PC Any New Updates Or Content Or Anything?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nne4229, Jan 4, 2020.

1. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

2020 is here, what to expect?

2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I predict there will be content in 2020 ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

I can quite honestly predict.. no editor, no steam Loco, no electric loco for GWE, so delete wires or what of them there is.
    Not much informative news from management, though what they afraid of??? With trainsimcz active in keeping TSW alive they ought to kiss his #$% and thank him for keeping interest in TSW going.
    Also I see new routes, more reliance on trainsimcz to keep interest and new stuff coming, what a year of disaster 2019 would have been without his .pak files. A longer route perhaps GWE extended to Swindon or Bristol with a Azuma running on it..... etc etc

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

DTG has been away for Christmas for a while. They are back now. We might see a route teaser next month.

5. hightower

hightower Guest

Year of disaster?!

You need to get out more.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

New DLC21 has been added to internal testing branch, so in near future there will be new article.
    About 2-3 weeks for Loco-Addon, 3-6 weeks for Route-Addon

7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have managed to struggle through the disaster of 2019 with TSW, although I don't know how!

I suspect we shall see new DLC announced pretty soon. If I recall last year got off slowly although I think the pre-Christmas period had had a bigger flurry of activity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

There were a couple of DLCs I really enjoyed in 2019, but I was disappointed with the American offerings; One route and one locomotive DLC. I don't think just one American route and locomotive a year is enough to sustain the American market. TS2020 had around 15 new American DLCs in 2019, so TSW is still a long way behind TS2020.

The only major update to the game itself was the introduction of Mastery, which turned out to be a failure; There's been no fix for it and no additional content for it with previous or subsequent DLCs. It's almost TSW's 3rd anniversary and we still haven't got a steam locomotive or the Editor, and we're still limited to just a handful of DLC each year.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Ding

Ding Member

Personally, I'm hoping for more German (or Austrian, maybe Swiss) DLC this year as I really enjoyed all the German DLC so far.
    I feel for my European friends though that don't have content from their respective countries yet.

Anyway I am really excited for 2020, maybe we'll get the German class 111 as I think it was quite popular in TS - or a route based around the south of Germany and Austria/Switzerland maybe. I'd be excited to see the Alps rendered in UE4.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Mastery is working for me.

11. Digital Draftsman

• Like Like x 4
  12. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

After walking around RSN and MSB I just can´t wait for some DB-diesel to use all the modelled areas of industries and harbour, I could pay good for a loco DLC covering shunting services for RSN, MSB and RRO. So, please DTG, let 2020 be the year of german diesel shunter.

• Like Like x 3
  13. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

Humm let me visit my post again.... hummm no mention of year of disaster
    I don't think I'm the one who needs to go out more.
    So in conclusion "If you can't think of anything appropriate to say you will please restrict your remarks to the weather."

• Like Like x 1
  14. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Christmas is over, New Years is done with .. where’s some new info or content? tsw2020 has no 2020 content lol

15. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

We all know new DLC will come, we just have no clue what it will be and when it will appear and Dovetail don't normally give anything away until just before announcing it either.

Personally, I think they should spend their time and energy working on bug fixes in the current DLC before releasing anything else.

16. Anthony Pecoraro

Every DLC release comes with bug fixes and updates to older content.

17. Digital Draftsman

Every DLC also comes with new bugs to replace the old bugs! How many months will we have to wait for the signalling to be fixed on ECW? Or will it never be fixed, like the signalling on NEC?

18. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Or the TGV "Pro" train? It has been far too long.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Very true. Just to add though, this can be the case with all programs not just TS and TSW (in case someone thinks we're picking on the devs) which is why I think DT need to put a little pause on new releases and have a good go at fixing what's there already. For example, there's plenty of suggestions from users in other threads about how to fix broken DLC like NEC.

