Route Proposal: East Bay Area: Oakland To San Jose ( Amtrak, Union Pacific, Bart )

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So a more modern proposal for a route would be the east side of the bay area, with the focus on Passenger and Freight Services between Oakland and San Jose, with a potential for a BART DLC if possible. The route would be roughly between 45 and 60 miles long.
    aa.png

Passenger Services
    The primary passenger service on this line would be Amtrak California's Capitol Corridor, running between Oakland's Jack London Square Station and San Jose Diridon. A total of 7 stops would be on the route, which include...
    -Oakland Jake London Square
    -Oakland Coliseum
    -Hayward
    -Fremont
    -Santa Clara GA
    -Santa Clara University
    -San Jose
    An additional stop in Emeryville could also be added.

The primary equipment that would be used for this route would be the older F59PHIs, which they still retain, with the Double Decker California Cars and Cab Car.
    [​IMG]

Possible DLC equipment would be the newer Siemens Charger.
    [​IMG]

Oakland is also home to an Amtrak maintenance facility as well, which services the Amtrak California trains, as well as the California Zephyr (Which used to depart from Oakland, but was later cut to Emeryville in 1997).
    [​IMG]

Another possible DLC for this route would be Amtrak's Coast Starlight, which has stops in Emeryville, Oakland, and San Jose. The southbound train #11 usually passes thru in the morning, with the northbound Train #14 usually after sundown. This DLC would included the usual Amtrak Long Distance equipment of GE P42DC's, Viewliner Baggage Cars, and Superliner I and II Equipment.
    [​IMG]

Freight Services
    The Union Pacific is the sole owner of all major freight traffic in the area (Outside of the port), and would be the primary focus for the freight services on this route. UP maintains yards in Oakland, Fremont, and Milpitas, with a numerous amount of local customers in the area as well. Oakland is home to a UP Maintenance facility as well. I, however am not familiar with UP freight movements on this line though, and which route UP sends its trains to head east to Sunol thru Niles Canyon, as trains can't head east from the main line colored in red below.
    aaa.png

Port of Oakland
    [​IMG]

The Fremont Yard is located behind the old Nummi Plant, which is now owned by Tesla, however, no freight is served by the plant anymore.
    freemoint.png

The Milpitas Yard is located just south of the Fremont Yard, and mainly handles Autoracks.
    milpitas.png

Equipment for this route could be GP60's for both local and switching duties.
    [​IMG]

Mainline power could be EMD SD70M's, SD70ACe, or the GE EVO's. The ACe's would open up the opportunity to add Heritage Units to the game as well, with both the SP and WP units, as the lines in this area were owned by both railroads.

BART
    So, while a long shot, Ill still give it a mention, as the lines of the Bay Area Rapid Transit system follow most of the proposed route above ground, from Milpitas to Oakland, though they only connect to Amtrak at one station at the Oakland Coliseum.
    aaaaa.png

BART also maintains a Maintenance facility in Hayward.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 25
  2. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Every time I hear or read Alameda there's only one thing on my mind: nuclear vessels... I'm sorry.
    ---
    Does it share stations with Peninsular? Could it maybe be an extension instead of a stand alone? That would make it much more interesting to me.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Blacknred81

They share the Santa Clara University and San Jose Stations

• Like Like x 3
  4. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

Well if the team decides the development time is worth it I would personally prefer to see the Capitol Corridor in its entirety from San Jose to Sacramento, maybe even extend it out to Roseville so that freight trains have somewhere to go.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I definitely like this proposal- would really like to see this added someday. It could be a standalone route, or simply tied into the existing Peninsula Corridor route on the now unused section of track just north of the SC station. Nice job putting all of this together... let’s hope this happens.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Blacknred81

I did make a suggestion awhile ago for the section from west of Sacramento to Roseville, so maybe break the route up into 3 separate DLCs.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/route-proposal-sacramento-area-davis-roseville.23340/

• Like Like x 2
  7. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

I do like the idea and it would add more content

• Like Like x 2
  8. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great idea. I really want a UP C45AH (or ET44AC) or UP SD70ACe-T4, UP GP60, and Amtrak SC44 or ALC42 Charger included in this route if it is made. A Genset Switcher, SD70ACe and P42DC Genesis could be added later as loco DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

So gonna make a few changes to this proposal....

1st is I removed the F40 Cabbages, Horizon and Comet IB cars are those are only used on the San Joaquin Trains, not the Capitol Corridor trains, so they would not have any use on this route.

2nd is the addition of part of UP's Line thru Niles Canyon to just south of Pleasanton, as well as add in the Niles Canyon Railway.
    Union Pacific runs on the old Western Pacific tracks thru the Canyon towards Tracy and the rest of Central California, this would add a short run from Niles Junction, to the Hearst Siding, between Pleasanton and Sunol. The Altamont Corridor Express also uses this line for commute service between Stockton and San Jose.
    aaa.png

