Train Sim World 4 Calder Valley Line Suggestion From A Local

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sam#2862, Sep 5, 2022.

1. sam#2862

sam#2862 Well-Known Member

This route runs between 3 major cities in the north of England, Manchester, Leeds and Preston but what I'm suggesting would go to Colne as well rather than Blackpool this could potentially be added as an extra DLC or the route could be extended in a future update.[​IMG]
    STATIONS:
    Top (Blackburn) bottom (Bradford Interchange)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The stations included are Leeds, Bramley, New Pudsey, Bradford Interchange, Low moor, Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Walsden, Littleborough, Smithy Bridge, Rochdale, Castleton, Mills hill, Moston and Manchester Victoria. the next section of the route is to Colne the stations on this part are: Burnley Barracks, Burnley Central, Brierfield, Nelson and Colne(having Burnley Barracks and Brierfield add the possibility of a request stop feature). The last portion of the route to Blackburn includes Burnley Manchester Road, Rose Grove, Hapton, Huncoat, Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwilstle, Blackburn, Mill Hill, Cherry tree, Pleasington, Bamber Bridge, Lostock hall and Preston.
    This route is not far from the Northern trans Pennine route already in the game and is connected at a junction between Halifax, Sowerby Bridge and Brighouse which leads up to Huddersfield which adds the possibility of a route Merge albeit the Northern trans Pennine would need a modern day version to be compatible with this route. So I will add in Brighouse to my suggestion to link the possibilities. Train Sim World 3 - Modern Northern Transpennine Route | Dovetail Games Forums
    ROLLING STOCK
    This would be a layer from MML just with the new PIS and interior that northern operate however the biggest change will be the addition of a middle carraige as Northern seems to only operate two 158s coupled together or one 3 car 158. (you can find my Midland Mainline suggestion here: Train Sim World 3 - Midland Mainline North Route Extension | Dovetail Games Forums)
    Class 158:
    [​IMG]
    The 158 Express Sprinter was constructed from 1989-1992 in Derby by BREL as 2 and 3 car trains and has a top speed of 90 mph it was built to replace many old first generation DMU's (Diesel Chumbuckets - Yawwie) as of right now it could be seen in 3 liveries either renationalised Northern (same livery as above but instead of saying Northern by Arriva it's just NORTHERN ) or Abellio x Serco Northern in 2 liveries (This could also be done for the 150 too and the 195 could be replaced with a pacer 142/143/144) firstly this beautiful visit Yorkshire livery:
    [​IMG]
    and secondly the standard livery which also looks nice but its nothing compared to the above
    (If this is the livery used it should also be before 2018)
    (Below 158 at Blackburn; between Todmorden and Preston)
    [​IMG]
    As this train is currently being made in EMT livery by Skyhook all that would have to be done here is modify it to be in the Northern Livery and add a 3 car variant or any other variants Northern have.
    Class 195/0 and /1:
    (Below 195 at Preston; the Northern Terminus for this route)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The class 195 Civity train built by CAF in Spain was designed as a replacement for the aging pacer fleet, it has a top speed of 100mph and was built in 2 formations both 2 and 3 cars or 195/0 and 195/1. (I really like the way these sound so I hope whoever makes it does it right)
    Class 150/1:
    (Below 150 and a 156 at Todmorden; between Manchester and Leeds)
    [​IMG]
    The 150/1 is the second earliest form of sprinter to ever enter service after the 150/0, built between 1984 and 1987 by BREL York and has a top speed of 75mph. It is very similar to the 150/2 we already have in TSW3 but there are differences most notably the lack of gangway connectors, we should also get a new sound set as the 150/2 from West Cornwall Local is disappointing but it has good visuals so it's possible that the base model can be used but modified that being said though I'm not sure what is actually easier.
    (Below 66 at Sowerby Bridge; Between Manchester and Leeds)
    [​IMG]
    The 66 is a train we already have and we have had it for a long time and because I know developers for this game rarely make more than 1 train I doubt we would get something like a class 60 but a new livery would be nice (GBRF) what is new here though is the Drax Biomass containers so hopefully they get made.
    FORMATIONS:
    The195 (including 195/0 and 195/1) the 195/0 is often coupled to another 195 to make a 4 car set but the 195/1 runs on its own. The 158 in 2 and 3 car formations (can also be coupled with another 158 but also the 150) and lastly the 150/0 and /1 I know the 150 is already in the game but that is the 150/2 which wouldn't be required for this route but could be added but would have to be re-modelled and have improved sounds and physics.
    POINTS OF INTEREST:
    There are many points of interest on the Calder valley line and the ones most needed would be:
