Bring Train Sim World To The Land Down Under

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sgt. Seymour Skinner, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Sgt. Seymour Skinner Active Member

G’day all,

Of course as an Australian I’d like to see a recreation of an iconic Australian line in the Unreal graphics of Train Sim World. My choice would be the historic Main Western Line which crosses a section of the Great Dividing Range known as the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney NSW. I did not pick this line just because I’m a Sydneysider myself but also due to the vast variety of operations and operating conditions that are crammed into this short length of track, which I think simmers from all around the world will enjoy. From the Penrith suburban yard at 100’ elevation to the East, the line sees trains from electric interurbans to transcontinental luxury passenger & freight trains battle grades up to 3.2% to a height of 3,584’ just past Bell station. Up there the conditions range from snow in winter to temperatures so high in summer the rails buckle. (As can be seen in this video) The line then makes the western descent through the ‘Ten Tunnels Deviation’ down to the locomotive depo at Lithgow.

Another important feature of the line (at least for me and surely it must help in development) is that route maps, track diagrams, operating manuals, division specific operating instructions and even engineering standards are freely available online.

Below I’ve done my best to showcase all the beautiful points of interest and diverse range of trains on the line. Throughout the post I’ve also included links to videos and the source location of all the great photos I found from some very talented individuals on the internet.

Let’s start with the trains. The line is a vital connection between the whole of Australia west of Sydney and the ports of eastern NSW. Passengers, coal, grain and ore are hauled over these mountains in the trains below.

The Indian Pacific
    Australia’s Luxury Transcontinental Passenger Service between Sydney and Perth. The train is so long that it takes up 2 platforms at Sydney’s Central Station.

[​IMG]
    The Indian Pacific snaking over the Blue Mountains with only 4,200km to go till its final destination of Perth

[​IMG]
    The East bound Indian Pacific approaching the Blue Mountains from the West

The XPT
    Australia’s derivative of the British HST, the XPT operates as the Central West Express which passes over the Blue Mountains twice daily on its 462km journey to the regional town of Dubbo. Also once a year an extra XPT service is chartered over the line taking 100s of Elvis impersonators to the annual Elvis festival in the town of Parkes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Central West XPT below the Zig Zag viaducts

The Xplorer
    One of these DMUs (Known as the Outback Xplorer) runs via this route twice weekly to the very regional town of Broken Hill in far west NSW (1,123km away). It also sometimes runs to Dubbo when the XPT is full of Elvises.
    [​IMG]
    The Scharfenberg couplers are covered on the Outback Xplorer service due to the large number of wildlife strikes on the western plains of outback NSW.

The Endeavour
    Almost identical to the Xplorers (except for the interior layout) are the Endeavours which make a twice daily trip to Bathurst known as the Bathurst Bullet. A great photo of The Bathurst Bullet at Sydneys Central Station and one of it arriving at Mt Victoria Station in thick fog can be found here and here.

[​IMG]
    The Bathurst Bullet bound for Sydney, about to commence the steep climb out of Lithgow

The V-Sets
    Part of the interurban fleet since the 1970s these sets of up to 8 cars run up the line every hour. They stop at the 23 stations of the line, carrying almost 30,000 people to and from the city each day. These sets are now mainly seen on this line partly due to the fact the newer trains are too wide to fit through the narrow sections of the ‘Ten Tunnels’.
    [​IMG]
    Seen here in the snow at Blackheath during the winter of 2015

The 82 Class
    Often seen in consists of 4 in front of some very large coal trains (best enjoyed very loud) from the western coalfields. The 3,250Hp prime mover is a similar version to that of the British Rail Class 66.
    [​IMG]
    Just West of Lithgow four 82s haul an empty coal train from the Port of Newcastle to the coal fields at Lidsale

[​IMG]
    Quad 82s lead an empty coal train through Mt Victoria Station

The 81 Class
    Despite being little more than a box on wheels this locomotive has been a favourite of mine since I was a kid. With a more powerful version of the GP38-2 and SD40-2 prime mover it performs a wide variety of freight duties from flour, grain and coal to XPTs.
    [​IMG]
    Triple 81s lead an ore train past Hartley Vale between Bell and Mt Victoria.

