Train Simulator Classic Update Now Live!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Apr 27, 2023.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Train Simulator Classic update out now - Featuring new core, refreshed routes and new Deluxe Edition. Discover your ultimate railway hobby!
    Read More : Train Simulator Classic - Update Now Live (dovetailgames.com)

Update: Friday 28th April, 13:00 BST

Thanks everyone who has sent us through feedback from yesterday's core update.

The team have been working hard to identify the cause of some of the issues some players have mentioned since the update has come out. We wanted to update you in the areas we're currently investigating.

We will be working on a post-release patch - which we want to thoroughly test before putting live - focusing on solving these areas.

1) Image handling, and offering additional protection on how the game recognises certain imagery

2) Add-ons that use DLLs

3) players using dynamic lighting

4) #4 camera broken

We'll also be additionally investigating any areas we're seeing large numbers of crashes.

The Experimental DX12 build will be be going live later this afternoon, and we're asking players to submit feedback for that in this thread - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...pdate-feedback-dx12-experimental-build.69715/ - we'll be monitoring feedback separately over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again, and we hope you're enjoying the new Core builds - which are the first step on our journey to a more stable, better performing Train Simulator Classic.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  2. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

Where is the update on Steam?

3. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

Hmmm...
    7:20 p.m. still nothing in France!!

4. Mavadelo

Mavadelo New Member

Can't buy classic or deluxe to add new routes, "buy for myself" is not active on steam due to me "already owning items in the package"

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same issue. I've got the update fine, but I can't buy the deluxe bundle.

6. SLBM

SLBM Active Member

Same here. Seems that because this time the game did not change the title, Steam has not recognised it's a new product bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We're working with Steam to rectify the bundles situation. Thanks for your patience!

For those waiting for an update, you should be on version 73.6a if you've received it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. SLBM

SLBM Active Member

I haven't purchased yet, but now it seems possible, the button is active.

9. DTG JD

Just had it confirmed from our Retail team that it's now purchasable. Thanks for your patience.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Mavadelo

Mavadelo New Member

Indeed it is fixed. Thank you for the quick action.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nolanfleener123

nolanfleener123 New Member

will this update break any locomotives purchased from machine rail?

12. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

My game appears to be broken...

In cab it looks like I'm in a lorry cab and it's constantly raining..

Oh wait, scratch that...

I'm at work....

• Like Like x 4
  13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Genius...
    Screenshot_20230428_010556_Chrome~2.jpg

14. Legomaster1197

Legomaster1197 New Member

Did you guys change how the trackside camera works? If so, why?

15. does any of the stuff we have got from armstrong powerhouse , just trains or alan Thomson Simulations websites for the pc steam edition brake the game i would like to know asap please

16. Legomaster1197

Legomaster1197 New Member

Probably.

17. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yet the title of the thread says...

Still Genius..

19. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

Have been running AP scenarios. Working better with update. Fewer frame rate stutters. Running Windows 11 so very interested to try out DirectX12 today!

• Like Like x 1
  20. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  21. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
  22. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

Are you running any virus protection (not Winows Defender). I have seen these create an issue with communicating to the internet.

23. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

yes i am running a virus protection on my computer because it previous ran out and i had to update it is that what the problam is

24. roberto.piantanida

roberto.piantanida New Member

Dear Sirs, despite your update and as for most users, TS does not work.
    you have included a procedure to reset the "three countries route" system yourself, but there are also people who are not so practical in making the changes.
    therefore, the damage is there and it's up to you to restore everything without a user having to do it himself.
    Thank you
    Roberto from Milan

• Like Like x 2
  25. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

I cannot answer for your pc. I have tried AVG and Norton. In both cases when I analyzed my Event Logger after the blue screen it pointed to potential collision between the Antivirus and communication needing to get out. Maybe one could argue TSC is a virus (lol) however I specifically am wanting traffic from TSC and ThirdRails to occur and suspect that the Antivirus is causing the collision. I am running with just Windows Defender (the default) and so far so good. I can say that on my setup other Anti Virus apps collide with the running of TSC/Steam/ThirdRails.