    Hebden bridge signal box. This and the station look very nice and I hope DTG would accurately model it so it looks just as good as in real life.
    [​IMG]
    Halifax signal box: Now nor the station or the signal box look very nice but they are quite iconic and important to the route it is also right next to an impressive viaduct. [​IMG]
    Halifax Viaduct: I'm not sure of its real name but here we are its a very pretty viaduct going over one of the central points of the Town, to the right of the bridge is the Quality street factory so it would be very nice to see some more chocolate themed collectibles like we had with Birmingham Cross City Line and although not necessary it would be nice to see the Matalan nearby just for some extra detail (when I say not necessary I mean we don't need the branding but something still has to be there).
    [​IMG]
    Eureka: Another place in Halifax which happens to be right next to the station; I'm not particularly bothered about besides realism as this is something that quite obviously stands out but there is one more little thing here that I like and you might see it in the left corner to the right of the benches.
    [​IMG]
    and that would be this little delight (notice the tracks behind it heading towards the station)
    [​IMG]
    Hebden Bridge station: Now this would obviously included but I would like to see the station in full detail as it looks very nice in real life.
    [​IMG]
    Sowerby Bridge Viaduct: Now while this isn't the most flattering image of it if you go to the other side you can see how amazing it looks going right through the middle of Sowerby and Sowerby Bridge and you can see the road going straight on at one side as the other turns into the main commercial section of Sowerby Bridge you can also see the River Calder run alongside you which is where the line gets its name.
    [​IMG]
    Copley Viaduct: quite a long and pretty viaduct this snakes around just after Halifax station as it heads round into Copley.
    [​IMG]
    Summit Tunnel:
    [​IMG]
    Summit tunnel located inbetween Littleborough and Walsden is a tunnel around 1.6 miles long and at the time was the longest tunnel in the world, not only that but one of the oldest railway tunnels too being constructed between 1838 and 1841 unfortunately however it came at a cost of £251,000 and 41 workers lives. Its also famous for the fire that occurred in 1984 which left it temporarily closed luckily though no one was injured.
    There aren't too many other things that I can think of which is why I'm glad this route is so scenic and offers a wide variety of scenery but if there is anything else please let me know.
    INCLUDED PASSENGER SERVICES:
    DISCLAIMER: POSSIBLY OUTDATED NOW DUE TO IT NOW BEING 2023 AND NOT 2022 HOWEVER I WOULD PREFER THIS ONE BECAUSE THE NEW ONE IS INCREDIBLY BORING.
    York/Leeds to Blackpool north as far as Leeds to Preston: quite a lot of these run a day and are mostly operated by 195/1s. According to trainline there are 21 trains per day on this 47 mile service that takes about 2h 52m or on a faster service 1h 40m (those stats are only between Leeds and Preston).
    Leeds to Manchester Victoria: There are 33 trains per day on this service that is around 36 miles however most have different destinations some terminate at Manchester but most either go to Wigan Wallgate, Wigan North Western or Chester operated by the 158, 195/0 and 195/1 occasionally other trains in Northern's fleet will be used.
    Kirkby to Blackburn as far as Manchester Victoria to Blackburn: There are normally around 67 trains per day between Man Vic and Blackburn over a distance of 20 miles and taking around 1h 1m to complete. This is usually operated by the 150/1 or /0.
    Colne to Preston: This would be one of the few playable services you can take all the way operated by the 150/1 or /0 (following the retirement of the pacers) there are 33 trains per day on this service and it is 23 miles long taking 1h 10m to complete.
    Halifax to Hull as far as Halifax to Leeds: There are normally around 23 trains per day on this service that is usually operated by 158s and it takes about 1h 45 m to complete over a distance of 62 miles, but in the game it will only go to Leeds, so it's 38 mins over a distance of 13 miles with 126 trains per day (including services such as Manchester(/Wigan Wallgate/Wigan North Western/Chester) to Leeds, York to Blackpool North, Halifax to Hull and Huddersfield to Leeds via Halifax and Bradford) but technically only 23 on this one service.
    Huddersfield to Leeds via Halifax and Bradford: (this is a scenario where this route is also needed for this to work Train Sim World 3 - Modern Northern Transpennine Route | Dovetail Games Forums) going as far as Brighouse (merging point) to Leeds: there are 21 trains per day on this service (Brighouse-Leeds not the full route from Huddersfield) taking around 37 mins over a distance of 12 miles. This service is usually operated by a 150/2 but another train can be subbed in here.
    The full route is 67 miles going off these stats sorry if the Trains per day is wrong the stats may vary.
    SCENARIOS:
    'Calder' Nights:

