1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out Of Memory Crashes

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by nathandefayette, May 13, 2020.

1. nathandefayette

nathandefayette New Member

Hi there. I'm brand new to the Forum. I keep getting this crash constantly on every route and with any DLC. There's no rhyme or reason, it can be in editor, or mid scenario. I know others have been reporting this too. I always run in 64 bit.

Thanks!

Nate.
    upload_2020-5-13_12-59-59.png

Attached Files:

2. nhill40

nhill40 New Member

How much ram do you have? Are you running this in 64 bit? That worked for me. Also, when building a really long train (2+ miles), the game can crash!​

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you using a laptop?
    Do you have a proper Graphics Card?
    Are you running a Workshop Scenario?

• Like Like x 1
  4. nathandefayette

nathandefayette New Member

I'm running it on a desktop with 16 GB of ram, and a GTX 1070 card. Nothing workshop related either.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have had it now a few times in 64 bit mode in the scenario editor, plus one scenario which won't load at all, I did send a support request and got advised that basically I needed to have 16gb of ram rather than 8gb! However if you are having the problem with 16gb then I don't think it is down to ram. A google search reveals quite a few users are having these crashes in 64 bit mode.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyclone

Cyclone Member

Have you tried clearing your game cache? Not sure if that will help with this, but can't hurt.

Also, don't set to maximum graphics settings. Take it down a couple notches. There is a video I think Baldnold was going to make on the settings he uses, I'll have to see if I can find that video if it's made. Says he never had issues, so emulating his settings may help.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I tried that to no avail and have tried running the scenario on lowest settings and it still won't load, I suspect it it something to do with that scenario.

The other times it has crashed in the scenario editor, when making other scenarios, it has always reloaded fine after.

8. rwaday

rwaday Active Member

Has nothing to do with system memory. I seems to be system specific. It affects some more than others. DTG is stating that they can not reproduce it on their end and has not provided a comprehensive resolution. One solution is to uninstall Steam and all games, manually delete all leftover folders and reinstall from scratch. This works for some. As suggested, clear cache before and after session. In editor, be proactive and F2 often.

9. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter New Member

Exactly same here Nathan. All game specs = true. 16GB ram and run a separate removeable drive. What ever it is, is nothing to do with my system (I think). Too many of us getting the same problem to be single system related.

10. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

It really feels like the game was more stable 2-3 years ago, I have had the same issues.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Member

It would be nice if 2021 introduced a rewritten setup that utilizes newer technology...

*Cyclone.exe has crashed due to expectant update loop failure*

12. Tx-Tiger

Tx-Tiger New Member

I am testing with combining routes (which is a whole story on its own) but during testing, actually loading the route, I stumble upon these out-of-memory crashes too. In my case I have noticed this has someting to do with the "Tracks.bin" file. In my case loading the route seems to crash when Tracks-file is around 20MB of size... but that is not my problem here. Surely I have tracked my RAM usage using the Task Manager and I see Train Sim using up to around 4 GB (actually up to 3.6 GB) before throwing the out-of-memory crash. Which is weird because, A: I have 16GB of ram installed and TS is not even using half of it and B: the 4 GB RAM limit is oddly a limitation of 32-bit programmes (And yes, I have triple checked, I am using the 64-bit version of the game (Task Manager lists TS as: Railworks64.exe))

I will try and reïnstall the game and see if anything helps... but I hope the devs can look into this cause its a bit frustrating...

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It can not be done.
    Railworks was released in 2007 and Train Simulator is the progression of that game from 2012
    Everything people have purchased for the game from 2007 will still work in TS2020 - there might be exceptions but I don't know of any.
    The three routes that came with TS2012, when I first got the game, still work

DTG realised they were limited with what they can do in TS so they introduced Train Sim World which has features not possible in TS.

If DTG were to modify TS2021 to do other things it might break the compatibility with everything released before it.

Peter

14. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

So Peter you're saying making the game more stable (which apparently can be done) would destroy the compatibility with past routes and assets?

15. Marc von Hoffrichter

Soooo. Has DTG acknowledged this out of memory problem as yet? Anyone know?
    I'm dead in the water. I can't even access the game anymore. I have tried everything including buying a new GPU thinking it was that.
    I have invested a substantial amount of money in all the DLC I have, for nothing.
    Does this overall situation sit well with the rest of you?
    Is there anyway we can roll this crap back to when it was at least mostly working well?
    Ima gunna go play Diesel Railcar, let me know when the universe rights itself again huh?

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you uninstalled any workshop scenarios?
    Have you verified your game files?
    If the game does not start it might be missing files

Peter

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is more than likely that making any changes to the core engine for the game would make earlier add-ons stop working.
    People who have spent a lot of time and money on this game would be upset if DTG said your games will stop working from a date.

Which is why the have introduced TSW to do things in the game you cannot do in TS20xx

Peter

18. Marc von Hoffrichter

Peter.

Done it all twice now. First time round it verified 142 game files missing and will be reacquired. TS still crashed post with the same error. Second time, all files present, still crashed.
    The missing 142 game files is bizarre. Game was fair to poor before that, but now....my gaming PC is just a sea anchor.

Cheers

19. Cyclone

Cyclone Member

To be fair, they would have all the time on Earth to try making changes and testing them on various routes. The problem is they'd have to test every single change on some 600 different DLC, so it would be an extremely exhaustive process for one change. And that's only one change. Heck, even the workshop tab in the game right now doesn't work properly, and that's on the MENU.