[​IMG]
    An 81 class rescues a failed XPT

The GT46C-ACE
    Mainly seen hauling grain hoppers for SSR the GT46C-ACE is built with an EMD 710 engine similar to that in the SD75.
    [​IMG]
    Two GT46C-ACEs climbing the steep 3% grade between Springwood and Faulconbridge

The C44aci
    Built to fulfil the duties of a heavy coal hauler and fast intermodal locomotive, the C44aci uses a similar engine to the AC4400CW and is regularly seen in front of coal trains and the Fletchers International Export Train from Dubbo down the Main Western to Port Botany.
    [​IMG]
    Three SSR C44aci locomotive head an empty coal train past the former site of Hartley Vale Station bound for the Clarence Coal Loader

The NRs
    Also known by its catchier name, Cv40-9i, it is the older brother to the C44aci. The NR Class has been pulling the Indian Pacific and transcontinental freight trains over the Great Dividing Range for the last 20 years.
    [​IMG]
    NR19 leads the Indian Pacific past Mt Victoria down grade towards Sydney

Historical Trains
    Operations on this historic line date way back into the steam era with a vast number of locomotives having travelled its distance in this time. Some of the more famous locomotives are listed below.

Originally The Central West Express was hauled by steam locomotives such as those from the 36 & 38 class. 3801, arguably one of Australia’s most famous locomotives was one of these and could be seen pulling the train up until the late 1960s. The locomotive is currently nearing the end of a major overhaul including a full boiler reconstruction with Transport Heritage NSW. Hopefully after March 2018 it will make a return to the line.
    [​IMG]
    3801 in March 2007

[​IMG]
    3801 below Zig Zag on the Main West Line and a low quality video

[​IMG]
    3801 at Mt Victoria Station

[​IMG]
    3801 in front of the Megalong Valley near Mt Boyce

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 56
  2. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

The 36 Class
    Another hauler of The Central West Express, 3642 was most recently seen in the Blue Mountains this year as part of the lines 150th birthday celebration.
    [​IMG]
    3642 passing Mt Victoria Station

[​IMG]
    3642 steaming up grade towards Katoomba

The Garratts
    Australia’s Garratt, the AD60 class played a significant role in freight operations on the main western line up to the 1960s. With a tractive effort of 63,490lbf it rivalled and exceed that of many diesel locomotives of its time.
    [​IMG]
    6029 on the Main West Line at Bathurst

[​IMG]
    AD6029 at Zig Zag

The 421 Class
    The line also use to be home to some of New South Wales bulldog nose locomotives built in the 50s and 60s. The 421 class was one of the last of these kind of locomotives and was based out of Lithgow between 1970 and 1982. Operating west as far as Broken Hill the locomotive also hauled the Indian Pacific until it was restationed to the Main South Line due to poor ride quality. There are still two 421s in operation today, one with Eveleigh historical society and the other with freight company Aurizon.
    [​IMG]
    A consist of 3 streamliners, 42101, 4486 & 4464

The 86 class
    The last of the NSW electric locomotives (withdrawn in 2002) the 86 Class packed up to 4,400hp making it the most powerful in Australia at the time. I’ve been told that one loaded coal train pulled down grade by 86s in dynamic braking could put enough energy back into the grid to pull an empty coal train back up.
    [​IMG]
    8620 hauls a coal train up grade near Mt Victoria

Points of Interest
    From Penrith to Lithgow the Main West Line has bridges, tunnels, cuttings, viaducts, 24 stations, zigs zags, coal loaders and multiple other features to enjoy. I’ve found photos for as many as I could below.