I know that none of the Devs can resist a terrible pun so here is one I thought of.
    Take this pair of 195s from Manchester Victoria-Leeds in the winter snow at night (hence the name Calder/Colder)
    Summer In The Valley:
    Take this 158 from Leeds to Preston on the seaside service from York to Blackpool on a Lovely Summer's day taking in the views (excluding Burnley and Accrington around the stations it looks a bit rough but once you have left the station and get back out into the countryside it's very nice)
    Lancashire sprinter:
    Take this 150 from Preston-Colne on a sunny Autumn evening service.
    Taking the 195 for a swim:
    Drive this 195 through Heavy storm conditions on a service to Leeds from Manchester that has been cut short and will terminate at Todmorden due to flooding in Hebden Bridge then drive an ECS back to Manchester.
    Across the Pennines:
    Take this 158 on a service starting in Huddersfield (you will start at Brighouse) to Leeds via Bradford Interchange on a cloudy day.
    I'm sure there would be more scenarios i'm just running out of ideas.
    DEPOT:
    Newton Heath Depot in Manchester is where Northern currently keep their class 195 Trains and evidently the rest of the Sprinter fleet that being said, I couldn't find much about it though so this might be something for you to find out.
    [​IMG]
    ENDING:
    In conclusion I think the Calder Valley Line would be a great addition to TSW3 for a multitude of reasons it has many branches including to Preston and Colne rather than just Manchester to Leeds creating a very interesting route with lots of variety in services while also keeping to length restrictions of TSW3 giving us around 67 miles of route to play on, combined with a number of highly requested trains one of them already coming to the game soon making the job ever so slightly easier. Another thing to add is that it's a very scenic regional intercity route that is moderately busy with some much needed diesel traction. Perhaps one of the best things is that we have not seen it before in train simulator which would give players more reason to come to TSW even if its just for this route.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Completely agree, it's about time a modern day northern england route is put in tsw3.

• Like Like x 5
  3. boltonboi#3246

boltonboi#3246 New Member

DTG can u please add some more UK routes in the North this suggestion is great the community is crying out for more modern North West routes

• Like Like x 4
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree with you and I did this route suggestion last year. One thing that I can speak of this route is that Class 150/2 Northern Rail version if chosen as DLC must be better than Rivet Games Cornwall version in terms of Physics because existing Class 150/2 runs like an EMU. Class 150/2 Northern Rail alt paint scheme it's the original 1990s paint

• Like Like x 2
  5. sam#2862

Well my proposal was for the 150/1 so they couldn't use the 150/2 however that could be added too

• Like Like x 1
  6. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The Calder Valley line is very scenic and would be a good route which would finally give the north a route set in modern times. Good suggestion.

