In Cab Visual Deterioration (series X - Post Patch)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pinxtonpaws, Aug 19, 2021.

1. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I also had this on the Peninsula Corridor when driving the Baby Bullet, so it's also not route specific.

Another bug to flag up DTG Natster?

• Like Like x 1
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Definitely, also spotted it myself on MSB, HRR and NEC.

So relieved to know it's not a fault in my system. In case it helps:

-Console: Series X XBOX
    -Monitor: BenQ EW3270U
    -Monitor/Console connection via HDMI Ultra High Speed (2.1) cable included with the console connected to the HDMI 1 port of the monitor.
    -When it happened I had both the Blue Light filter and HDR turned on.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  3. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s on every Route, same with the Graphic are shuttering on the entire Gameplay few seconds like it was posted on the LGV Clip

4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

At least it now seems to remember it when switching from one route to another, so that's....progress?

5. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Active Member

This issue in Rise and Shine actually made me stop playing Ruhr Seig Nord in the original TSW2020, as I couldn't find a soluton. However, after a bit of research, I found that the solution is to push the 'Brake Overcharge' button after releasing the brakes. (see also https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...s-and-pushing-the-throttle.13319/#post-226033)

6. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Just in case I tried uninstalling and reinstalling today.

And it did not work still gets all blurry, and that flicker. Just awful especially because high speed trains are my favourite and they are all broken from 120km/h and up.

They have to fix this right? They wouldn't just leave it like this until next years update?

• Like Like x 1
  7. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Strangely, GWE seems to be ok. I ran a custom scenario with what should have been a BR155 (it loaded a different BR instead) and it was fine. There may be more but I really can't be bothered reinstalling another 85gb to find out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2021
  8. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

I have this issue on PC as well, and as im playing on an old laptop, on 1280x720 it gets like super blurry, i mean a text in the cab becomes a single white line... And it applies for the whole cab you cant see nothing on the speedometer. I noticed this outside as well, when I zoom in. I had no problem on medium-high settings before the update.
    When I pause, it gets back to normal... When I exit the pause menu, instantly blurred again.
    Also get the white flickers on boston route.

Its really does need to be fixed, i havent bothered with the bugs before, but now this IS game breaking.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  9. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

I haven't had that issue. I haven't driven CalTrain since Boston/Providence came out.

10. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

Can we fix the white flicker immediately? That's a certain medical issue for some people. Even though there are warnings with some (or even all games), certain light patterns will trigger epileptic seizures in some people.

I note that you fixed some AC4400CW issue (I haven't checked that out for a bit), but is there a way that we can have independent control of the helpers (putting up the fence), or is that too late to add in? On the prototype, you can do this. For example when I'm stopped going up the hill on Sand Patch, I'd rather have independent control of the helpers (have them start pushing) and then ease off the brakes on the head end. Instead they will respond to what I'm doing on the head end and I don't want this happening.

• Like Like x 3
  11. German_Train_Driver

German_Train_Driver Member

I found that every dashboard is like blinking sometimes on all trains/Loco´s whats that about?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Princess Entrapta

don't get me started on the flickering textures under random dials.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

Ever get the runes on the dash on the Peninsula Corridor? That's what I call it when I use the MP36.

14. fl991r

fl991r Member

I just did a run in GWE and noticed the problem was present. However, unlike the other routes, the low quality textures seemed to pop in and out almost instantly. On the German routes especially I noticed that the textures would go blurry and stay that way for an extended period of time (particularly when maintaining high speed), but on GWE they would flash into low res textures every 30-50 seconds or so and then immediately reset (even while maintaining 125 mph). Of course I wasn't able to play the two at the same time so this comparison may be meaningless as the game could be changing behind the scenes between my play sessions, but if not hopefully this anecdotal information may be useful to someone who knows how the routes differ behind the scenes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Princess Entrapta

This full screen white flicker some are reporting, I wonder if we can compile info like:

Monitor refresh rates.
    Whether VRR is enabled in people's XBox settings.
    Etc.

To see if we can figure why some are getting it and others of us are not.

16. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that the full screen white flicker is also present on another route besides Boston Sprinter.

17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It only happens on TSW, but to be fair it hasn't happened after I uninstalled and reinstalled everything, but I haven't played much since.

18. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Hmm, then I don't know what the crack is..
    Any chance you could try the following: Setup a custom scenario using the DB155 with any combo of freight stock from Reading>London and play the scenario. Instead of the 155 you will get another loco (yeah, 155 useage in custom scenarios is STILL broken) which if memory serves me is the one numerically closest to the 155...but anyhows just run it as it appears.

I ran from Reading to somewhere just past Slough with no glitches whatsoever - and even restarted to make sure it wasn't a one off.

