Out Of Memory Crashes

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by nathandefayette, May 13, 2020.

1. nathandefayette

nathandefayette New Member

Hi there. I'm brand new to the Forum. I keep getting this crash constantly on every route and with any DLC. There's no rhyme or reason, it can be in editor, or mid scenario. I know others have been reporting this too. I always run in 64 bit.

Thanks!

Nate.
    upload_2020-5-13_12-59-59.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. nhill40

nhill40 Member

How much ram do you have? Are you running this in 64 bit? That worked for me. Also, when building a really long train (2+ miles), the game can crash!​

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you using a laptop?
    Do you have a proper Graphics Card?
    Are you running a Workshop Scenario?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. nathandefayette

nathandefayette New Member

I'm running it on a desktop with 16 GB of ram, and a GTX 1070 card. Nothing workshop related either.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have had it now a few times in 64 bit mode in the scenario editor, plus one scenario which won't load at all, I did send a support request and got advised that basically I needed to have 16gb of ram rather than 8gb! However if you are having the problem with 16gb then I don't think it is down to ram. A google search reveals quite a few users are having these crashes in 64 bit mode.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Have you tried clearing your game cache? Not sure if that will help with this, but can't hurt.

Also, don't set to maximum graphics settings. Take it down a couple notches. There is a video I think Baldnold was going to make on the settings he uses, I'll have to see if I can find that video if it's made. Says he never had issues, so emulating his settings may help.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I tried that to no avail and have tried running the scenario on lowest settings and it still won't load, I suspect it it something to do with that scenario.

The other times it has crashed in the scenario editor, when making other scenarios, it has always reloaded fine after.

8. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with system memory. I seems to be system specific. It affects some more than others. DTG is stating that they can not reproduce it on their end and has not provided a comprehensive resolution. One solution is to uninstall Steam and all games, manually delete all leftover folders and reinstall from scratch. This works for some. As suggested, clear cache before and after session. In editor, be proactive and F2 often.

9. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter Member

Exactly same here Nathan. All game specs = true. 16GB ram and run a separate removeable drive. What ever it is, is nothing to do with my system (I think). Too many of us getting the same problem to be single system related.

10. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

It really feels like the game was more stable 2-3 years ago, I have had the same issues.

11. Cyclone

It would be nice if 2021 introduced a rewritten setup that utilizes newer technology...

*Cyclone.exe has crashed due to expectant update loop failure*

12. Tx-Tiger

Tx-Tiger New Member

I am testing with combining routes (which is a whole story on its own) but during testing, actually loading the route, I stumble upon these out-of-memory crashes too. In my case I have noticed this has someting to do with the "Tracks.bin" file. In my case loading the route seems to crash when Tracks-file is around 20MB of size... but that is not my problem here. Surely I have tracked my RAM usage using the Task Manager and I see Train Sim using up to around 4 GB (actually up to 3.6 GB) before throwing the out-of-memory crash. Which is weird because, A: I have 16GB of ram installed and TS is not even using half of it and B: the 4 GB RAM limit is oddly a limitation of 32-bit programmes (And yes, I have triple checked, I am using the 64-bit version of the game (Task Manager lists TS as: Railworks64.exe))

I will try and reïnstall the game and see if anything helps... but I hope the devs can look into this cause its a bit frustrating...

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It can not be done.
    Railworks was released in 2007 and Train Simulator is the progression of that game from 2012
    Everything people have purchased for the game from 2007 will still work in TS2020 - there might be exceptions but I don't know of any.
    The three routes that came with TS2012, when I first got the game, still work

DTG realised they were limited with what they can do in TS so they introduced Train Sim World which has features not possible in TS.

If DTG were to modify TS2021 to do other things it might break the compatibility with everything released before it.

Peter

14. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

So Peter you're saying making the game more stable (which apparently can be done) would destroy the compatibility with past routes and assets?

15. Marc von Hoffrichter

Soooo. Has DTG acknowledged this out of memory problem as yet? Anyone know?
    I'm dead in the water. I can't even access the game anymore. I have tried everything including buying a new GPU thinking it was that.
    I have invested a substantial amount of money in all the DLC I have, for nothing.
    Does this overall situation sit well with the rest of you?
    Is there anyway we can roll this crap back to when it was at least mostly working well?
    Ima gunna go play Diesel Railcar, let me know when the universe rights itself again huh?

• Like Like x 1
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you uninstalled any workshop scenarios?
    Have you verified your game files?
    If the game does not start it might be missing files

Peter

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is more than likely that making any changes to the core engine for the game would make earlier add-ons stop working.
    People who have spent a lot of time and money on this game would be upset if DTG said your games will stop working from a date.

Which is why the have introduced TSW to do things in the game you cannot do in TS20xx

Peter

18. Marc von Hoffrichter

Peter.