[​IMG]
    The Nepean River Crossing on the lead up to the eastern slope of the Great Dividing Range. The bridge is just west of Penrith Station which once housed helper locomotives for the steep eastern grade. The locomotive depot is now a stabling yard for suburban trains reaching the end of their network.

[​IMG]
    The old Knapsack Viaduct, part of the Lapstone Zig Zag that originally climbed the Eastern side of the Blue Mountains

[​IMG]
    The current viaduct just downstream of the original

[​IMG]
    The Indian pacific climbs the 1.7% grade of the Glenbrook Gorge just before the New Glenbrook Tunnel

[​IMG]
    The old Glenbrook Tunnel was the first attempt to bypass the Lapstone Zig Zag in 1892. Unfortunately it soon ran into difficulties with poor ventilation and a constant 3% grade causing trains to stall and retreat to the east entrance for fresh air. This was the cause of an accident in 1908 when 2 trains collided at the east tunnel mouth. It was replaced in 1913 with the current deviation.

[​IMG]
    Further down the line at Valley Heights stands the oldest remaining roundhouse in NSW. Opened in 1914 to house helper locomotives that assisted trains up the steep grade (up to 3.2%) to Katoomba. It is currently home to Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum.

[​IMG]
    The town of Katoomba is home to the famous Three Sisters formation in the Jamison Valley

[​IMG]
    Built in 1904 on a cliff overlooking the Megalong Valley, the Hydro Majestic Hotel sits just across the road from the Main West Line.

[​IMG]
    The Megalong Valley

[​IMG]
    Passing Blackheath the line gives rise to spectacular views of the Megalong Valley

[​IMG]
    The Megalong Valley at Sunset

[​IMG]
    The Indian Pacific passes Mt Boyce with the Megalong Valley off to the left, 1995.

[​IMG]
    Mt Victoria Station & Signal Box (which is still functioning) opened in 1869. Also on the site was a locomotive depot which housed the crew and locomotives that made the steep descents towards Lithgow. The area is now used to store surplus V-sets.

[​IMG]
    With continuous views of the Megalong Valley to the left and the Grose Valley to the Right 3526, 3642 and 3830 steam over the Darling Causeway between Mt Victoria and Bell.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 24
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

[​IMG]
    Locomotives GM10, S302, GM27 and 44204 fly over the Darling Causeway on their way to Western NSW

[​IMG]
    Just before Newnes Junction Is the turnoff to the Clarence Colliery Balloon Loop. The colliery extracts approximately 2 million tonnes of coal per year. I think the balloon colliery track will make for quite an interesting scenario, where you drive an empty train up the grade from the east, load up on the loop and drive it back down grade to the east again.

[​IMG]
    Tunnels 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the Ten Tunnels Deviation which descends the 1.0 - 2.4% western slope. Constructed to replace the western Zig Zag in 1910.

[​IMG]
    The deviation runs for 7 kilometres and consists of ten (obviously) tunnels varying in length from 79 to 1,553 meters. It also has a 61 metre deep cutting which is the deepest on the NSW rail system. A drivers view video through the tunnels and past Zig Zag can be found here.

[​IMG]
    The Zig Zag railway was the original way down the western side of the range until the completion of the ten tunnels deviation (which can be seen curving to the right in the bottom centre of the image). The railway was still in operation until very recently when it was severely damaged by a bush fire. It is currently scheduled to reopen for tourist operations late this year.

[​IMG]
    Completed in 1869 the Zig Zag alone has 6 stations, 3 viaducts, is 7km long and has a ruling grade of 2.4%

[​IMG]
    The challenging design of the Zig Zag unfortunately did cause a number of incidents. Including the one shown above where a train lost its brakes and crashed through the buffer stop at Top Points to end up suspended off the edge of a cliff. Fortunately the crew jumped clear of the train before the incident and were uninjured.

