any route made before that time I guess... I'm sure people round here would be happy with that

10. driverwoods#1787

The missing pieces are Great Western Main Line Swindon Bristol 40 mi 27ch followed by GWML Reading Swindon 41mi 36ch then GWML Existing. Alternatively linking Great Western Main Line existing with Bristol can be done as GWML Bristol Reading via Swindon 81mi 50 chains I'm passing Sherman hill by 5 miles then the existing GWML London Paddington to reading. One can actually drive a Bristol service from end-to-end. Using HST unless Adam and the development team has alternate time table enabled GWR 800 802s 387s to run Bristol to London with Existing trains.
    Whole route has working 25kv OHLE permitting electric train operations with AWS TPWS DSD ETCS for 140 mph 225 kmh operations

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I’ve said before the logical extension is Reading to Oxford and/or add in the branch lines Greenford, Windsor, Marlow and Henley plus the freight only lines to Brentford and Colnbrook. Heathrow not possible as discussed many times previously due to BAA licensing and possibly security concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  12. driverwoods#1787

How about Reading Swindon Bristol 81 miles Pemits HST Max speed sailing and complete a London to Bristol Run HST. Post 2017-220 upgrade Class 800 802 387/1 trips.

13. OldVern

81 miles too far under DTG route paradigm. Oxford is more logical as terminus of the outer suburban service both 166 and the services operated by HST. More scope for freight with Didcot and Hinksey Yards and a decent run for the Southampton container trains, especially if they opened up the route to Southcote Jn or even Basingstoke.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chieflongshin

Imagine bolting something onto this old route and seeing a paradigm shift between DTGs current expertise and their older route. I think it would be like an equatorial code line visible from space

15. OldVern

This is why I don't think it will ever happen.
    We would be more likely to see new routes such as Basingstoke to Oxford or Reading to Redhill which abut onto existing routes, with maybe some sort of magic portal to walk through between them as the offered solution.

16. chieflongshin

Was really interesting hearing Matt talk about this last night and some of the potential solutions. I hope this one creeps up the development ladder.

Thanks for discussing DTG

17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Wait, what? I watched the stream, but don't recall Matt discussing this.

18. chieflongshin

Was discussion around modular routes or extensions, pros and cons. Nothing in pipeline, Matt was just talking about potential solutions IF they ever went down that rabbit hole. Last 10min or so

19. ARuscoe

Was discussed right at the very end in the "What are the people on the forums talking about?" section

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I'd definitely like to see this happening, I think JT's approach to the MML is perfect and should be adopted if it is possible; UE5 anyone?.

21. chieflongshin

I do like the modular idea, in that if they think of the next three years of routes for each region and how they can intertwine. That could be really interesting seeing some larger networks come together over a couple of years with some longer and potentially equally varied services.

22. ARuscoe

Why would this be a model for how things work in TSW?
    When you buy a TSC route you get six or seven standalone scenarios and in each case you need all preceding modules to play any of the scenarios.
    In TSW you would need to have 6 different timetables and additional scenarios and that's without thinking about rolling stock etc

Hopefully they work out a way of introducing dynamic timetables which look for the extensions and put in the available pathing rather than having to have multiple timetables just to get anything working. For me that's the hardest part of all of this

23. martschuffing

I do not know the technicalities of such things I'm just a gamer all I know is that that is something I'd like to see in-game, same as a high percentage of respondents to this thread would.

24. chieflongshin

Agreed. I've actually bought one or two
    Routes in TSC recently and with the exception of jt burning my retinas I love feeling like I've been somewhere, as well as the shorter services we get.

I do wonder why so many want older routes extended though. Perhaps some brand new ones built to be extended would be as nice

25. ARuscoe

Well this is a discussion forum, so if the idea gets raised (we the community) can discuss...

I personally would happily see DTG beginning to incorporate multi layer timetables over a larger network, indeed I don't see why they don't allow for routing instructions off map in the same way as they do PIS instructions (future proofing)

26. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

That is completely true, but would be laggy and poorly optimized as hell

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

Paddington - Reading
    Class 43, Class 166, Class 332, Class 66, Class 360

Victoria - Brighton
    Class 377, class 387, Class 377, Class 375, Class 465, Class 43, Class 66

By my reckoning there are more requirements on BML and that runs OK on even my decrepit old PC

• Like Like x 1
  28. dave from Cornwall

Ultimately if they were to titivate GWE with a £19-25 add on of extra bonus stuff, it would be the sensible one to do- as we all (potentially) have it due it being the base game in TSW2?