Done it all twice now. First time round it verified 142 game files missing and will be reacquired. TS still crashed post with the same error. Second time, all files present, still crashed.
    The missing 142 game files is bizarre. Game was fair to poor before that, but now....my gaming PC is just a sea anchor.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cyclone

To be fair, they would have all the time on Earth to try making changes and testing them on various routes. The problem is they'd have to test every single change on some 600 different DLC, so it would be an extremely exhaustive process for one change. And that's only one change. Heck, even the workshop tab in the game right now doesn't work properly, and that's on the MENU.

20. riggers386

riggers386 New Member

I've been getting this out of memory error since September 2019.
    Here's the history:
    Since 2013, I've been running Train Simulator on a way too low spec Fujitsu Siemens AH530, running Windows 7 with on board graphics card, 6GB Ram, 2.3GHZ processor. I installed a Sandisk 500GB ssd in 2016, since when the game ran a lot smoother, and to be fair, since I'd never seen TS running on a decent games machine, I didn't think it performed too bad. I rarely got any error messages unless I'd been editing a route and/or a scenario many times, and running it in between. But... since the old Fujitsi's Windows 7 support was expiring, and the machine itself is showing its age, I decided to splash out on reasonable gaming laptop, so I got the best I could afford - nowhere near top of the range certainly, but with a dedicated graphics card, the difference was really noticeable.

The new Laptop was delivered 21st of September. This is the spec:
    ASUS FX504GM-EN150T 15.6" 8th Gen Intel Core i7 Gaming Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB+256GB
    Intel Core i7 (8th Gen) 8750H / 2.2 GHz Max Turbo Speed 4.1 GHz Hexa Core Processor
    16GB RAM, 1TB HDD+256GB SSD
    15.6" Full HD Display (1920 x 1080) Resolution
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Dedicated Graphics.

I copied all of the scenarios and routes I'd worked on from the Fujtsu, and ran many of them, and on many different routes for a couple of days with no problems. Until I started editing the route - at the time I was adding detail to the York - Peterboro route. Then a few days later, I seem to recall a hefty update to TS 2020 being installed. Also, Windows 10 installed several updates. This would be in the last week of September. Ran a scenario on it and got the Out of Memory error. Then it started happening every few times I ran a scenario. If I attempted to actually work on a scenario, invariably it would crash as soon as I ran it. So I resorted to saving every minute or so, quiting the game, re-starting then running the scenario straight from the menu, when - about half the time - it would run.

I tried running the same scenarios on the Fujitsu - no problem. So reluctantly, I returned the Asus for a refund, assuming there was a fault with the memory/graphics card.

Support for Windows 7 was ending soon, so I checked out the cost of updating to Windows 10 - around £100 from Microsoft - but I got a downloadable version from a third party supplier for £20. Installed it, installed all the updates, checked all my programs were working fine, then edited a scenario on TS2020. As soon as I tried to run it, I got the Out of Memory error. I'd never had that message in 7 years. I scoured every forum I could find, and seems like many people are having the same issue. I did come across one point of view that it was definitely a Windows issue: something about memory having been used, but on coming out of the application concerned, not being reallocated, as it was apparently in previous Windows versions, resulting in the available RAM being quickly used up. I'm no expert, but since I NEVER got this problem with Windows 7, I'm thinking it really is a Windows 10 issue. The trouble is - the updates to the game also downloaded in that period, so it's still possible that the game, or the updates around the end of September, are to blame.

Also, around 2015, Microsoft were offering free upgrade to Windows 10. I upgraded - and TS wouldn't run at all. I reverted to the Windows 7. Still, my money is on Windows causing the problem - which would explain why DTG seem unable to resolve it.

21. xo.zidanez

xo.zidanez New Member

Same here,... I cant play this game anymore
    My PC Spec :
    Ryzen5 2600
    VGEN Tsunami 16GB DDR4
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    Win 10 Pro 21H1
    SSD 256GB (OS)
    HDD 1 TB (Game Location) -> 200GB Free space

As you know.. with that spec, my pc run others game such as GTA V, Prepar3D, ETS2, RE7 & Far Cry 5 is smooth like a charm with High-ultra settings.

Hope dovetail give me solution for this.

Attached Files:

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

23. xo.zidanez

xo.zidanez New Member

Attached Files:

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have to wait until they have a look at what you sent them - it has not been 24 hours since the port to DTG
    It can take longer to work out what the problem is.

Have you looked at the first post in this thread and tried that?

It could also be a problem with whatever you last uploaded to the game - a workshop scenario or a reskin
    Try removing the last thing you put in the game and see if that solves the problem
    If it worked ok before then a change you made caused it to stop working.

Peter

25. xo.zidanez

xo.zidanez New Member

They already answered.
    I've done all their instructions.
    But the problem still occurs : OUT OF MEMORY

I dont install anything such as mod, workshop scenario etc... My game is fresh as original & no DLC.
    Honestly, I assume this problem is from the game itself (kind of BUG or some)
    I'm so confused what to do... How long this problem will resolved??
    Anyway.. nice homepage bro...

Attached Files:

• DTS.JPG
      DTS.JPG
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How should DTG Resolve it when it is only affecting a limited amount of Computers.