[​IMG]
    On the western side of the range, Lithgow Loco was a large locomotive maintenance facility on the east side of Lithgow Township. Unfortunately the maintenance facility was closed down in 2003 with the privatisation of the network. Although the facility does still exist today and is used for the maintenance of freight rolling stock. SSR in partnership with Lithgow State Mine Railway do run a smaller locomotive maintenance facility off a branch line not too far from here.

[​IMG]
    Opened in 1915 the round house survived into the 1980s

Documentation
    As mentioned in the introduction The Main West Line also has route maps, track diagrams, operating manuals, division specific operating instructions and even engineering standards freely available from the Transport for NSW website.

One of the maps showing the section of the line between Valley Heights in Springwood

A Table showing tonnage ratings for the western run to Lithgow

The track diagram showing the run from Bell through the Ten Tunnels to Zig Zag

A page from the Track Geometry and Stability engineering standards defining sections of curves

Grades between Penrith and Lithgow

Well that’s about all the reasons to recreate the line that I can think of for the moment. Hopefully you agree with me that the Main West Line, with dozens of historic stations, 2 very challenging climbs, 2 round houses, a coal loader, spectacular views, cuttings, causeways, viaducts, an operating zig zag, multiple tunnels, an incredibly large variety of rolling stock, snow, heat, route maps and a rich history, will make a valuable addition to Train Sim World.

As a further note I will of course be willing to help with the getting resources, photographs etc. if you do consider making this line in the future.

Cheers,
    Jason

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 45
  4. Nox

Nox Member

It does look interesting, although the route you suggest is something like 800 miles long (HH and GWE are both relatively short, far under 100 miles) I wonder which part DTG would create. Hopefully the busiest bit! Got my vote anyway, I'd be interested in trying this route out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Well I don't know whether DTG will ever do an Australian line but thanks for the great photos and info.

As with all routes the acid test is always going to be how many people will buy the route to pay for all the work required to create the route. I suspect it may be more a case of some third party creating it, especially the scenery, once DTG finally release the route editor(s) and then selling it through DTG.

6. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

No worries and thanks guys, it was certainly good fun going through all the great photos that are out there.

Actually all of those photos (a couple of exceptions where there were limited photos of a particular loco available) are taken on the Main Western between Penrith and Lithgow. The track distance between them being 62 miles.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

DTG should definitely consider making this route for Train Sim World, personally I believe that the route from Penrith to Lithgow would be an excellent first Australian route for TSW.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

If this was built for TSW I'd purchase it in a fit! Wouldn't even be fussed about which era they modeled nor the type of traction used, although just thinking about the possibilities for DLC for this route alone has me salivating.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Harmer

Harmer New Member

Nicely presented SSS! of course I'm biased as I take that trip from Blacktown to Katoomba around once a month.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

What a fantastic in depth suggestion :)

Almost tempted to get the devs to drop the in development route in favour of this considering how much effort you've put into it!

I will get this over to the guys and we'll keep it in mind for one of our future developments.

Thanks for the suggestion, great read.

- Jay

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

The in development route? Do go on. ;)

12. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Probably a german route which will be announced soon

13. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

something about your HST variant intrigues me, maybe the paint scheme - screw it, i want it now. thanks alot dude ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Australia is pretty darn cool, I love the mix of American and English ways of doing trains. It's the only country where you can see an HST variant and a Dash 9 variant in the same place. I could even see Australia as worthy of being part of the big 3 of North America, the UK, and Europe. It is an entire continent after all, full of opportunity and clearly with a big fanbase. If TS were to add another continent to the big 3, Australia would be the place to go.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, Its great to see that there's so much support for an Australian route out there!