Respectfully

26. Damo68

Damo68 New Member

My Train Sim classic doesn't load since the update.
    The banner pops up, then I hear the sound (freight marshall yard), then the banner vanishes.
    I've looked at the dependencies and downloaded the microsoft C++ files, but no joy.
    I've restarted many times.
    Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?

27. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

When I tried to load for the first time I had issues. I used the uninstall from Steam and once that completed I then reinstalled via Steam. If you have not already done so then this is probably a good practise since it will combine the new code with a fresh repack of all of the dependant files.

Respectfully

28. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Has any of the dev team figured out why the DX12 version is tanking fps yet?

30. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Update - 3rd May, 2023 - 15:30 BST

We have pushed an update that solves the issue with images causing crashes.
    We're reviewing the other improvements listed in our previous update, and will update when ready to release.

• Like Like x 6
  31. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

OK, .lua issues and "4" camera up next Jamie :)

You might also wanna check this reproducible bug TrainSim-Steve, which was discovered by fellow member KodiakJac

Route: Montana HiLine, Scenario Pack 1

Scenario: [MHL 1.05] Geeps and Grain

Issue: On scenario start, you need to uncouple 5 cars from your train. Clicking the coupler either in the HUD or in the free camera causes the game to freeze. There is no script involved in this instruction.