Just to add: The problem isn't just cab specific because if you travel as a passenger then the glitching appears whilst your sat watching the world go by. Talking of passengers, check out this sway:

Boat sim world >>>> https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/142253695

• Like Like x 1
  19. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Absolutely, be my guest (I was hoping somebody would). My mistake though, it was London>Reading (a typo).
    This is what happens on my side: Yeah, yeah, I'm a hypocrite...I reinstalled it last night :cool:

Not the DB BR155 as it should be >>>> https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/142254453

Glitch-free >>>> https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/142254903

20. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

What bad timing! I deleted my post above to edit it with what I found so far but you beat me to it.

Anyway I've done part of the journey (about 10 minutes) you can find it here

https://www.twitch.tv/fd1003/v/1125033871?sr=a&t=1087s

It's just raw footage and you will have to skip ahead, I will edit it and post it to YT afterwards, now I'm currently streaming the full journey.

There doesn't seem to be any permanent degradation, but every ~20s there is that flickering. My best guess would be, given the regularity of those flickers it's either when it loads the next "tile" of world it messes with the cab, or it's happens every few seconds. I will try to reduce my speed and see if it flickers less regularly, that should indicate that it's triggered by distance.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

You guys should look at the DB 112 and 143 how blurred and pixelig all the textures looking at the Führerstand.
    It’s ridiculous

• Like Like x 2
  22. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

So I've concluded my very primitive testing and I am 90% sure the texture flickering is cause by distance, you can check out my stream or play to verify my results

https://www.twitch.tv/fd1003/v/1125054805?sr=a&t=0s

I tried to go at different speeds and noticed a pattern.
    (Every "lap" is an instance of the textures getting low-res and then getting back to normal)
    Screenshot_20210821-151716_Clock.jpg These are 3 times the textures popped while going at 80 km/h
    Screenshot_20210821-152237_Clock.jpg
    This is at 160 km/h

Apart from a "missing" flicker between 2 and 3 (maybe as I'm getting close to London?) they seem to follow a pretty obvious pattern.

It happens after ~1km of travel. I believe it's tied with the loading of the route, hopefully it will be fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  23. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

^ That's deep ^ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. cjm#5741

cjm#5741 Member

I've tried multiple routes and it seems better/worse on some.

For example on GWE the textures are clear and detailed until the flicker/reload of the textures for a split second then its fine again until that happens. Whereas on SEHS the class 375's textures get massively blurred out a good 10/20s before that flicker/texture reload and then repeats.

Thought I would be able to put up with it but it's getting more annoying as time goes on. Shame

The above post about it being down to when the next tile loads in seems correct but I haven't done any testing to that level.

• Like Like x 2
  25. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

My 1km theory seems valid for Rapid Transit as well. No permanent degradation, but flickering every kilometer.
    20210821_182726.jpg 20210821_182751.jpg 20210821_182810.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  26. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

DTG Natster we need talk about this finally to be fixed.
    It’s annoying and ridiculous how the core update broke the entire Graphics and Textures on Xbox.
    Looked right and left site for this issue on this Loco, it’s on every route and train.

• Like Like x 2
  27. fl991r

fl991r Member

I'm sorry, I don't have the 155 so I couldn't do it. But I did make the scenario you suggested with the class 45 from NTP and had the texture flickering from clear to blurry happen 3 times in 2 miles out of Reading going 45 mph. I know the "distance to next stop" marker is showing a direct distance and not track distance so the measurement is not exact but the once every 1 km theory is starting to make sense to me. And it also makes sense that I measured flickering once every 30-50 seconds running the HST because my speeds were varying. Don't know why the texture goes blurry and stays blurry on the German routes (and SEHS) though.

• Like Like x 1
  28. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

Yeah i seen that on stream. Thats bad likes. New software normally things better not worse.

29. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I too have noticed the regular blurriness on XBSX. With that and the already existing audio popping issues, the latest update is a welcome but bittersweet experience. I would be tempted to go back to PC, but the Series X is just a great little package and so quiet. My PC by comparison sounds like a Roomba once I start playing a game. :|

• Like Like x 3
  30. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

As I was trying to gather a bit more info to submit a ticket I've tried the (actual) BR155 on Main Spessart Bahn and there the texture problem seems much more infrequent than RT, GWE and NEC also there is no permanent degradation.
    Also on a more positive note I've noticed the texture quality on the BR155 has increased massively (when it works), numbers that were barely readable are now much crispier.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  31. cjm#5741

cjm#5741 Member

I hope they fix it soon. Completely breaks immersion

• Like Like x 4
  32. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

They pointed out this issue in one of the streams but released it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Same with the head-on loco views in the menu screen. Not supposed to be there but it is anyway.

34. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

Can we actually say that? I laughed.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

Might need to run LGV, since that's a 30 minute route.

36. Class158Perkinsguy

Class158Perkinsguy Member

Yeah it is a bit weird, i spend a lot of time in cab so it's been a bit nasty. Nevermind, always the slow (er) routes.

37. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

you mean because of World War 2?

38. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I don't think the length/time of route matters, I had the white screen flicker several times within minutes of setting off in the Baby Bullet.

• Like Like x 2
  39. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

LGV is one of the worst for the distorted cab you can't read the number on the TVM and all the labels on the desk are un readable.

• Like Like x 3
  40. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Confirmed in the baby bullet. Details go blurry very briefly in different parts of the cab before reverting to normal. Great that the water is back, but not at the expense of something else being a mess.

41. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Just to throw something else into the mix....framerates.

I've been seeing some very noticeable drops on SEHS, TVL, HMA, WSR and more noteably this on NTP:
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/142335820

What annoys me more than anything was Matt openingly stating on one of the pre-launch streams that during his time on Series X framerates have generally been a rock solid, stable 60fps so I'm wondering exactly how he came to that conclusion because where I come from sub 30fps is neither rock solid nor stable. Maybe it's just Boston that guarantees stability and we get what we get with everything else... I really don't know. One thing I do know though is that I absolutely hate being deceived.

The sad thing is, I was in the process of readying up an entirely different clip (for a friend) and only went outside the cab to pass a little time away so it wasn't even difficult to find.

• Like Like x 3
  42. cjm#5741

cjm#5741 Member

Is there a way for us to get this put onto the player reports section on the announcements thread? I'm new here so not sure of the process.

• Like Like x 1
  43. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Stop ignoring our Major Xbox Graphic and Textures Bug.
    It’s really game breaking.

• Like Like x 1
  44. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The best thing we can do is send a support ticket and try to keep these threads alive without spamming. As long as enough people are bothered by the problem and if they know how to fix it it should be fine, hopefully.

There have been similar problems in the past on PC, fixed by tweaking some settings, so hopefully it's a similar problem.

For example look at this
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ska-blury-cab-textures-at-speed.26276/#post-169583

Or this
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/blurry-and-popping-of-textures.29613/#post-199525

Knowing consoles it surely is not matter of turning off a settings from their side... if it was that simple I'm sure this mistake wouldn't have been made in the first place, right?

P.S. There are other bigger problems on other platforms, which I believe have taken priority, mainly crashes on PC and download issues on PS. I'd say to wait one or two weeks, hopefully at that point our problem should be acknowledged.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Glazier

Glazier Member

They probably will. As I said in other thread it is a known problem with DX12 in the game that is why it is still officially unsupported. And now the game runs in DX12 on new consoles.
    It was always like this for at least 2 years I am into this game. You can mitigate it a bit by "r.TextureStreaming=0" in Engine.ini and playing with other options, and this is what will probably be done by DTG on consoles, but it does not help completely, the LOD jumps to the worst level on every tile load and as your avatar does not move in cab - remain on the lowest possible level.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's strange how this problems seems xbox-only though, on PS it seems like everything is fine (apart from the downloads obviously).

Also I hope they won't just bodge those settings and call it a day if it's not a "real" fix and will still cause annoying issues.

[Off Topic:
    Every day I am ever closer to selling my xbox to get a new PC :( what a stupid decision I made some years ago to switch to console...]

47. Glazier

Glazier Member

Yeah, but as the symptoms are 99.9% the same as on PC DX12, the reason is probably same too.
    Also, will download the game on my Series S and check for myself... because why not :D

• Like Like x 1
  48. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

Dx12 is owned by Microsoft it can't run on playstation to my knowledge. The graphics degradation needs to be fixed for sure on x box . It's really annoying .

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

In those moments were hell is raised on earth, you're fighting half of an entire army or beating the track record of the Nordschleife (even if it might just be your personal one) or just drive some trains around the world whilst relaxing on your sofa with some refreshments of your choice... you realize your decision has had some benefits as well :)

Back to topic: I hope as it seems to be a DX12 issue there is a solution within the next months. I noticed it especially on LGV which is quite a shame since the route probably profited the most of the update...

• Like Like x 1
  50. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

You can do all that (and more) with a PC as well. I have an i5 laptop (with a wired Xbox controller) connected to HDMI 2 and sat very neatly under my TV for 'alternative' gaming moments. In fact, the only thing that I cannot do on my laptop that I can do on my console is purchase insanely overpriced content from a closed digital marketplace :cool:. Orcs Must Die 3 for £7.00 (as opposed to £25.00)...living the dream :)

• Like Like x 1