Jay, how much more effort would it take for you to drop the 'almost' from that sentence? :p ...cos i'll do it. Thanks for the comment and I look forward to the up and coming DLCs and hopefully driving down this route in TSW some time in the future.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  16. shane_4_lisa

shane_4_lisa New Member

Id pay for this route if DTG would only answer our calls for an Australian route. I posted this Discussion on steams Train Simulator > General Train Simulator Discussions > Topic Details Section go have read of all the comments theres 193

( Australian Content For TS2016 & beyond
    I as a Rail fan live in N.S.W. Australia and am kinda bored of all the American and European Routes and Rolling stock. It would be nice and exciting to be able to purchase Australian content such as the InterCity XPT the CountryLink XPT or the Explorer or Endevaour rail cars also would be exciting to see the Western portion of the Sydney Suburban and Interurban route starting at Lithgow in the NSW Blue Mountains to Sydney Central in the City of Sydney plus the Circular Quey Loop with such rolling stock as the S sets, the K sets, the Tangara's T & G sets, the V sets , the old 1940s Red Rattlers, the M sets, the A sets, the H sets, and also would be nice to see the Ghan or the Indian Pacific with the NR class in their respective liveries. Would also like to see scenarios for the route that real train drivers on the route experience every day. would also like to see both Coal and Freight trains with different Locos such as the 81 class the 82 class the 442 class the 44 class the 46 class the 86 class the 42 class and the 48 class all in previous and to date colour schemes and/or liveries. From the first release of Train Simulator with TS2012 to the upcoming release of TS2016 all versions have only ever had American and European content and i believe that adding another continent to their collection more and more people will purchase the Sim and previous owners will have a new found love for trains as they experience wat Australia has to offer not only with the numerous amount of colourful and different rollingstock but also the numerous amount of routes conveying their beautiful countrysides their cities and their scenery. )

I posted this before TSW was released for train simulator but if DTG can create the line from Central to Penrith and then later Penrith to Lithgow as a DLC or release the route as a whole i wouldnt care how much it cost because i will definetly be getting my moneys worth.

P.S. add me on steam ( shane_4_lisa )

• Like Like x 1
  17. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

What about Western Australia Pilbara Iron? Long trains in the desert. Cool fact: the longest train ever recorded was on the route.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cosmo

cosmo Active Member

Thumbs up for the XPT alone tbh. :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Excellent presentation! I hope at least a part of this route will receive serious consideration, and make it to the development stage at some future date. I would certainly buy it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

G’day again everyone! As it has been over a year since I made this post and with the extra bit of interest in the last couple of months what better time for a cheeky bump.

Another good reason to revive this thread is SBS Australia’s recent release of their slow TV special ‘The Indian Pacific’ which contains absolutely spectacular footage of the train ‘The Indian Pacific’ crossing the country. This journey also happens to include the section of The Main West Line I originally suggested in this thread.

The show goes for almost 3 hours so for those who don’t enjoy slow TV as much as I do I’ve highlighted and linked you to some of the best bits below:

My favourite scene in the program has to be the train passing over the Darling Causeway with the camera tracking it and panning out to show the mountains behind. This scene starts here.
    [​IMG]

A bit further down the line the train passes the Megalong Valley. This is captured magnificently here.
    [​IMG]

The next shot is between Newnes Junction and Bell capturing the train just after emerging from the 10 Tunnels as it nears the summit of the range. This can be viewed here.
    [​IMG]

The last aerial shot captures the Jamison Valley. The Indian Pacific is in the foreground resisting the 3% grade through Wentworth Falls as it makes its way down the range to Sydney. This shot starts here.
    [​IMG]

These next shots, despite not being in my proposed section of the Main West Line are taken on this line just west of the Blue Mountains and are too excellent to not be mentioned. Hopefully they will also drum up a bit more excitement for the development of an Australian route.