29. chieflongshin

Can I ask a really dumb question. Why is everyone all over GWE?

They said last night, we said pages ago, there'd be a massive quality difference and it wouldn't look right. They won't rebuild that piece we have too.

It's done :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  30. dave from Cornwall

As I stated, it was the one that everyone "should" have? They previously didnt want to do extensions, because only people with the original could buy the add on?
    That was my logic :)

31. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I feel like dtg should've planned ahead for this from the beginning of tsw. Did anyone at dtg really think that nobody would want some sort of extension or mergers of routes. Yeh it is nice to get new routes but not everyone wants to buy different routes all the time. Route mergers are a great way to add alot of value to routes and can easily make dtg some additional revenue in sales. But because the way they build things has evolved and not planning ahead, I don't think some routes can have mergers unless dtg were willing to basically rebuild a route which dtg aren't willing to do

I do hope this can happen eventually because it is clear that this is something players want

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  32. solicitr

Except that is no longer true. It was true of TSW1, but now the routes "everybody has" are SKA, Sand Patch and Bakerloo. Bakerloo can't be extended and there isn't much point to extending Sand Patch. So that would leave something out of Köln to the east or south.

Not a bad idea, in the long term, because that could lead to a 'modularization' of the various Rheinland routes.

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

Technically bakerloo could be extended if they wanted to make the London Overground Watford DC Line and have it extended north of harrow to Watford Junction or south of queens park to London Euston. It would be cool but I don't see it happening

• Like Like x 1
  34. driverwoods#1787

How about North to Duisburg via Düsseldorf linking SKA with HRR or via Wuppertal via Solingen linking SKA with RRO

• Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

Or the high speed line from koln to Frankfurt although that would be quite long. A man can dream though

36. solicitr

That wouldn't really be an "extension," though, because it would not extend the Bakerloo proper nor extend runs with the Tube Stock. It would merely make use of what presently are decorative tracks, which if populated would feature quite other trains running elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  37. chieflongshin

I'd prefer them somewhere like Waverley, linking it to Glasgow, maybe the highlands.

Alternatively a WCML or ECML modular route.

I'd welcome similar in the states or Germany too

• Like Like x 2
  38. tallboy7648

True but hey if they ever wanted to make a London Overground dlc with the 378s and the 710s, that would be one way of doing it

39. chieflongshin

I must admit I was running BML the other day and was thinking a 700 and a full window to view from would look nice.

40. driverwoods#1787

• Like Like x 1
  41. martschuffing

I'd like to see modular for Brums network and Manchester's.

42. driverwoods#1787

you mean Manchester Ordsall Chord used by Present Day NTP and Calder Valley Trips

43. ARuscoe

If a modular network then quite a lot of the below becomes possible / linked up

upload_2022-5-5_14-41-44.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. chieflongshin

I think this is what's needed when planning the next x dlc for a region. Get the big timetable Matt said about, invest in the infrastructure and then it's there as/when/if you want to bolt on, or later on top of it

• Like Like x 2
  45. martschuffing

The Manchester network as in Don Coffey's.
    And the Brum network as in Coventry Stafford Bromsgrove Redditch Lichfield Trent valley Leamington Spa Bromsgrove via Snow hill Walsall Wolverhampton, now that would be something if possible!

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  46. lachlan smith

lachlan smith Active Member

timetables modes from atlantic terminal to hicksvile for long island railroad

47. chieflongshin

Alm
    almost got this.

48. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

Would love to see a BML+ ECW merger in tsw but a man can dream sigh

• Like Like x 2
  49. driverwoods#1787

agree with you and when it comes to the merger both routes need a common origin point. Otherwise you will have the same situation seen in train simulator classic where you cannot merge routes due to different common origin points best example is Bahnstrecke Köln Koblenz & Bahnstrecke Koblenz Frankfurt am Main they cannot be merge with each other due to different origin point. Here's Matt's quote on merger

50. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

I would really love to see a merger when more intensive routes are added like the wcml, ecml more german route, etc

• Like Like x 1