Other So Many Scenery Issues With Boston Sprinter

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WonterRail, Sep 22, 2021.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Well I don't think I can hold this no longer. I have been referencing this in previous scenery reports that I have done on this route, but this is where I will go through as many of this route scenery problems as I can. You see, ever since this route came out, I have noticed many problems with the scenery on this route, so I decided to travel the entire length of the route to try and find as many as I can. But after doing that, I discovered that there are so many more issues with the scenery than what I first thought. I mean, the issues I am about to show you here are on the level of Southeastern High Speed where you can't go a least a few yards without finding one major problem with the scenery on this route.

Like with the SEHS scenery report I did a while back, the issues you will see here will be based on whether you can see them from the following angles.
    1. Drivers point of view
    2. Passengers point of view
    3. Walking point of view
    This way, this means that this post won't get too long. I mean, when taking the images for this report, I ended up taking nearly 150 images of various issues along this route. But I will mainly be bringing up some of the more major ones here.

Also, I'm not going to post the location on the map for each of these issues as that would use up too many images per post, so what I'm going to do is show each issue in the order they were found starting at Boston South and travelling all the way down to Providence and also try to include the rail line as well within the image to help work out where along the route this is located.

Also, I'm not going to go into detail about each issue as there are so many of them. I'll just leave a brief description of some of key ones next to each image and I might go into more detail on some more pressing issues at a later date.

So with all that said, here's all the scenery issues that I was able to find on this route.

Between Boston South & Back Bay

Now there are issues with the scenery in and around Southampton Street Yard, but to save this thread from being too long, I put them in a separate post which you can access by clicking on the link Here

So I guess I've dodged this no longer, without further ado... lets just rip the band aid off...

Located between Back Bay & Forest Hills

Wall that is slightly floating North of Ruggles
    [​IMG]
    Staircases at Ruggles that don't appear to be lined up properly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edge of a house that is floating slightly
    [​IMG]
    Weird placement of a pickup truck in the car park of someone's house just on from the previous issue
    [​IMG]
    Between Forest Hills & Readville

Floating house set north of Forest Hills
    [​IMG]
    A few floating cars located just across from the previous issue
    [​IMG]
    What appears to be a floating garage or something like that
    [​IMG]
    Some general floating scenery issues in-between Forest Hills & Readville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Industrial building that is slightly floating
    [​IMG]
    Floating Road End
    [​IMG]
    Floating road located behind a football pitch
    [​IMG]
    Car stack on top of another car in the same area
    [​IMG]

Continues on next post (This is just the beginning)…

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. WonterRail

Issues around Readville

Missing high-level platforms/station at Readville
    [​IMG]
    Track work problems around Readville yard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating piece of catenary on the Fairmount line leading into Readville high-level
    [​IMG]
    Around Route 128 and then on towards Canton Junction

Floating road come off a bridge at the North end of route 128
    [​IMG]
    Walkway that doesn't appear to be connected to the main station building at Route 128
    [​IMG]
    Route 128 buildings.PNG
    One river section placed on top of another river section south of Route 128
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating scenery items located around the yard South of Route 128
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating fence sections located between Route 128 & Canton Junction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Broken wooden fence located not far from the previous issue (This becomes quite regular from now on)
    [​IMG]
    Floating road interchange section
    [​IMG]
    Missing details on a high platform on Track 2 at Canton Junction
    [​IMG]

Continues on next post...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. WonterRail

Stoughton Branch

Floating road leading away from the route
    [​IMG]
    Two floating buildings located not far from previous issue
    [​IMG]
    Floating Pick Up truck in a car park
    [​IMG]
    A poorly made industrial part with floating building and road section
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating metal fence
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating cars on another car park
    [​IMG]
    On side of PIS boards at Stoughton showing a orange screen EDIT 06/03/2022 This has now been fixed
    [​IMG]
    Very end of the line at Stoughton sinking into the ground
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canton Junction to Sharon

Floating pickup in car park of someone's house
    [​IMG]
    Entire floating house set behind a set of trees
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More broken wooden fencing
    [​IMG]
    Floating DS signs EDIT 06/03/2022 Both of these issues you see below were fixed when the routes catenary was updated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Issues around Sharon

Metal railing that isn't properly connected to the road at the north end of the station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lump in the station car park
    [​IMG]

Continues in next post...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. WonterRail