Just south of Bathurst The Indian Pacific approaches the small town of Perthville in the early morning. You can view this here.
    [​IMG]

Climbing the 2.5% grade of the Raglan Bank the train approaches some early morning fog. This can be seen here.
    [​IMG]

The train is lost within the fog here.
    [​IMG]

Well restricting myself a little that’s all the highlights I will include in this post. If these shots are not enough for you though I highly recommend going back and watching the whole 3 hours from start to finish. Best viewed with a lot of snacks and a drink in hand of course. If somehow even that is not enough Australian railroad action for you then there is also a 17 hour version! This can be found on the SBS website but might unfortunately be geoblocked to Australia.

Other than The Indian Pacific, over this time I have also collected many other images and videos of trains using the Main West. So I’ll take this opportunity to share them with you now.

The first is of one of my favourite trains running out west, the Fletchers grain train. In this video the awesome sound of these three 4,400HP locomotives can be experienced. The video can be found here.

This train also features heavily in a couple of episodes of the show ‘Railroad Australia’. This program can be found online with the Fletcher train and spectacular shots of the Main West Line featured in episodes one and two of season two.
    [​IMG]

Here 3 SSR C44aci locomotives haul an empty coal train through Rhondda Valley. This image was found here.
    [​IMG]

The Kanimbla Valley with building storms in the distance. Photographed from an 82 Class ahead a coal train between Mt Victoria and Blackheath. This excellent photo can be found here.
    [​IMG]

The Indian Pacific with 2 NR Class locomotives leading makes its way through Werrington towards Sydney. This image was found here.
    [​IMG]

Preserved Garratt 6029 chuffs up grade through Faulconbridge. This image was found here.
    [​IMG]

Locomotive 4204 leads the Rylstone Rocket through Rhondda Valley. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

Locomotive 42103 now leads the Rylstone Rocket through Bell on its return to Sydney. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

Steam locomotives 3001, 3642 and 5910 lead a historic rail tour up Soldiers Bank. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

Steam locomotives 3001, 3642 and 5910 lead a historic rail tour down Soldiers Bank. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

The Indian Pacific heads West through Clarence. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

Four 81 class locomotives hold back the Manildra flour train on its descent through Wentworth Falls. Its final destination being Nowra. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

The three Fletcher locomotives head West through Blaxland with empty containers ready to be loaded at its destination of Dubbo. This image can be found here.
    [​IMG]

I have also taken some photos of my own this year. Starting on the 9th of January the Regional City of Parkes host the annual Elvis Festival. To get there 2 trains, The Elvis Express and Blue Suede Express both loaded with Elvis impersonators begin their journey at Sydney’s Central station. This year I made the effort to go and see what it was all about.

[​IMG]
    Excellent footage of the Blue Suede express making its way to Parkes can be found here. With the return journey here.

Well that’s about it for now, I hope you have enjoyed my little update on my Main Western Line suggestion and I hope that this route is still being considered amongst all of Dovetails upcoming expansions for Train Sim World.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  21. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

There's some very interesting stock in these photos.

With all their other commitments, it may be more than DTG can manage at the present time. However, when the editor becomes available in its final form, maybe some third party developer would consider some parts of these routes and stock. however, there would need to be sufficient demand from the train sim community for such routes. Also, it would depend on the developer being able to obtain licences from these Australian train operators in order to use the various liveries on the simulated models.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I would love to see this for all the possibility in this one route and the scenery, but isn't it a little bit much? If Dovetail Games does do this route half of it or even 3/4 of it won't be made.
    Not being harsh, just curious how they would make this as the route would be HUGE.

23. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully Dovetail have it somewhere on their to do list, but yes with the release of the editor hopefully that gives us Australians a bigger chance to see one of our routes represented in TSW.

With the size I guess it is a little bigger than Sand Patch but at only 14 miles longer I wouldn't call it huge. If length is an issue it could easily be cut back to a more manageable size.

• Like Like x 4
  24. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Late to the party on this but sounds great!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

So I guess it isn't as huge as I thought. It will still certainly be a challenge especially for console users. (Like myself.)