• Like Like x 4
  7. driverwoods#1787

I agree and furthermore it's the True NTP not the Huddersfield Line via Standege Tunnel CVL uses Summit Tunnel

• Like Like x 3
  8. summersy

summersy Active Member

I would absolutely love this route, definitely the more scenic of the two transpennines. And a modern NTP would be great aswell maybe incorporate it into 1 whole new route if possible.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sam#2862

yes I actually am planning to make a post abt that leeds to manchester victoria and piccadilly

• Like Like x 2
  10. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Throw in the Class 110 dmu and I am sold.

• Like Like x 4
  11. driverwoods#1787

I agree and that can layer to 1980s-era routes too if needed. Did also suggest the route as TSW 3 base route

• Like Like x 2
  12. sam#2862

that wouldn't quite work with the timetable maybe it could be added as a dlc for the NTP that we have already or for this route we could get something like a diesel legends of the great western

• Like Like x 1
  13. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

Do it on the 80s and it would be an instant buy!

• Like Like x 3
  14. sam#2862

for me 80's/90's+ bc I won't know the TOC'S but I will know the trains wympte 155's,158's and pacers, regional railways 156's and 150's

15. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

Do it early 80s and it was just BR!

• Like Like x 2
  16. sam#2862

I have just updated the suggestion yet again as I want to include as much detail as possible for my local route

• Like Like x 1
  17. sam#2862

I really want to blow this up so DTG see we need a new route in the North that's A) Modern day we have been waiting ages for a modern Northern UK route B) not already in Train simulator, if we get routes and trains that aren't included in TS people will want to buy it more (like the 385 in Edinburgh-Glasgow)

• Like Like x 2
  18. sam#2862

I prefer my sprinters and pacers so as long as its mid 90s to now I am happy but I would prefer now because I know it better and I can relate to it being born in 2009 and so that's all I know

• Like Like x 2
  19. sam#2862

I would prefer this modern because I think it would be great to finally have a modern route in Northern England

• Like Like x 1
  20. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

And other people like first gen units and prefer to see lines how they used to be!!

• Like Like x 2
  21. sam#2862

fair play but I'd like a bit of variety considering we have NTP already which is right next to this route and that is set in this era you are proposing so I think its only fair the we get a modern route in the North of England with this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

A long while back i made a 1980s calder valley suggestion, involving a Class 110 and a Class 40, considering the very Diesel nature of this route perhaps a 1980s timetable could work for a Addon, it would layer very well with NTP as the CVL is essentially a Sister route to it.

• Like Like x 2
  23. sam#2862

perhaps you should read the above comment, those who want an 80s route like this one can have NTP whereas people like me who would like a modern route could have this.

• Like Like x 1
  24. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

And if they want this specific route in the 80s?

• Like Like x 1
  25. sam#2862

whats your point

26. trainsimplayer

That their wishes can't be silenced because they conflict with yours.

27. sam#2862

and mine can't be silenced because they conflict with theirs.

• Like Like x 1
  28. trainsimplayer

Nobody was trying to silence yours.
    Your "well NTP is in that era, go play that" bit wasn't a wish, it was an order...
    (An order to shut up.)

• Like Like x 1
  29. sam#2862

I never ordered anyone to shut up but ok, I can't believe I have my own wishes, I'm so disrespectful for wanting a route that is local to me to be modern and then when someone disagrees I tell them that if they want a route that is very similar to what they suggested they can play NTP. How rude of me

• Like Like x 1
  30. trainsimplayer

It... is... rude?

You're effectively saying:
    "No, you can't have it the way you want, because I want it this way. Go take this different thing instead and quit complaining."

P.S. - being local doesn't mean you get a veto.

• Like Like x 1
  31. sam#2862

last time I checked its up to the devs who make it, if they decide to make it I'm not saying that this is 100% how its going to be, No one was complaining so I didn't tell anyone to stop. I was merely stating my opinion that it seems fair to me that if its sister route is already in the game and is set in the 1980s its only fair that people like me get what we'd like. I really don't see how thats rude

• Like Like x 1