Sharon to Mansfield

Floating walls around what appears to be some kind of sports facility
    [​IMG]
    Another house with parts of it floating
    [​IMG]
    Another broken wooden fence
    [​IMG]
    Floating road heading towards a building that even clips through the landscape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Same floating road that continues behind a metal fence
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Road that is not connected to a bridge
    [​IMG]
    Floating wooden fence that also appears again to be broken
    [​IMG]
    Floating road that goes over some hills
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating metal fence in the same area as previous issue
    [​IMG]
    A compilation of floating/broken wooden fences
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Track work problems on the siding north of Mansfield
    [​IMG]
    Mansfield yard is poorly made/unfinished (Done a independent thread on this here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/mansfield-yard-looks-unfinished.43954/)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. WonterRail

Mansfield to Attleboro
    Selection of broken wooden fences
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edge of a car park floating around a spur south of Mansfield
    [​IMG]
    Even more broken fences
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating road coming off both ends of a bridge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More broken wooden fences in a yard near Attleboro
    [​IMG]
    Floating house set in the distance as well as some really wonky house placement in the same area
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. WonterRail

Attleboro to South Attleboro

Even more broken wooden fences
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another floating road leading towards a bridge
    [​IMG]
    Floating cars in a car park near South Attleboro as well as some floating scenery details
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    South Attleboro to Providence Part 1

End of a road that is floating west of South Attleboro
    [​IMG]
    Floating scenery set just off in the distance
    [​IMG]
    Floating roads leading off a pair of bridges
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More floating metal fencing
    [​IMG]
    Two floating houses near a bridge crossing the Blackstone river
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two river pieces stack on top of each other as well as another floating house set off to the left
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Floating end of a road next to an industrial building
    [​IMG]
    Final part in next post...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. WonterRail

South Attleboro to Providence Part 2

Another floating road leading onto a bridge around Pawtucket
    [​IMG]
    The old Pawtucket/Central Falls station is completely missing (See this separate post for more: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...ething-big-is-missing-around-pawtucket.45839/)
    [​IMG]
    More floating metal fencing
    [​IMG]
    An area that has floating metal fences and cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A gap in some hedging that joins onto a bridge
    [​IMG]
    …and Finally, a floating house and road that doesn't have a bridge connected to it on the run off, just beyond the end of the line at Providence
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So that's pretty much all the issues that I was able to find, and that might even be all of them. If you have found any scenery issues that I haven't brought up here, then do feel free to leave it down in the replies below.

But boy, I kinda knew from just from a few trips on this route as a passenger that the scenery for this route had a few problems, but from going through all of this, I had no idea that it would be this bad. Now I don't want this thread to comes as me just bashing DTG for the sake of it, as they have proven in the past to have made some good looking routes and even if there were issues, they were relatively minor and can be easily report, like I have down with a few scenery reports leading up to this.

What I do want to get out of this is to raise awareness for the issues regarding the scenery on this route so that hopefully they can be fixed one day because honestly, while this route does have a lot of problems like I've just mentioned, if they were all tidied up a bit, this route would look pretty good. In fact, even with all its problem, this route doesn't even look anywhere near as bad as something like Southeastern High Speed.

It's just that this route needs some major work to polish the issues out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

Thuis is absoluty not bashing, for a simulation game this is pretty bad. The problem is that with each dlc the amount of problems continue tot grow at some point I think there is no way back. Ik am curious what other train simulators the future wil bring, it's only a matter of time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

I've noticed a lot of these same issues. Route 128 is particularly notable, not just for the disconnected walkway, but for the comical way the passengers approach the Northbound/Inbound platform. They spawn in the forest and then walk single-file to the station; it's both hilarious and also fairly disconcerting at the same time. Some of the other scenery issues I would like to see addressed:

1. Appropriate MBTA-stlye station name signs for all stations, not just South, Back Bay, Ruggles
    2. Definitely the inclusion of abandoned Pawtucket-Central Falls
    3. I might be the only one who noticed, but the P&W bridge over the tracks (on MA/RI state line, between I-95 and Route 1) is represented as a roadway, not a railroad. Cars spawn on one end, drive across, and then disappear at the other end. It should be modeled as a railroad track, but I would settle for it at least not having cars.
    4. Ruggles is missing the platform for Track 2, and Back Bay is missing the platform for Tracks 5 & 7. The missing Ruggles platform is particularly felt because services could stop there.

Also, although this isn't a pure scenery issue, I would like to see Forest Hills looking more like it should as well, with it then being included as a station stop for the Needham Branch that you could actually control a service for.

And better representation of the Orange Line. Yup, I just went too far...

But seriously, I really enjoy this DLC and am also not trying to diss DTG. Howevery, I do feel the overall implementation is somewhat sloppy and incomplete.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Wow. You’ve really put a lot of effort into highlighting the scenery issues in Boston Sprinter. And there are an awful lot of them. I really hope DTG is taking notice of your efforts and working to rectify them ASAP. Someone in testing should be going through each route like you have. I’ve stopped playing Boston Sprinter due to all of the signalling issues so I haven’t noticed these issues myself, but they completely spoil the route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WonterRail

Now this might not be related to this route, I wanted to bring it up here as it might explain a lot of the scenery issues that have come up in not only this route, but also a few of the more recent routes to come with TSW2.