• Like Like x 2
  26. Sharpey

Sharpey Member

Great suggestion and research on the route Sgt. Seymour Skinner. I really hope DTG consider it.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Thanks Sharpey and everyone, I really hope so too!

• Like Like x 2
  28. Johnno124

Johnno124 Active Member

This looks like a really good idea. but im just gonna say, with me being from melbourne, i think melbourne should get the first TSW route lol.
    But jokes aside, i would be buying this in a hearbeat if DTG did it

• Like Like x 3
  29. ljmendham

ljmendham New Member

ad60 class garratts are th best

• Like Like x 2
  30. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

This thread has my full support.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Kentora

Kentora Member

Excellent proposition, very scenic with rolling stocks diversity, it makes me feel travelling.
    Nice work on documenting your thread with tips and pictures.
    And I would love driving the Garratt steam engine

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  32. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

And a excellent job you've done too. Even if the route never makes it to TSW it's been an enjoyable read. Shame those TV videos are blocked I was going to watch them.

Come on DTG the TSWorld is quite restricted at the moment, you can't go much further than this to expand it.

I'm especially keen to play out the Elvis Express scenario. Of course they'd have to create some Elvis characters to make it work though

• Like Like x 2
  33. markeshman3

markeshman3 New Member

i would love to see an australian route in tsw

• Like Like x 2
  34. DaveTrain99

DaveTrain99 Well-Known Member

We can at least dream with this route

• Like Like x 3
  35. Sharpey

Sharpey Member

*bump*

• Like Like x 1
  36. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Old (still highly relevant), extremely detailed, and high quality grading/pathing charts available for almost every line in Victoria are available here:
    https://www.victorianrailways.net/grades/gradehome.html

There's also old diagrams/blueprints for both general widely used infrustructure elements, and specific elements here (eg. stations, signal boxes) (ranging from 1855 to 1981+):
    https://www.victorianrailways.net/infastuct/infastructhome.html

This bit catalogues every station in Victoria and most have signalling diagrams (ranging from before 1890 to 2008+)
    https://www.victorianrailways.net/photogallery/index_i_m.html

And here are signalling blueprints and rules & regulation books (ranging from 1864 to 1980) :
    https://www.victorianrailways.net/signaling/signalhome.html

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  37. jamesbaby286

This channel has an excellent collection of various cab ride videos in HD which would be incredibly useful in the creation of a route (some feature commentary about speed/signalling/procedures);
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtdTpDamVj0z6-ZKMPZYytw

Here is one featuring a city area training journey from Melbourne's inner most depot, past Flinders St Station, Southern Cross station, it then heads out of the CBD a bit to a depot/yard along the Lilydale, Belgave, Alemain, and Glen Waverly Lines, before returning to the city and entering the city loop tunnels and running the loop a few times (which currently all lines run through and will until 2025 when some will be diverted into a new cross-city tunnel), then exiting along the Mernda, and Hurstbridge lines to a certain point, before heading back in again:

This one features the Lilydale Line (which shares a significant portion of the journey with the Belgrave line) along with on board commentary mentioning signals, platforms, and speed limits;

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  38. jamesbaby286

Here are a bunch of other documents I found available from metro trains melbourne:
    "Metropolitan Railway Network Train Operating Protocol"
    https://www.metrotrains.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/373.pdf
    "BURNLEY GROUP OPERATING PROCEDURES"
    https://www.metrotrains.com.au/wp-c...010-15-Burnley-Group-Operating-Procedures.pdf
    "Operating Procedures Infrastructure Works"
    https://www.metrotrains.com.au/wp-c...erating-Procedures-Infrastructure-Works-1.pdf
    "OPERATIONAL INTERFACE PROCEDURES"
    https://www.metrotrains.com.au/wp-c...es-5b12760c-961b-4a0d-84b3-406395078513-0.pdf
    "Regional Fast Rail Operations and other defined Corridors" (V/Line operations)
    https://www.metrotrains.com.au/wp-c...ast-Rail-Operations-Rev-17.01SW.0042.2017.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  39. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Great idea but personaly i would prefer the NSW Main Southern, Cootamundra - Albury it's only 145 miles.
    You forgot my fave Auzzie loco's though buddy, 422, 442 & 80 ;) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  40. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I’m really appreciating the continued support for this idea. Especially since it’s for a platform that seems to be focused on European and US content.