Instruction blueprint:
    Code:
                                   <cConsistOperations d:id="1062631008">
                                       <ActivationLevel d:type="sInt16">0</ActivationLevel>
                                       <SuccessTextToBeSavedMessage d:type="bool">0</SuccessTextToBeSavedMessage>
                                       <FailureTextToBeSavedMessage d:type="bool">0</FailureTextToBeSavedMessage>
                                       <DisplayTextToBeSavedMessage d:type="bool">0</DisplayTextToBeSavedMessage>
                                       <TriggeredText>
                                           <Localisation-cUserLocalisedString>
                                               <English d:type="cDeltaString">BRAKEMAN: Uncoupled. Now proceed forward to and stop at Kremlin Elevator Siding W with the rear clear for a reverse move into the Kremlin Team Track.</English>
                                               <French d:type="cDeltaString"></French>
                                               <Italian d:type="cDeltaString"></Italian>
                                               <German d:type="cDeltaString"></German>
                                               <Spanish d:type="cDeltaString"></Spanish>
                                               <Dutch d:type="cDeltaString"></Dutch>
                                               <Polish d:type="cDeltaString"></Polish>
                                               <Russian d:type="cDeltaString"></Russian>
                                               <Other/>
                                               <Key d:type="cDeltaString">3b79cfda-80a5-4147-8dff-e34055cb9f1c</Key>
                                           </Localisation-cUserLocalisedString>
                                       </TriggeredText>
                                       <UntriggeredText>
                                               <English d:type="cDeltaString">This task was unsuccessful.</English>
                                               <Other/>
                                               <Key d:type="cDeltaString">85379893-41eb-4195-a5c5-3ff6d044ea36</Key>
                                       </UntriggeredText>
                                       <DisplayText>
                                               <English d:type="cDeltaString"></English>
                                               <Other/>
                                               <Key d:type="cDeltaString">9b4353e3-e8c8-4972-ac50-a1e2a29e7a6e</Key>
                                       </DisplayText>
                                       <TriggerTrainStop d:type="bool">0</TriggerTrainStop>
                                       <TriggerWheelSlip d:type="bool">0</TriggerWheelSlip>
                                       <WheelSlipDuration d:type="sInt16">14979</WheelSlipDuration>
                                       <TriggerSound>
                                           <cGUID>
                                               <UUID>
                                                   <e d:type="sUInt64">0</e>
                                               </UUID>
                                               <DevString d:type="cDeltaString">00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</DevString>
                                           </cGUID>
                                       </TriggerSound>
                                       <TriggerAnimation>
                                           <cGUID>
                                               <UUID>
                                               </UUID>
                                               <DevString d:type="cDeltaString">00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</DevString>
                                           </cGUID>
                                       </TriggerAnimation>
                                       <SecondsDelay d:type="sInt16">0</SecondsDelay>
                                       <Active d:type="bool">1</Active>
                                       <ArriveTime>
                                           <sTimeOfDay>
                                               <_iHour d:type="sInt32">0</_iHour>
                                               <_iMinute d:type="sInt32">0</_iMinute>
                                               <_iSeconds d:type="sInt32">0</_iSeconds>
                                           </sTimeOfDay>
                                       </ArriveTime>
                                       <DepartTime>
                                           <sTimeOfDay>
                                           </sTimeOfDay>
                                       </DepartTime>
                                       <Condition d:type="cDeltaString"></Condition>
                                       <SuccessEvent d:type="cDeltaString"></SuccessEvent>
                                       <FailureEvent d:type="cDeltaString"></FailureEvent>
                                       <Started d:type="bool">0</Started>
                                       <Satisfied d:type="bool">0</Satisfied>
                                       <DeltaTarget>
                                           <cDriverInstructionTarget d:id="1505880136">
                                               <DisplayName d:type="cDeltaString">Kremlin West Spur Switch</DisplayName>
                                               <Timetabled d:type="bool">0</Timetabled>
                                               <Performance d:type="sInt32">75</Performance>
                                               <MinSpeed d:type="sInt32">0</MinSpeed>
                                               <DurationSecs d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</DurationSecs>
                                               <EntityName d:type="cDeltaString">Kremlin West Spur Switch</EntityName>
                                               <TrainOrder d:type="bool">0</TrainOrder>
                                               <Operation d:type="cDeltaString">DropOffRailVehicle</Operation>
                                               <Deadline>
                                                   <sTimeOfDay>
                                                   </sTimeOfDay>
                                               </Deadline>
                                               <PickingUp d:type="bool">1</PickingUp>
                                               <Duration d:type="sUInt32">10</Duration>
                                               <HandleOffPath d:type="bool">0</HandleOffPath>
                                               <EarliestDepartureTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</EarliestDepartureTime>
                                               <DurationSet d:type="bool">0</DurationSet>
                                               <ReversingAllowed d:type="bool">1</ReversingAllowed>
                                               <Waypoint d:type="bool">0</Waypoint>
                                               <Hidden d:type="bool">0</Hidden>
                                               <ProgressCode d:type="cDeltaString">INSTRUCTION_STATE_INACTIVE</ProgressCode>
                                               <ArrivalTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</ArrivalTime>
                                               <DepartureTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</DepartureTime>
                                               <TickedTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</TickedTime>
                                               <DueTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000046E32840" d:precision="string">12.4439</DueTime>
                                               <RailVehicleNumber>
                                                   <e d:type="cDeltaString">30106</e>
                                                   <e d:type="cDeltaString">30107</e>
                                                   <e d:type="cDeltaString">22497</e>
                                                   <e d:type="cDeltaString">485461</e>
                                                   <e d:type="cDeltaString">22491</e>
                                               </RailVehicleNumber>
                                               <TimingTestTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</TimingTestTime>
                                               <GroupName>
                                                       <English d:type="cDeltaString">five rear covered hoppers</English>
                                                       <Other/>
                                                       <Key d:type="cDeltaString">bde5dbeb-0327-4e99-a3bf-92ba1e6ddc1a</Key>
                                               </GroupName>
                                               <ShowRVNumbersWithGroup d:type="bool">0</ShowRVNumbersWithGroup>
                                               <ScenarioChainTarget d:type="bool">0</ScenarioChainTarget>
                                               <ScenarioChainGUID>
                                                   <cGUID>
                                                       <UUID>
                                                       </UUID>
                                                   </cGUID>
                                               </ScenarioChainGUID>
                                           </cDriverInstructionTarget>
                                       </DeltaTarget>
                                       <OperationOrder d:type="bool">1</OperationOrder>
                                       <FirstUpdateDone d:type="bool">0</FirstUpdateDone>
                                       <LastCompletedTargetIndex d:type="sInt32">-1</LastCompletedTargetIndex>
                                       <CurrentTargetIndex d:type="sUInt32">4294967295</CurrentTargetIndex>
                                       <TargetCompletedTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000E0FFFFEF47" d:precision="string">3.40282e+038</TargetCompletedTime>
                                   </cConsistOperations>