Now a few weeks ago, I brought up on the forum a few pieces of floating scenery on the Neilston Branch of the Cathcart Circle Line, which you can see here.

Now today, I reported these issues to DTG via a support ticket, and to be fair, they did come back at me quite quickly saying that they had noted the issue. But at the bottom of the response was this statement that was not only a brief description of why the issue might be happening, but also something that could explain so much about why so many of the recent suffer of so many scenery problems, including this one. I'll let you read it for yourself:

Long and short of it, it's basically that most of the scenery is autogenerated in. Now I get when making a route that it's not going to be possible to hand place every single object, especially in the timeframes that these routes are made, but I will also say that I think it should be a requirement for someone to go through the route and double check to make sure the scenery looks ok, so that we don't end up in situations where the scenery of a route looks like what you have just seen here.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Agreed. Auto placement of objects is all well and good providing the route isn’t spoiled with so many placement ‘errors’. Earlier routes with less automated placement of objects looked far better in the most part. This wouldn’t be a big deal if we weren’t encouraged to explore the route with the addition of collectables, and external camera views. DTG seriously needs to improve this and I hope Brighton Mainline isn’t so badly afflicted with these problems.

13. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Moving aside the floating scenery issues, there’s also a lot of inaccuracies. The major one is the incorrect track model and ballast color. It is 100% obvious DTG reused the track models from NEC New York. However, this section of the line has seen lots of upgrades. Tracks now use white concrete ties, and grey ballast. I have no idea how DTG did not catch this. The second major issue I have is that the trench section has a lot wrong with it. The walls are completely wrong. Idk what the wall is made of, but it is definitely not concrete. The wall is also grey and not peach colored. Lots of the buildings near the trench are incorrect and there is a major lack in trees. You technically shouldn’t even be able to see the buildings when the trees have leaves on them. Those are the main issues I have. I’ll attach an image comparing the scenery at forest hills that covers most of my issues with scenery inaccuracies. I just watched the Tharandter Rampe preview stream, and the scenery quality looks so much higher than NEC could dream of. DTG is clearly not spending enough time on production for US routes, as Sherman Hill’s scenery is also really poor. UK routes are also suffering these exact same issues. DTG should be spending an appropriate amount of time on each route no matter what it is. 8 miles, or 80 miles, DTG needs to spend enough time to the point where it has a satisfactory level of quality. I think DTG should work more with Skyhook games on US routes since they did a pretty good job on Cane Creek, and contributed to HMA which also had great scenery. This route needs scenery improvements terribly. This was our first US passenger route in 2 years, and this route heavily under delivered with its various issues, inaccuracies, and scenery issues. The other rush hour routes have fairly decent scenery, but the scenery on this route is just embarrassing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

How could i miss this thread. Found it because i saw many floating objects while doing the collectable stuff. Didnt reallly play boston a lot.

Well short answer, has some of this been fixed with the updates?

15. WonterRail

Well I've gone back through the route to check on some of these issues, mainly because I decided to file a ticket on all of these issues to DTG support and I can now confirm that out all of these issues brought up here...

…only 3 of them I can comfortably say have been fixed.

One is the PIS at Stoughton that was showing an orange screen which has now been resolved

The second is the floating DS signs between Canton Junction & Sharon, which was fixed when the routes catenary got updated.

…and the last one is one that isn't featured here, but rather one that I brought up when covering the scenery issues around Southampton Street Yard. The issue was this lump of gravel that was floating over the tracks and underneath a bridge, heading in the direction of the Greenbush/Old Colony Lines which trains have to pass through. I can now confirm that this lump is now gone.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

So I guess it's a start? But most of the issues reported here are still there to this day and I even found new ones that I didn't bring up before here (Before anyone asks, I'm not going to report any more scenery issues here, I have decided to put them in the ticket I filed, mainly because I have done enough reporting them on this thread and would rather show them to the ones that might be able to fix these issues... maybe) so in the end, we still have a long... long... long... way to go to ever see this route fully polished.

But like I said, I have now filed a ticket on these issues over on DTG's support (or more like several tickets focusing on the different sections of this route, as doing one big ticket on the whole route would take me ages to do) so hopefully this will bring these issues to DTG's attention a little better and hopefully, we will see these issues be fixed one day, but I guess only time will tell on that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I was looking to report this Blacktone river wierdness but I see you reported it months ago. Hopefully its on a to-do list somewhere.

[​IMG]

DW