If it was a big flaw then nobody would be playing the game and everyone would be posting problems - but they are not.

This was the thread I was thinking of
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/out-of-memory-crashes-page-file-problem.22918/

27. xo.zidanez

xo.zidanez New Member

Here the last tried :
    1. Fresh Install OS
    2. Setting Page Files and Performance
    2. Fresh Install Steam
    3. Download Fresh TS2021 again from stam (not from backup)
    4. Clear Cache Steam
    5. Clear Cache TS 2021
    6. Check Integrity
    7. Play
    8. And............................. (happened on both 32 bit and & 64 bit)
    9. I m realy confused and sigh now.. But DTG cant resolve this problems.

Attached Files:

• df.JPG
      df.JPG
      File size:
      125.3 KB
      Views:
  28. Cyclone

Did you try getting a new computer? That might help.

Being serious, clearly your PC is not working with the game for some reason. And the fix should not be "get a new computer". But it almost seems like it has to be.

Something I wonder is if any Workshop subscriptions are causing issues.

29. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I notice in your dxdiag.txt file you are showing BEX error which can be related to a sound issue. What sound source are you using?
    It can also be linked with a DEP issue in Windows 10. (Data Execution Prevention)
    Useful stuff here https://windowsreport.com/steam-error-bex/
    Have you looked in "View Reliability History" - any errors?
    Fresh install of OS - was that a clean install? Ditto for TS2021?
    What version of Windows are you using? Type winver in the search window.
    Can you disable temporarily Simultaneous Multi-Threading in your cpu?
    What settings do you have for UAC?
    Check antivirus/antimalware settings to ensure they are set to "allow" TS and Steam.

30. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Also try this: Disable the feature called "AMD Turbo Core Tech" if overclocked.

31. ricktrains48

ricktrains48 New Member

I get the same error, no workshop stuff (uninstalled and unsubscribed to what I did have), no 3rd party. Uninstalled Trainsim, fully. (Deleted all remaining folders.)
    Reinstalled from steam.
    Verified.
    Checked everything they suggest.
    (Every flipping step, in order, on their "Knowledge Base", and it did zilch.)
    "Out Of Memory" error so quick it won't even load the main screen.

My computer:
    HP Omen
    Ryzen 7 4800H Processor (16 CPU edition)
    32 GB Ram
    1TB HD (SSD)
    GTX 1660TI Graphics card.

Always start the 64bit mode.

Zero help from Dovetail. (Now 3rd ticket submitted, as they closed the first 2 after telling me to "Uninstall and reinstall" as they "cannot replicate the issue" themselves. (So, basically "We don't know what your problem is, looks like your out of luck partner, as no refunds since you've logged over 200 hours since 2016... Sucks to be you. Now go away and quit bugging us".)

Never had this problem until Windows 10 updated in 2019.

Sometimes the complete uninstall fixed, now it's not...

Is it really a W10 issue???

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Trainsim? You mean Train Simulator 2021
    If you are going to reinstall the game just put the Base game back on without any add-ons and see if you can run that

And how do you expect DTG Support to help you if they can not replicate the problem?

33. ricktrains48

ricktrains48 New Member

Yes, Train Simulator 2021.
    Reinstall is simply base. Still gives the error.

I expect a support team to attempt something, suggest anything. Not simply say "sucks to be you right now, we don't see a problem" and close the ticket as if they solved it.
    With standard support ticket protocol, unsolved tickets should get escalated, not simply closed.

Or should I simply have a lawyer threaten a class action case for their willful breach of contract? My purchase (contract) was for a working product they can not deliver nor are they willing at this point to provide support.
    They prove that by closing the tickets without doing anything about them. That is not standard support ticket protocol.

They broke their end of the contract in so doing.

That means they either need to:
    1 - Escalate the support ticket. Not simply close it and act as if there is not a problem.
    Or, 2 - Refund amount spent on (at bare minimum) add-ons and 2021 "upgrade" that has broken the software.

34. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

35. ricktrains48

ricktrains48 New Member

Page File settings are on, and 8GB, So definitely not that.
    Fresh install of DX9, and fresh graphics driver from NVidia.

36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Could it be some software that you have put on your computer?
    Have you tried rolling back the Nvidia Drivers - some have been know to cause problems with TS20xx because of it's age.

37. ricktrains48

ricktrains48 New Member

UPDATE:
    I decided, for fun, to change the Page File Max Value, to now 8GB (1 X 8GB RAM Module) instead of the 10GB it was set at.

After reboot, TS21 works as it should.

Windows 10 OS had set it at 10GB, but maybe that was making a error code pop due to not using the full stick????

Just very odd that after upgrading to TS21 is when it caused the issue.
    Even more odd that "Out Of Memory" error was corrected by allocating less memory to the Page File...
    I have updated the now open support ticket.

So, it was a Page File Value issue, but a stupid one evidently...

38. Cyclone

This explains why DTG cannot replicate the issue. They don't have a clue about how to operate Windows hardware.