<TargetCompletedTime>, an auto-generated value by the editor, seems like an insanely big number (three hundred and forty undecillion, two hundred and eighty-two decillion) ... as Smokebox had to reduce some injector ControlValues - might it have something to do with this? - just a thought, could be completely unrelated :) (edit: I see this is the max value for a float32, so just a bunch of hex "FF"s, which should be ok...)

Mods: None, tested with and without my coupler slack fix.

Btw thanks for SilverLining (DynamicClouds) update!

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  32. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Can you post these update notes to the Announcements forum as well? That's where I check for news of updates.

33. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I like them here, because we can discuss it.

DTG JD DTG Jamie
    Before you tell us to submit tickets, please understand that we are at a critical point now - do not expect the users investing time filing bug reports which disappear and can't be traced.

I hope you see it as your job as community managers to collect the reports found on the forums and deliver them to the developers. Let's all work together now.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  34. DTG JD

We're doing our best with the information provided to review the feedback, collate it, and send to the team. We're focusing on the 4 areas we've mentioned already initially, and then will assess what is still problematic after.

• Like Like x 6
  35. eldomtom2

I'm not saying don't post them here as well...

36. Vlaxie

Vlaxie New Member

I suppose now might be a good time to inquire about two major issues commonly encountered in this sim, trains sliding downhill and sometimes being invisible when first loaded in:

Has the fix for these issues been considered yet?

37. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Haven't had that issue plus its an modded train not from steam

38. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I have experienced both issues.

The sliding trains are absolutely always happening, even on a flat, once you move the train. Could be doing something with the physics model, counter-forces always being reactive. But you can simply load Canadian Mountain Passes scenario 3 (uphill part 2) which starts uphill, and observe how the signal is 0.02 away but by the time you get the clear, it's well 0.03. You can absolutely see the hillside moving from the cab, or using camera 8, observe the train slowly sliding down.

The invisible trains are probably an optimisation quirk, or a random mistake. Running long Donner Pass scenarios would trigger it often in the past for me (UP F7 with UP ACF), but also the Sherman Hill railfan near Dale. Camera & angle switching often resolves it.

There are many issues that some people didn't have or notice. For example, my machine is particularly fond of letting consists separate, which can be improved by giving couplers some slack. My workaround was to never exceed 25mph with any train including a gondola - on certain routes. Ohio Steel, for some funny reason, is immune. The other documented thing is consist tilting, which isn't just extreme too often, but if you simply attach a scenario with any US gondola clone (coal, steel, rock, waste), it will start with wagons leaning at easy 10-15° angles randomly to the left or right. AI doesn't tilt and also leaving a section of the train behind resets its tilt levels. Save & reload restarts it.

Needless to say, I got smartiepants comments like I must be driving wrong or else, until I documented it with videos, and told others to try.

One similar effect is, experienced pretty much all the time, is driver tension and stiffness building over the course of a scenario. Just load a Class 158, a Kawasaki M8, or virtually any train, take a screenshot, leave the camera, drive for an hour or two, take another screenshot. Also, use Shift+2 and return to the cab. You'll notice the view shifting from its initial position, eventually quite a bit. It's particularly noticeable when it builds so much that the initially visible gauges simply go out of view. Or with the ICE 1, after driving about 20 minutes at high speed, even the slightest turn will cause such an aggressive force reaction that it jumps to an external view. Quite the accomplishment with a center seat EMU.

39. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Active Member

Got a fatal error in 6-6-2023 update:
    - Using vrBR 189 loco on Munich to Garmish route

Error: Fatal error in mode DRIVE during update within SOUND_MANAGER.

Tested a few other locos/routes, no problem.

Attached Files:

40. eldomtom2

In my experience some trains seem to be immune, so there must be some minor detail that's different.

41. robix61

robix61 New Member

Hi.
    Why an home made route works fine with the 32 bit core and doesn't work with the 64 bit core and crashes during loading? (simply the program shuts down and the Steam page appears.
    Before the main update on April everything was OK.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  42. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I've been told about the new update causing significant issues, with some AP packs being partially (Class 37 and 50 throttle and brake levers not working) or fully unusable now (Class 156). I've yet to try the new update but will report back if I get any first hand issues. I expect there are more reports on the ATS Facebook group but I haven't looked. I'm also unsure if the glitches with AP stock are temporary and can be fixed by reinstalling them or are permanent, I'll have to wait and see.

EDIT:
    I checked all three trains mentioned on the 64-bit versions and none of them were broken, so either the reports were caused by other problems, bad luck or the DirextX 12 version which I have been told causes issues, but I haven't checked and probably won't as I don't use it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  43. Vlaxie

Vlaxie New Member

Doesn't matter if it's official DLC or not, It's happening everywhere all the time. I made a thread about it last year but I don't think anyone from DTG saw it

44. kiski

kiski Member

Very true. This problem persists for many years and never been fixed. It is because the train never truly stay still in one place when stop. If you activate ControlStateDialog (you must enable it in game properties in Steam by typing -ShowControlStateDialog) and you´ll see that if you have speedometer controller in loco blueprint, it continuously changing its value, very small changes. It shoud be zero when train stops.
    Funny thing is that this does not happen for AI trains - they just stay still.

image.jpg

It happens even for original DTG content...

image2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Vlaxie

Vlaxie New Member

The issue you mentioned at the end of your post with the camera drifting forward in the cab over time is very real. I fiddled around for a while and found a way to fix this issue and also disable all the momentum/cabin sway effects on the camera for good by changing some values in the cabview file for every loco or train that I use. It's a bit of a process but if you're interested I'll explain how I did it.

• Like Like x 1
  46. DavDzn

DavDzn New Member

I've heard somewhere else, that it's kinda "intended" for the train to be moving at 0mph. It is a way for the engine to detected which is an AI train and which is a player train. As said before, AI trains do stay still. So if the player train also stays still, they game would detected it as an AI train.

I could be wrong, but that's what I heard!

• Like Like x 1
  47. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Well done!
    I am not a fiddler, I did merrily use some fixes and even edited a couple things.
    However, pointing out the settings could help the community. Or even DTG in a later round to review what can they do about it.
    Disabling the sway effects entirely isn't desired, as it can feel too static, of course in a few cases it's the lesser evil.

48. Bristolian

Bristolian Member

Evening everyone,
    Have any of you experienced the AWS Bell not ringing after passing over the 2nd and upwards AWS ramps on a British route?.
    It works fine on passing over the first ramp in a route, but not on subsequent ones.
    The AWS Horn doesn't seem to be affected by this.

Thank you.

49. kiski

kiski Member

Well, a pretty dumb way of detection I must say, if it´s true...

50. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

There are a number of issues people have reported with the update, but you'll need to be more specific. Which train(s) and/or routes are you having issues with, and with which version?
    IMG_1102.png
    Alan Thomson has wise words when it comes to the latest update. I'm told by friends it's a catastrophe, although I've yet to experience any issues myself.
    Perhaps, but remember this was a game being developed when the PlayStation 2 was still king of consoles - it is inevitable that had TS been developed today it would have been made differently.

• Like Like x 2