Thanks so much -PjM-. Yeah it is a shame they were blocked but the show is still up on SBSs Facebook page here. I’ve also updated the links of my original post.

Tones of great info here! You’ll have to start your own Route Suggestion thread for a Victorian line so it doesn’t just get lost in this one.

I reckon! I’ve started to take a shine to these classic locos recently so I can’t believe I left them out too. Here are a couple of photos to try and set things right:

The 442 Class
    [​IMG]
    44211 on a Sydney to Bathurst tour at Sodwalls on the return leg in 2014. Found here.

The 80 Class
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two 80s lead a freight train near Wambool in 1987. Found here.

[​IMG]
    8010 in its bicentennial celebration livery leads 8033 and a down freight train in the Borenore area in 1989. Found here.

• Like Like x 6
  41. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Anything with the Australian HST, the XPT, is welcomed :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  42. bawdenj13

bawdenj13 New Member

I would like to see the inclusion of sugar cane trains located near Mackay, Queensland, Australia.
    It would be such a nostalgic moment for me to see and operated those train, after moving to Western Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  43. jamesbaby286

44. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Great work Sgt Skinner, I'm from down Mexico way (Melbourne) but I also think the route you have put forward would be a great choice. Variety of running stock to choose from together with challenging gradients and great views = perfect combination.

45. jamesbaby286

EDIT: Full list now found here https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/australian-proposal-suggestion-master-list.41526/

As this became the major thread for Australian discussion I'll post my list here. I will edit this one with any new good proposal threads pop up, and will post my latest version in any relevant one liner generic suggestion threads.

Here's a list of some good Australia proposal threads. Feel free to add to the discussion in any that interests you, or take inspiration from them to make one for a route you don't see here
    There aren't any for the states not mentioned here so those could use some.

Australia:

General Discussion & Multiple States/Territories:

Victoria:

New South Wales:

Queensland:

South Australia:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  46. David Harrison

David Harrison Member

Sounds great! I'd love to see Australia in the game :)

47. jamesbaby286

I found the PTV (Public Transport Victoria) Style Guide, their "Visual Identity Toolkit" which lists all the Hex and RGB codes for every colour used across Melbourne and Victoria's public transport (V/Line, Metro, Yarra Trams, Buses). It is not the full guide that includes everything about all branding elements because it was released in response to request for just the colours but it is still very useful.
    https://www.righttoknow.org.au/requ.../4/PTVH2977 MSG 2018 2.4 Colour v10 PA v2.pdf

48. DivineSim

DivineSim New Member

I Believe That Train Sim World Should Add Australian Trains To The Game In The Near Future, Maybe Adding A Train From Perth (Transperth) especially adding a Indian Pacific Train Line (Perth - Sydney). Please DTG! Thanks

Attached Files:

49. jamesbaby286

EDIT: Full list now found here https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/australian-proposal-suggestion-master-list.41526/

Updated with the NSW Trainlink - Blue Mountains Line.

Here's a list of some good Australia proposal threads. Feel free to add to the discussion in any that interests you, or take inspiration from them to make one for a route you don't see here
    There aren't any for the states not mentioned here so those could use some.

Australia:

General Discussion & Multiple States/Territories:

Victoria:

New South Wales:

Queensland:

South Australia:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  50. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

There are some absolutely stunning railways in your listing and if TSW2 is to be World, then a couple from your list jamesbaby286 would be magical and magnificent additions to the game in keeping with Train Sim WORLD.

• Like Like x 1