The Niles Canyon Railway runs on the old Southern Pacific ROW which was originally abandoned in 1984, the Pacific Locomotive Association leased the land from Alameda County, and finished connecting the line from Niles to Sunol in 2006, with a yard located at Brightside and a connection to the UP line at the Hearst Siding mentioned earlier. While the route itself shouldn't come with any of their equipment as stock, a later DLC could add their trains to their tracks.
    niles03.jpg
    steamfest_2014_gallery_cvl4_farwell_1200x675.jpg
    NCRy_SP9010_RunbyAtStairway_190720_CRH_1600px_wm.jpg 75e435c6392a12742c24ef4a21387417.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and If you own this one and Peninsula commute you get to substitute GP-38-2 for GP-60 for switching duties East Bay. Also they need to add in SD90 MAC from Union Pacific train Sim 21 Sherman Hill and Donner Pass routes. UP does have MP15AC switchers too they're the 1300s. Potentially lead to a reskin as LIRR 100s.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Niles Canyon should be added to the game. I really like the ML4000. Maybe we could get this route set in WP and/or SP days.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

San Jose flew to Los Angeles, can this life be achieved?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blacknred81

Gonna bring this topic back up again, after spending an Afternoon around Santa Clara Station, both the existing Peninsula Corridor route, and this route would be a good route for US route layering, as Caltrain trains can layer into this route for Santa Clara and San Jose, while Capitol Corridor Trains can layer into the Peninsula Corridor Route.
    IMG_0984.JPG

I will also make a small proposal for ACE trains as well, while they only run half the route before going east to Stockton via Niles Canyon, they do play a part in the local traffic around San Jose. Unlike both Caltrain or the Capitol Corridor, ACE trains only run in one direction, depending on time of day, in the morning, they run west from Stockton to San Jose, in the Afternoon, they run back from San Jose to Stockton. If they were to come as a DLC for this route, they would add about 8 services, 4 morning and 4 afternoon, with some shuttle moves from their storage yard south of Tamien Station to San Jose Diridon.

ACE trains use equipment that are already in game, coming soon to the game, or with the original proposal.

F40PH-3C (Which will come with the Rush Hour NEC Route)
    SC-44 Charger (Possible DLC for original suggestion)
    Bombardier BiLevel (Exists with Caltrain)
    IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG

Of course ACE trains would depend if DTG can
    acquire a license from them (Which DTG doesn't have a good track record of US commuter rails)

• Like Like x 3
  14. csxfan#8403

csxfan#8403 Active Member

This would kick ass! And would be an excellent companion route for Peninsula Corridor. It's kinda like the proposal I did for CSX's Mountain Sub from Cumberland to Rowlesburg, WV. Regarding the power, throw in some D8s, 60s, Tunnel Motors, AC44s and SD40-2s and you're all set. And the Amtrak set could be used on SPG as the Capitol Limited.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. csxfan#8403

That would be amazing to run.

16. csxfan#8403

I like that idea! And I think both this route and peninsula corridor could fit with cane creek when that gets released. They should also add the D8-40Cs(standard and widecab), SD60s(standard and widenose), tunnel motors and SD40-2s.
    And the MP15ACs would be excellent additions, here and on the LIRR, in ballast runs and NY&A freight work. And on SPG in CSX paint.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  17. csxfan#8403

I like this alot, this would really be perfect for when steam engines are released.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Oh yeah some GS-4s running down the peninsula corridor it would be cool

• Like Like x 1
  19. csxfan#8403

• Like Like x 1
  20. csxfan#8403

Oh for sure. That would be something else to consider.

21. csxfan#8403

Definitely. Along with the California Western Railroad in Fort Bragg, which would also be great for when steam engines are released

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  22. driverwoods#1787

Good point and for those Altamont Pass computer Express double decker coach they can simply be done as a reskin of Baby Bullet double deckers. Now going to the Eastern Time Zone they're the perfect commuter rail coach for Oakville

• Like Like x 1
  23. csxfan#8403

And for MARC/VRE on the Cap/Met/RF&P sub routes.

• Like Like x 1
  24. csxfan#8403

I should add if this went out to Roseville, that would factor in a potential Donner Pass route in the future.

25. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Not a bad proposal, I have to say. I like Peninsula Corridor a lot, I bet another route in the area would be nice as well.

• Like Like x 1
  26. csxfan#8403

Yes definitely. And a great companion route as well.

27. csxfan#8403

Especially the F59PHIs in leased Sounder green and white.

• Like Like x 1
  28. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me but I'm only familiar with the East Coast Commuter Rail High platform operations like LIRR and NJ Transit

• Like Like x 1
  29. csxfan#8403

Glad to help.

• Like Like x 1
  30. brodeyness4

brodeyness4 Active Member

Very good proposal! Would love to see this in game!

• Like Like x 1
  31. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

I can dig it. Good proposal as usual.

• Like Like x 1
  32. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Personally I would want to see the longer Oakland-Sacramento route. This part of the route is PACKED with lots of interesting stuff to see along the journey. The diversity in scenery is also really nice. The most notable location along the line is the Martinez railroad bridge. It is truly a sight to be seen. You also get to go along the street running section at Oakland station, which is what makes the station interesting to begin with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  33. csxfan#8403

So would I. And the route over Donner Pass to Roseville would be awesome as well..in addition to the West Colton-Palmdale Cutoff from West Colton to Victorville.

34. csxfan#8403

And you'd plenty of yards to work with

35. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

so here is my 2 questions,
    will we be able to see layered AI services in Both routes?
    And will be able to use the GP60 for use on Peninsula Corridor and Vice Versa with the GP38-2?

• Like Like x 1
  36. csxfan#8403

Yes. And the freight services would improve on Peninsula Corridor.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  37. csxfan#8403

I agree with this wholeheartedly. And the MP36PH-3C is a an amazing fit as well. Along with VIA rail.

• Like Like x 1