Video Running At 200% Scaling.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 30, 2020.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was rooting around on YouTube this morning and found this video of Augsburg to Munchen and thought I’d share as it gives an idea of how it runs. Looks to be 25 - 35 FPS across route.

I was curious though, 29 mins in what was missed for the pzb episode to cut in? I couldn’t make out what they did wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Some sections of that video could very well be mistaken for real life footage, compare that to what I get on console is depressing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

I recently changed from a one x to the same set up and I noticed a huge difference (bank balance too unfortunately) but it does make a huge difference

• Like Like x 1
  4. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

Great video! Indeed almost looks like real life on such a setup...

About your PZB issue, at minute 29.21 you pass a signal gantry with a signal. It shows "Green + Speed 60 with a white-red-white Main Signal sign below". If the speed a signal or sign shows is below 100 km/h, you need to Acknowledge it. If you don't, PZB will always kick in 4 seconds after at a 1000 Hz magnet - and it does exactly that on minute 29.25.

Still you are not the one at fault here, I didn't see any signs that show you that you have to slow down to Vmax 60 before that last signal. Usually signs of an upcoming slower speed limit are placed 1.0-1.5 km away from the actual speed reduction. And the signal at minute 29.10 didn't show you any aspect! (((QUICK EDIT: This signal isn't your signal but the one for trains going the other direction, my fault!))) If you ask me, this is still a bug in the route that needs to be fixed. Thankfully the speed reduction is present in the UI, but that is only half of the work done :D

Great driving in the rest of the video! ;) And don't forget: PZB needs a lot of practice to get good at it. I also forgot to Acknowledge speed limits < 100 km/h in the beginning. You will get better after a while :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Is this really running in 4K with 200% scaling? Because that's 8K or 4320p :o.

Some hardware stats with Riva Tuner would definetly help show the bottleneck (might even be the desired one) but with no data at hand, I think it's all VRAM limited. Either way it's an amazing show of raw power and the text readability is in it's own league.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

It certainly looks like it, and isn't surprising. There are a number of folks here, myself included, who have high power gaming rigs (I play a lot more than just trains) that take advantage of the resolution scaling in game. TSW2 is not a graphically intensive game as far as the GPU is concerned. In its current state it likes RAM and CPU, which, honestly, is common for sims in general. Part of that is also because DTG really aren't pushing the Unreal Engine very hard in terms of visuals. it can do so much more and look so much better but they've really held back because either A. They don't yet have the expertise to do better, and/or B. They want to keep system requirements as low as possible due to consoles and those without "gaming" pcs.

I have an i7-9700k, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM and don't run at a full 200% because my frames get a bit too low in heavier areas for my liking. This is compounded because I use engine.ini edits to increase LOD,draw distance, and shadow distance among other things, which pushes my machine harder. Also, the guy in the video is running ain i9-10900k which is arguably still the best pure gaming CPU on the market, and in a sim like this, that will make a difference.

As for your comment about bottleneck, I run Rivatuner overlays for CPU and GPU stats. I can make a run later and post back if you're interested.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Tomas9970

I feel like TSW 2 is very CPU optimized due to having to run on consoles because my Ryzen 3600 is only reaching about 20% usage when running at 30 fps. To be fair, the first core is under a lot more load than the other ones but still nowhere near 100%. Also a lot of physics is surely not tied to framerate.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think the data is really necessary because it's beyond obvious.

I'm running a Ryzen 3600 with an RX550 and 8GB RAM at the moment. It was originally built as a workhorse and definetly has some upgrades planned.

8. hightower

hightower Guest

This DLC at 4K & 200% scaling will give you 20-25fps at best on a 2080ti. It isn’t necessary either.

I have it at 4K & 120% with the engine.ini tweaks in the description and I get a uniform 60fps (capped) across the whole route. Once you go above 120% the FPS starts to take a hit. It’s also running in DX12 which makes a difference.

9. mattdsoares

Physics are, and are not tied to framerate. Your GPU can only render as fast as your CPU can issue draw calls. If your CPU is getting bogged down doing physics computations it won't be able to keep up with the needed draw calls, and BOOM CPU bottleneck and your frames take a hit. Not saying that's happening here, but a lot of physics or other CPU intensive tasks can absolutely have a major impact on FPS if they're causing a bottleneck. Pretty sure you know this, so the discussion is more for other folks interested. Please don't take it as some sort of lecture towards you.

10. Tomas9970

Thanks. I'm aware of that but a reminder is always nice:). Also a weak CPU causes stutters (sudden drops) instead of a low and stable framerate.