20. hightower

hightower Guest

Except, of course, you used those exact words.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
  21. Digital Draftsman

I can accept that some bugs get through testing without detection, where the user performs actions that the developer couldn't have anticipated. As you say, this happens to all developers, but it's not the case with most of DTG's bugs. With ECW, every single time the QA team played a scenario or service that ended at Eastbourne they would have seen the incorrect aspect displayed on the banner repeater, yet they presumably failed to pick up on it, either that or they did and DTG deciede to release it in a broken state. It's such an obvious bug that I'm surprised no one else outside the QA team picked up on it during development, Yet the software is released broken and without a fix.

They get away with releasing broken software because they have no competitor in the market. If they had a competitor, these bugs and the lack of fixes would be costing them dearly.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Anthony Pecoraro

It could be a known bug that is on the list to do. ECW hasn’t had a patch yet.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

The best and most funny example of this is probably the BR146.2 tutorial that was advertised as fixed in the last patch but actually got broken in a different way. High level of QA here, as always from DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  24. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Also the sound bug of the 155 in tunnels still not fixed. Amateurs.

25. Anthony Pecoraro

Why did this thread turn into “Let’s bash DTG again”?

26. Digital Draftsman

When people have paid money for these products, discover they are broken and then have to wait months or years for a patch, they get upset with DTG. That's why.

If DTG start to take more care with their QA and dedicate more resources to bug fixing than creating new DLC, they will find the public opinion of their brand improves.

• Like Like x 5
  27. theorganist

It will happen in every thread. These forums are getting monotonous to be honest, some people seem to just like wallowing in misery. It is almost as if they have a personal problem with DTG!

• Like Like x 3
  28. Ads?
    They continue to launch addons for TS.
    What did they create TSW for?
    I think a company that competes with itself is (consequently) constantly in conflict with itself.

29. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

TS will always have content added to it so that users can continue to enjoy this sim. This game was built on a old gaming engine now that cannot be modified without rewriting the entire thing.

So that is why DTG created TSW to give gamers more reality and have the ability to do things that are not possible in TS.

As far as the competing part they doing something that no other train sim offers, so in a sense they competing with others not themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Digital Draftsman

That's why not having an Editor is a real shot in the foot for TSW. If there was an Editor for TSW many of the TS2020 third party developers would have started developing for TSW, but because there is no Editor they continue to develop for TS2020. In 2019 there were more than 70 DLCs for TS2020, and that's only on Steam, for TSW in 2019 there were just 11. If you include non-Steam and freeware DLCs then there would be well over 10x the amount of content for TS2020 compared to TSW, and that's not including the huge back catalog of DLC for TS2020.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Everyone sees things in their own way.
    I see a basic inability to manage resources.
    But it's just my opinion.;)

32. Anthony Pecoraro

There is an editor for TSW, it’s just not public yet.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Certainly, the miracles (sometimes) happen.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  34. Ding

Ding Member

Honestly, in most game-related forums I frequent the people in there somehow really hate the game they're playing... The statements are always the same: The game XYZ is an unplayable buggy mess and the developers are greedy. Yet somehow I am doing fine in all of these games and the people who complain the most are usually the ones with the most hours in that game - funny enough.

Personally I am quite happy with the state of TSW and I am glad that at least ONE company is offering a train simulator based on a new game engine with good graphics and a solid level of realism and complexity for the average player out there.

It's OK to criticize something if it's a) constructive and b) not hostile - there are after all real people working at these companies. Honestly it must be hard working as a developer sometimes: You spend 2-3 years developing a game, dealing with a lot of code, art, 3D models, maps, voice acting, animation, in-game mechanics, stuff I don't even know about, having to hire the people who know how all of this works, getting along with everyone on the team, meeting deadlines, maybe having to deal with a key-person leaving the company close to launch date and then finally you release your work to the public - just to read posts on your forum (from people who probably couldn't do what you and your team is doing) about how everything you made is bad, you are bad, your studio is bad and how you don't know what you are doing. That's certainly a boost to motivation! :(

• Like Like x 15
  35. The problem is that many users are satisfied now exactly as they were satisfied 3 years ago.
    So no particular progress.
    I think this is the biggest criticism. DTG, as well as the users of the forums,
    must also try to understand in some way the mood of the square.

36. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I just have to proclaim: Who cares? I bought and use TSW to "drive" trains, not to collect stuff that I see as worthless. I'm not in any way condemning those who see this stuff as rewarding or in some way valuable, just stating my personal opinion, which is the function of forums.

• Like Like x 3
  37. theorganist

Who is it a problem for that many users are satisfied?

38. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

ECW has to be a route released with the least amount of bugs after launch, which is pretty good.

It hasn’t received any bug fixing updates to it so far but I’m hoping one will come soon.

Hopefully DTG’s old habits of leaving DLC’s, particularly older ones, broken for months or even years on end has died and come to an end.

I know management couldn’t care less about bugs and fixes and are only thinking about maximising revenue but hopefully 2020 will bring new changes and decisions to the table. For the better, I hope.

• Like Like x 3
  39. hightower

hightower Guest

I’d agree, it probably has the least bugs in numbers which is really good news. There are literally only 2 or 3 but unfortunately one of them is a biggie, and really bloody obvious.

The signalling across the whole route just doesn’t work properly. We all know what and why...it’s just disappointing that when it became obvious it was knackered during the route build that steps weren’t taken there and then to sort it. Instead it was intentionally released that way because although it is broken, you can still get from one end to the other.

There is no way the devs missed it, and there’s no way the QA people missed it. As I’ve said before, it’s UK signalling FFS...the thing DTG should have sewn up entirely given their experience.

The DLC is excellent (too short, but excellent nonetheless). That signalling bug is unfortunate, because it tells me at least, that they still aren’t 100% on top of UE4. I was rather hoping big stuff like this would be sorted by now.

• Like Like x 1
  40. I didn't mean that satisfaction is a problem.
    I wanted to say that no striking features have been added since three years ago.
    TSW a rather flat project.

41. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

I'm not sure I understand you, its a train simulator? I think 99% of people are happy with new, regular content and bug fixes. Rather than having gimmicky features added. Maybe I'm just easily pleased!

• Like Like x 2
  42. It depends.
    If by extravagant additions you mean a Editor (even just for scenarios) and a Quick Drive, then yes.

43. theorganist

I obviously am too, but as alluded to in previous threads that makes us not real enthusiasts because we aren't on the forums gnashing our teeth every day.

They are working on the editor, it has been confirmed recently that it is still going ahead. Of course you know they have said this.

As for quick drive, is that necessary, we have service mode, I personally wouldn't have thought there was a particular need for quick drive, certainly not as a priority?

Free roam would be something I would like to see added, where you could potter about in a yard just shunting to your hearts content for example.

44. I'm sorry, but what you think is not in line with what I think. So many heads, so many ideas.
    Give it a reason.

45. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

Other than the editor which is WIP, what would you suggest?

46. VR, multiplayer, Mods.
    Everything users ask for here.
    PS
    Abou the editor.
    Ok it's in development. Hopefully we won't have to wait any longer for a shine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
  47. Anthony Pecoraro

Headsway
    Mastery
    Journeys

48. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say that, but i don't think so.

49. Mastery? Please, I already have enough stomach acid ...

• Like Like x 3
  50. Ding

Ding Member

I think the fact that the editor is (if I get this right) a modified UE4 editor, tailored specifically to TSW, many of the 3rd party developers that create content for TS2020 with the TS2020 tools would have to learn how to work with this new editor first - which is most likely much more complex due to all the new technologies added. I also have the feeling that most people who frequently request the editor being released will feel overwhelmed when actually presented with it. While there are a lot of skilled hobbyists out there I don't think that just "being able to play around with it" will get you anywhere near releasing a finished, working product for TSW.

I don't work in game-design but I do building information modelling (BIM) for a living and the learning curve with these tools is quite steep. Needless to say we usually also work with many people on one project - if it's a bigger building - to get the work done. I imagine it being similar with how DTG is creating content for TSW.

• Like Like x 1