11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Super clean image. Nice rig :)

12. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Only thing I can think of is not slowing down fast enough to below 85 km/h within 23 seconds?

13. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

14. mattdsoares

• Like Like x 1
  15. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

That is indeed true, but the 23-seconds "timer" will only start once the 1000 Hz light is lit. You have to lit the light yourself when a situation requires it - and if you don't do this, PZB will automatically put the emergency brakes on after those 4 seconds. (Basic principles of PZB) Still chieflongshin was not the one at fault here, since there was no sign that showed him a 60 km/h limit was coming, apart from the UI and the last signal. But the signal was waaaaay too close to where the 60 km/h limit starts. If there would have been a sign with a 1000 Hz magnet right there like in real life, you surely had to brake to 85 km/h in 23 seconds on mode "O" ;)

16. hightower

hightower Guest

Are you referring to the 60 board at 29:21 in the video? He didn’t acknowledge it, which is what triggered the PZB.

Do German railways rely on route knowledge at all, or is everything controlled by signals & PZB/LZB?

17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

PZB/LZB/signaling is enough for success
    Route knowledge helps
    In real life - a working timetable helps too / PS HUD Next Speed Limit is some kind of substitute for this in TSW

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
  18. hightower

hightower Guest

I just wondered if the lack of an earlier 60kph warning would be a route knowledge thing, or is it a mistake in the route?

There was the flashing green indicating a slower speed coming up and in that case I would probably have expected a PZB 85kph restriction and started to slow down accordingly. That would leave plenty of space to get down to 60kph by the next signal.

• Like Like x 1
  19. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Flashing green (Ks 1) but without Zs 3v speed reduction indication is a mistake. Such a signal (<<< link) does not actually exist :)

UPDATE For those interested - the gentlemen are doing a great job researching the topic:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/signal-errors-on-hma.29512/
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/problems-with-signals-pzb.29338/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. chieflongshin

I have the same spec as per the video and I’m running on a 1440p monitor and I get about 27-35fps at 200% and everything ok ultra. Slows a tad in places but in the main it’s spot on

21. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can't increase shadow distance.

22. mattdsoares

Indeed you can.

The command for engine.ini you're looking for is r.Shadow.DistanceScale=. This can make the circle around your train where shadows are drawn larger, however there is a limit. Anything over a value of 2.0 doesn't seem to extend the circle any further, however going up to 2.0 will work.

Here is a thread that includes screenshots of the visual difference between a value of 1.0 and 2.0.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/shadows-draw-distance.16088/#post-75905

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  23. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The shadow draw distance is still ridiculously short, even with the ini commands. Quite an immersion breaker when driving on a sunny day as you see shadows draw quite clearly in front of you.

• Like Like x 4
  24. hightower

hightower Guest

I know I'm a broken record, but the single biggest thing DTG could do that would improve this game out of all recognition is sort out the lighting (luminous trains, light sources with no origin, no cab occlusion etc.) and shadows (draw distance, quality/darkness).

Until they do this game will never reach it's full potential.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  25. hightower

hightower Guest

They say a picture paints a thousand words...

The sky is brightening BEHIND the train and as you can see, the sun hasn't risen over the horizon. In TSW land the inside of the cab has got progressively lighter (the superstructure of the unit doesn't exist for lighting purposes), the trees are a complete dogs dinner and the train itself (as with all the trains) is lit entirely independently of the environment. It should be pitch black but for the lightening of the sky.

What a mess it is.

TSW2_James_1604519140_00.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

TSW’s night lighting is AWFUL and seriously needs overhauling. I’d like to drive at night however things like this prevent me from doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  27. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yes, lights in general are something that really needs some serious rework. Shadows draw distance are also terrible in some cases and they are extremely short in general. In Tees Valley they are particulary atrocious as it is a map with many open areas and you clearly notice you are inside a reality bubble.

Indeed the real problem is the clear sky weather preset. It produces light inside tunnels, the reality bubble and a very noticeable effect of the shadows in tracks ahead of train at short distance. As soon as you have some clouds all those shadow effects are not so noticeable and you have a nice picture again.

Game could look superb if they tune such things.

Cheers

28. hightower

hightower Guest

I feel that at 4 years in this particular issue has gone on long enough. Shadow draw always was (is) an issue in Train Simulator and it’s carried over into TSW. From my admittedly limited understanding of UE4, the stationary flickering of the OHLE is likely to be lighting related too.

If the engine upgrade wasn’t done with sorting these particular problems in mind, then I do wonder quite what the point was.

• Like Like x 1